Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller can you tell us the tale of your game?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
VD, those of us who paid more than $25 knew from the start that some people would pay less for the game, so I don't see the problem there. For those who paid $25, maybe you should poll to see what they think.

Also, what about kickstarting the AoD based dungeon crawler thingie?
Given the reaction to the Avadon Steam release, I doubt the reaction will be totally benign.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
There are many ways of dealing with that such as offering them a discount on future content equal to (or slightly greater than) the difference in cost. Expansions, sequels, merchandise, anything.
Not for a new indie studio and their first game.

VD, those of us who paid more than $25 knew from the start that some people would pay less for the game, so I don't see the problem there.
Eventually (a year later, for example)? Sure. Right away? Dickery.

Probably not. It will be a quick, very low priced game (4-6 months to make, 2-3 months to test) aimed to boost post-AoD sales. We don't need KS to make it.

As opposed to dropping the price, are you going to do an Indie-style backhand and bloat your price instead? ;)
Meaning?

EG

Nullified
Meaning you hang a "Done" sign on the game and charge $70 instead of $25 at some point. It wasn't a serious question.

How does this being your first game change anything about future incentives for people who have already purchased?

John Yossarian

Magister
VD, those of us who paid more than $25 knew from the start that some people would pay less for the game, so I don't see the problem there.
Eventually (a year later, for example)? Sure. Right away? Dickery.
I dont get it. When I preordered, I did for more than I was required, so I knew from that moment that some people would get the game for less ($25), and that some already had. Whether you cut the price later or not.

It might be dickery to someone who paid $25 because they couldn't pay less, sure. That's why I suggested the poll, to see what they thought. Roguey is probably right that they won't like it much.

Probably not. It will be a quick, very low priced game (4-6 months to make, 2-3 months to test) aimed to boost post-AoD sales. We don't need KS to make it.
It's a sure thing then? And color me skeptical about that timeframe. ;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's a sure thing then? And color me skeptical about that timeframe. ;)
Understandable. For the record though, the estimate is based on the combat demo. We put it together in 2 months and tested it for 6 months because everything needed a lot of work (the balance, the save system, various changes, etc). So I increased the development time by 2-3 times (since we aren't planning anything major there, just a straight-forward crawler) and cut the testing in half because all systems are already there.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I paid 50€ (convert that to $) and unlike Yossarian, if anyone, anywhere, ever gets the game cheaper, I will be pissed off. Like, really pissed off.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
VD, you have one in a lifetime chance to really piss off VoD.

You know what must be done.

Lumpy

Arcane
There are many ways of dealing with that such as offering them a discount on future content equal to (or slightly greater than) the difference in cost. Expansions, sequels, merchandise, anything.
Not for a new indie studio and their first game.
If the dungeon crawler cost $5 dollars and you lowered AoD's price to $20, you could simply throw in the dungeon crawler for whoever pre-ordered.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Imo, the people who preordered did so to show their support and not to get the game cheap or to feel offended when the game gets sold on Steam for a price appropriate for indie games on Steam these days. So, if you can get on Steam, you should.

kaizoku

Arcane
More importantly, which of the following is true:

- a new demo will be released before 2013
- the game will be released before the first thursday of 2013

inb4 none of the above

Well good luck doing game development full time. Hopefully it all works out the right way.

I was going to make a long, reflective response on AoD and what I think would be the best approach given the financial situation and demo reception (and now too, your commitment to this full time) but I think the best option at this point will be to just get AoD sorted out and finished, and then basically duplicate what you've done for it and immediately do either a sequel or new game with a traditional fantasy setting (for faster production) using the engine and technical stuff you have done. I genuinely believe the best policy for you going into the future will be to work on a by-the-numbers RPG that people on the Codex will be very enthusiastic about and not something that attempts a different, unconventional approach like AoD.

EG

Nullified
Well good luck doing game development full time. Hopefully it all works out the right way.

I was going to make a long, reflective response on AoD and what I think would be the best approach given the financial situation and demo reception (and now too, your commitment to this full time) but I think the best option at this point will be to just get AoD sorted out and finished, and then basically duplicate what you've done for it and immediately do either a sequel or new game with a traditional fantasy setting (for faster production) using the engine and technical stuff you have done. I genuinely believe the best policy for you going into the future will be to work on a by-the-numbers RPG that people on the Codex will be very enthusiastic about and not something that attempts a different, unconventional approach like AoD.

To say "It is done" is the way to immortality and a new, swank, career.

almondblight

Arcane
Well, or just wait 6 months or so and drop the price down to $20 or so to get it on Steam. Also, push to get it on Desura and GoG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you do get it on STEAM, you should definitely price it at $19.99. Even though I already have my pre-order that wouldn't bother me.

EG

Nullified
If you do get it on STEAM, you should definitely price it at $19.99. Even though I already have my pre-order that wouldn't bother me.

I'd hunt you down and demand my 5.01 USD back.

You too, VD.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
VD you should just make all future DLC free for people who donated more then steam price.

:troll:
How about extra copies or boxed version or some goodies for people who demand more if there is any?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Throw in some goody for the pre-orderers and get the game on steam man!
I want to see more games from Iron Tower so this shit must sell, I don't get how you would miss out on such a opportunity because someone might be butthurt over a 5 dollar price difference.

Keep in mind that most people who pre-ordered are die hard fans who have been following this game for a long time. I'm pretty sure they will forgive you if you throw in some nice extra for them.

Cassidy

Arcane
Why should I become offended for paying more to own a DRM-free copy than to rent an always online DRM one?

It is the same reason why the boxed copy of AoD is more expensive. Except that the difference here is even greater and more significant.

tl;dr Owning a physical copy > Owning a DRM-free digital copy >>>>>>> Renting a game with Steam bloatware as a bonus.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Imo, the people who preordered did so to show their support and not to get the game cheap or to feel offended when the game gets sold on Steam for a price appropriate for indie games on Steam these days. So, if you can get on Steam, you should.

Amen Brother if I wanted game cheap I would use the service of Local Bucaneers. ;) Not to mention Steam is pile of shit and renting games from there is no worth a Jewgold dime. But if VD wants to make Jewgold out of some retards steam loosers users I am all for it. :salute:

Livonya

Augur
Patron
The one thing I have never understood is the constant complaining about AoD production time.

Perhaps, due to my advanced age of 45 and the fact that I have been playing games for 30 years, that I simply don't care when it comes out. Unlike a lot of young people I will still be playing games in 10, 20, 30 years. Nothing is going to change that. I need a good RPG today, but I will also need a good RPG in 5 years. What I don't need is an unfinished buggy game that doesn't really work.

I need this game and every game ever released to be finished. Nothing less than finished.

I can think of literally hundreds of games that would have been much, much, much better if the development teams spent more time.

The one problem with Kickstarter is that the time frame is limited by money. I worry that some of these games will be forced out unfinished due to diminishing funds.

I would rather games come out late, and be finished. End of story.

If it takes the AoD team 2 more years to finish then I pray that they actually take the 2 years... because the alternative is just so much worse.

I will get just as much enjoyment from AoD if it comes out next Thursday in 2012, as I will if it comes out in Thursday of 2015.

No development team should ever have to apologize for taking too long. The apology should always be for releasing something that isn't actually ready for release. That is offensive.

EG

Nullified
Fear of death is a great motivator for lodging complaints about time frames.

Hey, you're almost dead, Livonya . . .

It's been worth it to see the gradual change in VD from raging 'FUCKING GAME INDUSTRY WHY DO YOU MAKE SHIT GAMES!' to jaded 'wow, this is actually really difficult. It's totally possible to have all the right intentions, love good games and still screw this up. And don't get me started on having to decide on features to include and cut...'/

EG

Nullified
It's been worth it to see the gradual change in VD from raging 'FUCKING GAME INDUSTRY WHY DO YOU MAKE SHIT GAMES!' to jaded 'wow, this is actually really difficult. It's totally possible to have all the right intentions, love good games and still screw this up. And don't get me started on having to decide on features to include and cut...'/

Consider this a brofist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom