Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Miserable Success! + P:E closes with $3.9M raised

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You did not need to stop the drive when you did and indeed you were proved spectacularly wrong a few days ago when you snorted in disdain that no-one would fund the $5000 in time and wanted to close it there and then.
And yet here you are, still wanting to keep it open because... because... because... What? You haven't had enough final chances yet?

Which do you prefer DU?
Pool's closed.

Deal+with+it_d67025_3849064.jpg

Tycn

Savant

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
It's ok, GameBanshee's tavern will be an incomplete backwater to reflect their level of funding, while ours will be an opulent extravaganza that's over twice as big as theirs.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
We should definitely bust Obsidian's balls for an adventuring party + tavern combo.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not that I want to bitch in my first post, but someone got tavern for a mere 4644$:

a total of $4644. While that's slightly shy of the $5000 necessary to get a banshee-themed inn, NPC, and weapon into the game, Obsidian has graciously agreed to give us a small discount on the pledge tier we've been hoping for all along.
source: http://gamebanshee.com/news/109820-...n-gamebanshee-immortalization-successful.html

Well since we raised more than twice their pathetically feeble effort despite the cajoling and whipping by Brother None and Sea(maybe), then we should get exactly the same courtesy and then some!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Well since we raised more than twice their pathetically feeble effort despite the cajoling and whipping by Brother None and Sea(maybe), then we should get exactly the same courtesy and then some!
You mean like.... two inns?

Two inns fighting each other in a perpetual battle as to who has the better implementation of beer. One side insisting that their Real Taste with Parsnip is much preferred over the others Tastily Brewed.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You mean like.... two inns?

Two inns fighting each other in a perpetual battle as to who has the better implementation of beer. One side insisting that their Real Taste with Parsnip is much preferred over the others Tastily Brewed.

Actually that would be pretty cool, and more circlejerk insider wankery that would fit in well with all the other custom NPC's, items etc. before they are modded out. Hell, if we're going for it better go for it properly!

I think it would be interesting to have the tavern linked in some way to the Party, perhaps a note on the dead adventurers giving directions or something in the tavern giving the approximate location of the party. Would be a cool optional 'sidequest' if done right, just like in the old days where you'd have this content you'd stumble across that wouldn't be marked and you'd feel like a badarse when you folled the crumbs to a conclusion and got some cool shit.

Stinger

Arcane
Party like it's '08, Randy-style! WHOOOO!

You know? Oddly enough that may fit here just right.
Oh FFS, show some enthusiasm at least. You will get your plan next time. I promise. :roll:

Sorry, I've been drifting in and out of here due to being stuck in Buttfuck, Nowhere with a terrible net connection.

What's this 'plan' that Mrowak mentioned and what was he hoping for?

From my end I was initially a little let down with RtwP but as the campaign went on and we got more info I was honestly pretty darn impressed with it in the end.

Especially that incredible screenshot.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Party like it's '08, Randy-style! WHOOOO!

You know? Oddly enough that may fit here just right.
Oh FFS, show some enthusiasm at least. You will get your plan next time. I promise. :roll:

Sorry, I've been drifting in and out of here due to being stuck in Buttfuck, Nowhere with a terrible net connection.

What's this 'plan' that Mrowak mentioned and what was he hoping for?

From my end I was initially a little let down with RtwP but as the campaign went on and we got more info I was honestly pretty darn impressed with it in the end.

Especially that incredible screenshot.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-will-play-arcanum.77014/page-3#post-2321307

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-will-play-arcanum.77014/page-3#post-2321319

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-codex-review-inquisitor.77003/#post-2319938

And so on, and on and on. I am through it though.. At this point we can just hope my fears are completely unfounded: they know exactly what they are doing and that they will deliver exactly what they offered in their marketing. Because when was the last time a major dev failed to deliver what their marketing promised, right lads?

Stinger

Arcane
And so on, and on and on. I am through it though.. At this point we can just hope my fears are completely unfounded: they know exactly what they are doing and that they will deliver exactly what they offered in their marketing. Because when was the last time a major dev failed to deliver what their marketing promised, right lads?

Ah fair enough, to be honest I doubt you'll see a proper fully realised explanation of any mechanics till they actually get to work on implementing the mechanics. If this game's development follows WL2's model then the first 6 months will be design and I doubt we'll get anything clear till after that.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Ah fair enough, to be honest I doubt you'll see a proper fully realised explanation of any mechanics till they actually get to work on implementing the mechanics. If this game's development follows WL2's model then the first 6 months will be design and I doubt we'll get anything clear till after that.

But you know that exactly strikes me as odd. You average Jonny has to show half of a game ready before he gets the funding on Kickstarter. They cannot, because the scope of their project is too wide - that's understandable. However, the design part is (relatively) the most inexpensive, but also very time-consuming. So it stands to reason it should be done before the kickstarter campaign began, so they know exactly what they are going to do and to provide the backers with something. Well, they did provide us with marketing, alright.

As it is they know they want to make BG2 clone with compelling mature story, a tactical RTwP combat with 11 classes, a 12 level mega-dungeon, enchanting, a stronghold and two cities. Also they know they have to insert 80+ unique NPCs from the campaign funders, at least 4 parties and 4 inns that have to blend seamlesly with the game. Also most quests should be allowed to be completed in a number of ways, and it ought to be possible for a single character to beat the game without companions (despite the tactical combat). Also they said they would do all that in approximately 18 months. Without a familiar game engine and no ready assets.

I see so many ways this could end up in a typical clusterfuck (just look at Obsidian's track record), and not a single one that could alleviate my fears. That's why a plan, a vision document would be in order - to prove to us their promises are not written on water, and that they know how to string them together. As it is, they are going to start with the design process now - which will consume a lot of their time - while artistic, coding and user-experience teams will do, I don't know what. Probably banding together designing the worthy successor of NWN2 user interface. Or worse, they will get to that point 5 minutes before the end of countdown, because they couldn't work on it without a plan. Ehh...

MCA
DarkUnderlord, so it looks like PayPal fees aren't a fixed percentage and vary based on time or what the fuckever else? The percentage of fees is different between Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity.

Wasteland 2:
Raised: $10,829
Transferred: $10,323
PayPal: $506 = 4,672638286083664%

Project Eternity:
Raised: $9,679.60
Transferred: $9,037.52
PayPal: $642.08 = 6,633331955865945%

I couldn't find the total raised for Dead State for comparison; only the sum that went to KS.

Does this have anything to do with transferring the money through KS vs. PayPal?

MCA

But you know that exactly strikes me as odd. You average Jonny has to show half of a game ready before he gets the funding on Kickstarter. They cannot, because the scope of their project is too wide - that's understandable. However, the design part is (relatively) the most inexpensive, but also very time-consuming. So it stands to reason it should be done before the kickstarter campaign began, so they know exactly what they are going to do and to provide the backers with something. Well, they did provide us with marketing, alright.

As it is they know they want to make BG2 clone with compelling mature story, a tactical RTwP combat with 11 classes, a 12 level mega-dungeon, enchanting, a stronghold and two cities. Also they know they have to insert 80+ unique NPCs from the campaign funders, at least 4 parties and 4 inns that have to blend seamlesly with the game. Also most quests should be allowed to be completed in a number of ways, and it ought to be possible for a single character to beat the game without companions (despite the tactical combat). Also they said they would do all that in approximately 18 months. Without a familiar game engine and no ready assets.

I see so many ways this could end up in a typical clusterfuck (just look at Obsidian's track record), and not a single one that could alleviate my fears. That's why a plan, a vision document would be in order - to prove to us their promises are not written on water, and that they know how to string them together. As it is, they are going to start with the design process now - which will consume a lot of their time - while artistic, coding and user-experience teams will do, I don't know what. Probably banding together designing the worthy successor of NWN2 user interface. Or worse, they will get to that point 5 minutes before the end of countdown, because they couldn't work on it without a plan. Ehh...

Pointless drivel. If you didn't need a detailed vision document before donating, you sure as hell don't need one after. They may or may not provide one, completely as a courtesy.

All that reward-oriented content: they most likely would have liked to add those things in anyway. If they didn't already want to have several inns or taverns with different character/atmosphere and several enemy adventuring parties, they most likely wouldn't have offered them as reward tiers in the first place.

As for development pipeline, they already seem to have started with the 3D-to-2D environment pipeline and it looks okay. I don't think they will run into any major bumps as far as PC version is concerned. Linux and Mac, however, I don't feel so confident about. Especially the Linux port.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
If we're gonna have adventure group, I don't want it to be anyone related to RPGCodex because that would be too blatant and it would be very out of place. The Adventuring group needs to be subtle that it doesn't jump out of the game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I think"The Cesspool" is more fitting. Plus it will give RPGwatchers something to think about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom