Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Doom 64 the best Doom?

GeorgeWood

Educated

After the uninspired sequel and knock-off's like Final Doom after SNES classic Doom (sorry PC purists, the only PC games I played and completed were original Fallout's because of the funny dialogues, and only with cheats and hint guides to get through all that sluggish combat) it felt like Doom was dead and buried. Then came Doom64 and it blow me out of the ballpark. It reinvented Doom franchise as a whole, and Doom was kicking again. Anyone agrees? Just look at the improved visuals and great level design. And of course, you can kick some more major alien you know what.

(SNES manual references to them as alien's, so I am sticking with it).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I played the Doom 64 maps in GZDoom (I think) a while back and REALLY enjoyed them. Surprisingly awesome. Don't think I backed that up, which sucks... gonna have to figure all that out again.

Destroid

Arcane
Never played it, I'm sure not having to aim on the vertical helps alleviate a lot of the controller issues though.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You can download Doom 64 for Windows here:

http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

I played it back when it was still called Absolution and not EX, but as I understand it EX is a continuation of the same thing with some of the original stuff added back in that the engine didn't support at the time. The levels were surprisingly cool - very different from the original Doom ones, but full of secrets, with a good mix of big, non-linear ones and more corridor-style layouts. The different level design plus the updated visuals and sounds are also a breath of fresh air. Definitely worth playing, it might not be as good or memorable as the original levels but it is still a lot of fun.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Doom64EX is the way to go. Excellent reconstruction.

Also for anyone wanting to replay the original dooms, he should try the Brutal Doom mod. Great mod, I can't imagine going back to the sluggish original now.

TripJack

Hedonist
sup drog

doom 64 is p cool but i prefer doom 2, mostly for all the wads

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

After the uninspired sequel and knock-off's like Final Doom after SNES classic Doom (sorry PC purists, the only PC games I played and completed were original Fallout's because of the funny dialogues, and only with cheats and hint guides to get through all that sluggish combat) it felt like Doom was dead and buried. Then came Doom64 and it blow me out of the ballpark. It reinvented Doom franchise as a whole, and Doom was kicking again. Anyone agrees? Just look at the improved visuals and great level design. And of course, you can kick some more major alien you know what.

(SNES manual references to them as alien's, so I am sticking with it).

Fucking console controls man. :hmmm:

GeorgeWood

Educated
I am sure Doom 4 will surpass RPGCodex expectations.

Doom 2 was a major dissapointment for me back in the day. Since you were on earth, why the hell did it looked like I was still on the same base on Mars? Duke Nukem 3D is what Doom 2 should have been. More interaction with the outside world. Wouldn't it be great if Doom could've showed us the outside world? Maybe give us an interactive story experience. Maybe even a chance to drive a car. Or maybe even a chance to be in frontlines for alien invasion. Imagine, a ''Saving Private Ryan'' experience.

Or maybe, Doom 2 could've ripped off ''First Blood.''

Just imagine this. By being the previous character from first Doom, you, a mentally disturbed space marine get's in trouble with local police, which results in an epic manhunt. Every step can be your last. ID software didn't pushed it's sequel possibilities enough.

mck

Cipher
this gimmick is actually pretty funny to me. please keep this dude around as long as he doesn't run it into the doom ground.

also, those gaming in the clinton years videos are all histerical. I love when he gives you the cheat code to get to the end of the game to see the ending (which wasn't very good, but the graphics are state of the art and will certainly be emulated for years to come. Avoid this game at all costs)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I like how in that review the guy says "great controls" while not being able to hit a hell knight from the distance of 3 metres at the very same moment.

Kahlis

Cipher
Plutonia is the best Doom IWAD in terms of gameplay. Plutonia 2 is even better - probably one of the best MegaWADs released in the past few years. It has the chaotic, "arena" feel of the maps in the original, but is also very aesthetically pleasing in its level design and has a great original musical score.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom