Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #18: George Ziets and Paladins

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Chris Avellone; George Ziets; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

The latest update for Obsidian's Project Eternity promises what I've been personally long waiting for: George Ziets, the lead on Mask of the Betrayer, as a stretch goal. Paladins and Chanters together make another stretch goal:

New Stretch Goals for $2.7m and $2.8m

We are happy to announce two more classes for the 2.7m stretch goal. With your pledges we now have Barbarians and Ciphers as playable classes, and now we would like to add Paladins and Chanters to round out our class selection for Project Eternity, bringing the class total to 11.

Paladins are extremely devoted, often fanatical, soldiers who have pledged themselves to a chosen cause, combining the zeal of a priest with the ascetic discipline of a monk. They have founded many elite fighting forces, from the original Darcozzi Paladini, a two thousand year-old order of palace guards, to the fledgling Fellows of St. Waidwen Martyr, zealous defenders of the Godhammer pilgrim trail. Often found at the vanguard of many conflicts, paladins are natural leaders and have the ability to quickly assist their allies with targeted commands. A paladin's commands can stave off impending death, overcome fatigue, or hasten the charge to close breached defenses. And though they are not always pledged to the service of a god or gods, paladins are so singularly focused on their chosen cause that their souls are continually creating a wellspring of spiritual energy from which they can blast groups of foes in their immediate vicinity. Despite their often stoic presence and explosive combat style, paladins work best alongside allies. When isolated, they can be vulnerable, especially against singular powerful foes.

Chanters can be found in almost any culture, but are most often seen in communities with a strong oral tradition. They are repositories of folk knowledge and common wisdom, tellers of tall tales and hallowed legends. Though chanters have a bit of minor talent in traditional arts of combat and soul-based magic, their true power lies in their chants. Chanters construct chants from individual iconic phrases and rhyming couplets they have memorized from hundreds of stories and poems, creating a chain of magical effects that plays out over time. While chanters do use the power of their souls to work their magic, chants are exhortations to the unconscious memory of wayward souls and the diffused spiritual energy of the world. That is, ambient spirits respond to the evocation of ancient, common story elements and play their part in reconstructing the chanter's tales. While a chanter's magic may seem modest compared to that of a wizard or a priest, chanters are able to recite their chants while occupied with other activities, making them extremely versatile.

It’s our pleasure to introduce our next stretch goal of George Ziets at $2.8m – with your help, we’ll be able to enlist the skills of George Ziets in shaping Project Eternity. For those not familiar with George’s work, he was the creative lead and core writer behind the acclaimed Mask of the Betrayer - the first expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights 2. George leant his talents to many of Obsidian’s other games including Fallout: New Vegas.​

Read the update in full here.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It’s our pleasure to introduce our next stretch goal of George Ziets at $2.8m – with your help, we’ll be able to enlist the skills of George Ziets in shaping Project Eternity. For those not familiar with George’s work, he was the creative lead and core writer behind the acclaimed Mask of the Betrayer - the first expansion pack for Neverwinter Nights 2. George leant his talents to many of Obsidian’s other games including Fallout: New Vegas.​

o_O

I kinda took it for granted he would work on the game...

Apart from that the classes they are giving are just copy-paste of D&D. I hope they will have some fun, unique mechanics that will differentiate them from their antecedents.

Deleted member 7219

I want a row of bobbleheads. Sawyer, Cain, Ziets, Avellone, Urquhart.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Apart from that the classes they are giving are just copy-paste of D&D. I hope they will have some fun, unique mechanics that will differentiate them from their antecedents.
Their Paladins are nothing like DnD Paladins or any DnD class I'm aware of.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That banner with his face is a fucking laugh riot.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Their Paladins are nothing like DnD Paladins or any DnD class I'm aware of.

They sound a bit like 4e Leader types, especially Warlord ( https://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20080421a ):

A paladin's commands can stave off impending death

Sounds like healing/temporary HP.

overcome fatigue, or hasten the charge to close breached defenses.

Sounds like buffing

can blast groups of foes in their immediate vicinity

Didn't play much 4e, but a short range burst of damage seems like it could fit into the Warlord or Cleric power set.

I'm not complaining, it definitely sounds like it would be more fun to play than the generic RPG Paladin.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't actually play 4E, guess I should have said traditional dnd classes :oops:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is Ziets really that big of a name outside of the Codex? And didn't most mainstream reviews slam MotB for its spirit eater mechanics?

gromit

Arcane
WTF is Ziets doing for work, that they can publically advertise "maybe" hiring him back on? How do you even put in notice for such a situation: "hey, if my old bosses raise the funds, I'm outta here... if not, no hard feelings, yeah?"

Anyway, excited for him and hoping they bring him back on (for good.)

tuluse

Arcane
WTF is Ziets doing for work, that they can publically advertise "maybe" hiring him back on? How do you even put in notice for such a situation: "hey, if my old bosses raise the funds, I'm outta here... if not, no hard feelings, yeah?"

Anyway, excited for him and hoping they bring him back on (for good.)
Pretty obvious he was going to be back regardless and this is just trying to raise money.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Can someone please provide a full list of the character classes that will be in this game now, I haven't been keeping up much on that part.

Glad to see Ziets coming on board, and I really want that party creation goal too. Thankfully, that's pretty likely, there's always a huge boost in donations the last couple days.

Shannow

Waster of Time
GEORGE MOTHERFUCKING ZIETS!

:dance:
Kinda suspicious how this update takes in all the stuff you and some others here have been asking about...
Obsidian can't even think of their own stretch goals :troll:

Anyway, time to start speculating what their final budget will be:
What do other KS curves suggest? Something around 3-3.2 mio?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Kinda suspicious how this update takes in all the stuff you and some others here have been asking about..."

I know you are trolling as that is what Codexers do, but god forbid they atcually listen to people interested in the game might be interested in to add to said game. R00fles!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom