Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Captain Shrek

Mrowak you dumbass :lol:

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey was wrong!

How long has this project been in the concept stage, prior to Kickstarter? Was it conceived to be a crowdfunded project?

prior to kickstarter, not very long -- maybe a month or so (adam may know more specifically). we conceived of it as a crowdfunded project.
Can't win' em all. Wonder why he was messing around with Unity back in May and July then:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/202813647595118594
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/statuses/225751798093328385

Sawyer's not a programmer so it wouldn't be for professional use anyway. Unity is very easy to use and even a complete amateur could probably make a decent hiking simulator (literally) if he took a few hours to learn the basics. I can see why he'd like it.
Another thing I just remembered is that he may only be referring to PE in this particular iteration. Cause here he implied he was very recently working on something unusual that ended up getting canned internally:
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/374937522343528900
I worked on a fantasy setting that had a pretty unusual art style (well, the whole setting was unusual). The people who liked it really loved it, but a lot of people really didn't like it (even if they appreciated the aesthetics of it). Part of the reason was because the unusual choices of characters, equipment, and landscape made it difficult for a person to look at a scene and think, "This is a fantasy setting."
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/378574524465038827
Finally, with a lot of our "weirder" ideas, it can take a while to bring those to fruition. Speaking from recent, painful experience, when you start developing something that is genuinely unusual, everyone involved in the process of creating it invariably has a different picture of that thing in his or her head. In some cases, individuals may be unable to visualize it at all.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506352&userid=17931#post407541690
I worked on a fantasy setting that used Syriac and Bulgarian as linguistic starting points. It was a pretty weird world in a lot of ways and the naming didn't help most people get into it. Some really loved it, which I appreciated in a vain sort of way, but the point of communication is to share an idea with someone. If the idea is clever but no one "gets" the feeling you're going for, it's hard to view that as a success.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer said:
in cases where design mechanics tend to lead to degenerate gameplay (e.g. savescumming, rest spamming), we try to think of ways to remove the degeneration without harming the enjoyable mechanical elements. if a mechanic seems like it's not adding genuine challenge, we question if it should stand as-is.

with regard to regenerating health and spell cooldowns, we're not intending on having the former (though we have talked about a darklands endurance-like stat), and spells will not have cooldowns in the way that some people have assumed (per spell). when we discuss spell mechanics, i've tried to use the term "lockout" to communicate that it's much like a sorcerer exhausting an entire level of casting in 3E D&D.

Captain Shrek

Josh Sawyer said:
in cases where design mechanics tend to lead to degenerate gameplay (e.g. savescumming, rest spamming), we try to think of ways to remove the degeneration without harming the enjoyable mechanical elements. if a mechanic seems like it's not adding genuine challenge, we question if it should stand as-is.

with regard to regenerating health and spell cooldowns, we're not intending on having the former (though we have talked about a darklands endurance-like stat), and spells will not have cooldowns in the way that some people have assumed (per spell). when we discuss spell mechanics, i've tried to use the term "lockout" to communicate that it's much like a sorcerer exhausting an entire level of casting in 3E D&D.
THe important question is of course if endurance will be on REGEN. :troll:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
T.J. Hafer:
Alright, we'll close with this next one. Unfortunately it would take us an ETERNITY to get to all these questions. (Insert Picard facepalm.)

4:24
Comment From Andrew

What does the future at Obsidian hold if Project Eternity becomes a success?

Last question wasted on such a stupid worthless fucking question while my question about dungeon puzzles was ignored. Journalists gonna journalist.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
At least we learned about the last race, eh?

Yeah, half-orcs.
Hmm..

I was thinking orcs or lizardmen. Half orcs is not a race however accurately cliche it may be.

I'm going by the D&D template which they're clearly following. Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halfings and Half-orcs (though the last 2 aren't actually called that).

Hopefully the "half-orcs" actually turn out to be something a bit different, maybe like the mooks from wizardry.

Captain Shrek

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gnomes are depicted with large ears a lot, the two-tone fur-ears might be gnome-analogues instead of halflings.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Gnomes are depicted with large ears a lot, the two-tone fur-ears might be gnome-analogues instead of halflings.

They are also fairly, err, rogueish, which is a halfling trait. Though maybe they just rolled gnomes and halflings into one race. D&D had too many midgets running around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Note: Project Eternity has now surpassed Wasteland 2 in terms of average pledge per backer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom