Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah, because it's the Nexus that delivers the ultra-high texture nipple mods, not the modders.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, because it's the Nexus that delivers the ultra-high texture nipple mods, not the modders.

You do realise I'm talking about the Nexus modders, right? Many of them only upload their content at the Nexus because other places like Steam Workshop are 'teh evahl.'

visions

Arcane
Want to have a greater PnP experience? Fuck the stats and skills and dices, let the GM take you to a magical adventure.
kOxNo.png

Gygax wept.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

You do realise I'm talking about the Nexus modders, right? Many of them only upload their content at the Nexus because other places like Steam Workshop are 'teh evahl.'

Point is, making the Nexus the official place for mods or whatever won't mean there's going to be more furry six breast body mods. They were going to happen anyway - though I agree, they probably would've been hosted at the Nexus.

Want to have a greater PnP experience? Fuck the stats and skills and dices, let the GM take you to a magical adventure.
kOxNo.png
Except in cRPG it just doesn't work because there is no GM and computers can't really hand anything but numbers.
:M
Doesn't work like that in PnP either. Legions of freeformtards have tried to make systems that enhance roleplaying by removing the rules. They have all failed. You can't ever deepen an experience by dumbing it down, not even in PnP.

What you see there is a classic comment coming from a person who has never done any serious PnP roleplaying. See it all the time on the webs. You can identify them very easily.

IMO it just comes down to a really basic misunderstanding regarding what it means to roleplay. If your character has no limitations, if there is no way to tell what capacity it has to do things, you can not possibly roleplay it in any significant way.

People who have played with a number of different systems generally know this to be true. The people advocating freeform roleplaying systems for RP reasons are the Oblivion-LARPers of the PnP world, who want no limitations or rules holding their power-fantasy characters back, except that there aren't as many of them. They are a plague.

Despite what these tards say, the rules ARE a major part of the PnP experience.

Kraszu

Prophet
kOxNo.png

Game master: lets start the adventure, you are undefined person with unknown traits, and statistics who is attacked by Orcs.
Player:Err cast fireball on them?
Game master:You don't know that spell.
Player:What can I do.
Game master: you are undefined person with unknown traits, and statistics
Player: I attack them in melee with my best weapon.
Game master:You had punched Orc with bare hand, your hand is now broken.

Advanced no traits&stats rpg.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
kOxNo.png
Except in cRPG it just doesn't work because there is no GM and computers can't really hand anything but numbers.
Doesn't work like that in PnP either. Legions of freeformtards have tried to make systems that enhance roleplaying by removing the rules. They have all failed. You can't ever deepen an experience by dumbing it down, not even in PnP.

What you see there is a classic comment coming from a person who has never done any serious PnP roleplaying. See it all the time on the webs. You can identify them very easily.

IMO it just comes down to a really basic misunderstanding regarding what it means to roleplay. If your character has no limitations, if there is no way to tell what capacity it has to do things, you can not possibly roleplay it in any significant way.

People who have played with a number of different systems generally know this to be true. The people advocating freeform roleplaying systems for RP reasons are the Oblivion-LARPers of the PnP world, who want no limitations or rules holding their power-fantasy characters back, except that there aren't as many of them. They are a plague.

Despite what these tards say, the rules ARE a major part of the PnP experience.
Absolutely. Now, I like playing very (VERY) storyfag heavy PnP. But even if we don't roll most of the time (due to the type of scenes commonly occurring), I sure as hell wouldn't want to remove the stats and skills.

What things like our Retards Anonymous poster there don't understand is exactly what you said: The character sheet and rules provide a FRAMEWORK for the story to occur in. They enable you to gauge and describe the character in a very universal manner before you even get into everything more important like his actual character and inner workings. Now, you might argue if you should start at the character sheet or fleshing out part, but that's irrelevant. Point is, the rules enable the collaborative narrative of the players and the GM to work.

Another important element is that the rules enable the creation of the illusion/actual possibility of danger and failure. They can function as a device of tension if well-used (though obviously the more storyheavy a game, the more smooth and skilled the GM has to be in avoiding random accidents befalling his protagonists). Character creation and overall system also help set up the genre being played, which is equally important for the campaign as a whole.

But I would say certain systems (ie, DnD without houseruling) are too game-y in their approach. For example, resurrection spells are the gayest shit ever if you ask me, they're possibly THE most narratively destructive element DnD can possibly have.

But I would say certain systems (ie, DnD without houseruling) are too game-y in their approach. For example, resurrection spells are the gayest shit ever if you ask me, they're possibly THE most narratively destructive element DnD can possibly have.

When I DM DnD games, I usually don't like having resurrection around, at least not without heavy and permanent penalties. I made a table once where ressurection (even of the true kind) would do some kind of irreversible damage to your soul or mind, and if you managed to res (not easy, you can't just buy it from a cleric) you would have to roll a random one. Some were very mean, as in rolling up a new character might be better than living with them. Ressing was made availible, but sometimes not really desirable. I also basically changed the spell so that it was a blasphemous act of dark magic a little reminiscent of reanimation through necromancy. Surprisingly, a lot of the players didn't feel like using it anyway. It's shit like that which makes good roleplay. Living with your decisions. A good party would never use this spell, and few would want it done on themselves.

How do you deal with not being able to res freely? You roleplay it. Is your character willing to risk his or her life for this? No? Then when it gets too difficult, you run and don't fight until TPK.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, and it's pretty DnD specific, since most systems don't have resurrection mechanics in them.

That's a pretty good ruling on it, though I do hope you made it a Divine/Arcane spell following changes. On the other hand, I have giant issues with Clerics anyway, I think the class is fundamentally stupid and should be replaced with something like Oracle from Pathfinder.

canakin

Cipher
kOxNo.png

That was exactly what I was trying to tell the dumbfuck who posted that, he was implying that Deus Ex is more of an rpg than Ultima, Wizardry or whatever. Fucking people, so inclined the decline everything "The best rpg ever" if it has an avarage story. Fuck story.

Well, what do these freeform fuckfests really play like? Could play like this:

Game master: lets start the adventure, you are undefined person with unknown traits, and statistics who is attacked by Orcs.
Player:Err cast fireball on them?
Game master:You don't know that spell.
Player:What can I do.
Game master: you are undefined person with unknown traits, and statistics
Player: I attack them in melee with my best weapon.
Game master:You had punched Orc with bare hand, your hand is now broken.

Advanced no traits&stats rpg.

Or could play like this (find RP thread on weeaboo forum, gasp in horror):

GM : Let's start the adventure. You are a party consisting of half-elf half-Sonic the Hedgehog mage-knight of AwWWeSUMM Karate Chops and bromancing Dick of Doom, Loli half-dragon half-succubus cleric of Sephiroth and Fullblade wielding Cloud ripoff. You are in town what do you do?
Player 1: I rape the haawt city guard with my dick of doom so her platemail goes inside!
Gm :okay... She screams in pain as the metal tears up her insides. What now?
Player 2: I romance Sephiroth!
Gm : Sephiroth isn't in this campaign.
Player 2: Is too! I am a cleric of the church of Sephiroth and hot sex is our most holy ritual!
Gm : ...... You are attacked by guards after raping haawt guard.
Player 3: I use my limit break!
Gm : ....

Would I want to play any of that? How about no?

So yeah. That no rules shit is only for fags wanting some kind of wish fulfillment with allpowerful characters not held back by such trivialities as game mechanics. Alternatively it's just a clustershit of fuck. Maybe both.

Edit: Edited for parrot fail.

Angthoron

Arcane
Another thing that rulesets do for PnP games is create a fair chance for players to actually lose. Let's be fair, if there'd be no rules, everyone would be a fucking superhero genius that can parry any blow, charm any maiden and pick any lock, simply because people don't like to fail, and if you have a group of people that never fails, you might as well just read them a fucking story about how goddamned awesome they are, because it's just going to be a linear, boring self-insertion ego parade that way. Rules, limitations and chance are the thing that actually make things interesting.

Vaarna_Aarne

Another thing that rulesets do for PnP games is create a fair chance for players to actually lose. Let's be fair, if there'd be no rules, everyone would be a fucking superhero genius that can parry any blow, charm any maiden and pick any lock, simply because people don't like to fail, and if you have a group of people that never fails, you might as well just read them a fucking story about how goddamned awesome they are, because it's just going to be a linear, boring self-insertion ego parade that way. Rules, limitations and chance are the thing that actually make things interesting.
The idea that you need to actively fight the GM so you "win" is is almost as bad as the kind of wankery mentioned before. If you want to do that you should play a boardgame instead. It's also partially responsible for the wankery, since it's the kind of thinking that leads to it (meaning that you're in it to win the game).

Angthoron

Arcane
The idea that you need to actively fight the GM so you "win" is is almost as bad as the kind of wankery mentioned before. If you want to do that you should play a boardgame instead. It's also partially responsible for the wankery, since it's the kind of thinking that leads to it (meaning that you're in it to win the game).
I'm not saying you're in to "win" the game, I'm saying people don't like to voluntarily lose a fight. Will a player ever let their character be killed, if there's no dice rolls to fumble or skill checks to make?

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm not saying you're in to "win" the game, I'm saying people don't like to voluntarily lose a fight. Will a player ever let their character be killed, if there's no dice rolls to fumble or skill checks to make?
I would say that if the GM has a good story and a good cast, he doesn't want said characters get killed randomly, much less so than the players even.

Angthoron

Arcane
I would say that if the GM has a good story and a good cast, he doesn't want said characters get killed randomly, much less so than the players even.
Then where's the threat? It becomes pretty much like BioShock with its respawning machines - you know you can't lose a fight. No GM should actively want to have the cast killed, but there should be some sort of a challenge. How do you provide it to a party that has no limitations? I'm genuinely curious here, as I've not played much PnP, let alone one that has no rulesets.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Bollocks. Killing characters off is half the fun of being a gamemaster.

Then where's the threat? It becomes pretty much like BioShock with its respawning machines - you know you can't lose a fight. No GM should actively want to have the cast killed, but there should be some sort of a challenge. How do you provide it to a party that has no limitations? I'm genuinely curious here, as I've not played much PnP, let alone one that has no rulesets.
Here I believe Vaarna is completely wrong. It is true that GMs should not kill players. Dice and players, however, should be completely capable of killing players.

No! Unless maybe if you are a really low level noob I will not save your character if you do stupid shit. Living with your limitations is part of roleplaying a character, and so is not doing shit that's likely to get your character killed. Your character won't run away? Tough shit man, you're dead. Roll up a new one. Good riddance and Darwin award to that stupid orc barbarian who didn't want to run even after his hit points dropped below 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom