Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Im in an RPG dry spell please help

Orlon

Novice
Ok hello to those I dont know Im new but not new I know some of you but not really ah to heck with it. Anyway Im about to pull my hair out looking for a good RPG to play and need some expert help. Ive covered all of the obvious bases and now Im looking for something ive misseed. I like "Role" playing games not "Roll" playing games. Heres a short list of likes and dislikes

Love:
Fallout series
Arcanum

Like:
Wizadry
PS:T

Dislike
Bioware Crap
Evercrack

So let me know what your favs are that I might have missed and can go bargin-binning for. The sad state of RPG's is very disheartning to me. I actually got so desperate as to buy <gasp> "harbinger" cause it was the only one i hadnt played but that lasted all of 5 sec. Thanks for any help

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Troika fan it seems you are? Buy TOEE. I heard rumours that it is the deepest role-playing game of all time.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hi there, Orlon, and welcome.
*looks at love/like/dislike lists* Your credentials seems to be in order :)

Well, if you've been lurking for awhile, then you know that we usually recommend Prelude to Darkness, Geneforge, Avernum 3 - all excellent shareware rpgs and, of course, Temple of Elemental Evil, the dungeon crawler supreme.

Volourn said:
Troika fan it seems you are? Buy TOEE. I heard rumours that it is the deepest role-playing game of all time.
But not as deep as NWN :roll:

Orlon

Novice
Definatly a Troika fan used to Mirc with Saint and have talked to Tim a few times. I plan n getting ToEE WHEN/IF it makes it to my pitiful little tropical island. I will definatly have a look at the game smentioned. Thanks

Volourn

Pretty Princess
RP, nope; I never have a bad day.

VD, no, TOEE is the best crpg of all time. I'd rate it 105%. Stop being a troll, and hinting that TOEE sucks as it doens't. It's absolutely perfect.

Orion, I'm sure you will enjoy TOEE.

Orlon

Novice
ok break it up no arguing/flaming/pissing in my thread, got it? <glare> :D Im headed to get ToEE if it ever makes it to my island and I dont have to blow $65 to get it. Dont ask its a LONG story
/knows somebody will ask

Volourn

Pretty Princess
We'll try; but it's too fun to stop completely. :D

Psilon

Erudite
Orlon, you have to realize that Bio-/Interplay-bashing or ToEE flamewars will eventually make it into every thread Volourn touches, with the notable exception of this one.

Psilon

Erudite
What can I say, man? Even when you're not pushing the agenda someone'll needle you, and then you reply, and then we get debates not usually permitted on other boards.

Psilon

Erudite
Watch it, you two. If it weren't for the quoting we could be sent into Interplay-board flashbacks. Still, at least you said HA rather than LOL.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player started it, and I think that lol is better then HA which is very non-committal. :lol:

mmm...interplay-board flashbacks, threads made almost entirely of syllables :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Ok... this thread has gone bananas.And, I hate bananas so I'm now out..

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Ok... this thread has gone bananas.And, I hate bananas so I'm now out..
courtesy of Volourn's timely (post #2) intervention :)

John Syron

Novice
I'm currently playing "Planescape:Torment" and haven't bought (but will this year) the games "Arcanum", "BG2", "IWD", and others. Judging from these forums, you folks didn't like the Baldur's Gate series.

My question is, did the games industry learn from games such as Arcanum, PS:T and others, or have CRPG games stagnated? If Lionheart, for example, failed, what comes next? (Myself, I like the concept of alternative history such as Iron Storm or Lionheart, though the games are said to be disappointments.)

John

Orlon

Novice
well lets see I own and have played BG1, TOSC, IWD, BG2 SoA & ToB, PS:T, Arcanum, FO1&2, Wiz8, NWN etc etc. I would pretty mcuh say that games have stagnated. Nothing fro Bio will evern begin to compare to arcanum so give it up. As far as BG2 goes i got very bored with it when i had SOOOOOOOOO much, how do the kids say it these days, "phat lewt". I was either able to slaughter whatever is met or it beat the shit out of me no middle ground boring story smae old drab IE looks etc. I actually liked wiz8 cause of the clases/race. I think my WORST moment in BG2 was when i leveld up my dual fighter mage and the results were "You recived 3 HP" and THATS IT for something like 18 bazillion xp i got 3hp? WTF is that

So i would advice avoiding BG and other Bio stuff but thats just me.

Stay away from IWD too

good luck

Lannister

Novice
Well IMHO i loved the BG Series, but if you`re into roleplaying i`d really recommend the Planescape Torment game. It really has a deep immersive storyline, a lot of different dialogue choices and concerning roleplaying i`d really put it on the same level as FO 1 and 2.

Another Game that maybe is sort of more actionlike but really has a lot of atmosphere and immersion is the Gothic series, Gothic 1 and 2. I`m a real Action-game hater, but these games were so lovingly crafted they really softened me up on that bit.

just my two cents anyway.

L.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
John Syron said:
My question is, did the games industry learn from games such as Arcanum, PS:T and others, or have CRPG games stagnated?
I don't think they learned anything. Probably just the opposite - they learned to make games NOT similar to Arcanum or PS:T, because both of those titles did not sell well.

If Lionheart, for example, failed, what comes next?
Next comes that everyone is afraid of using SPECIAL, because the majority of gamers will say "SPECIAL? This crap from Lionheart?"

JanC

Liturgist
John Syron said:
My question is, did the games industry learn from games such as Arcanum, PS:T and others, or have CRPG games stagnated? If Lionheart, for example, failed, what comes next?
I think the industry learned that that kind of game doesn't sell very well. "Simpler is better" is the general mantra of the games industry, because the easier a game is to get into, the better it sells. Complex, deep games have a limited but fanatical audience. The problem is that even the biggest fanatic is unlikely to buy more than one copy, maybe another as a gift for a friend. It is better to have shallow and broad appeal.
Lionheart's failure could have one of a number of effects. Most likely, it will be completely ignored. It slipped under the radar of regular folks I think. I haven't heard much about it except in fanatical RPG groups (like this one).
There is a possibility that it could put publishers off 'old skool' RPGs, especially combined with TOEEs apparent commercial failure.
There is a possibility that it will teach developers that if you are going to make a deep, cult RPG you can't compromise it for the Diablo crowd. (But isn't that what the BG games are?) You end up failing to satisfy either group of fans.
I think RPGs are fairly stagnated at the moment, like they were a few years ago before BG/Fallout came out and revitalised the genre.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Lionheart failed because it was a simply crappy game. I was really interested in; and in the end; I didn't even bother to buy it due to the horrible demo, and everything that most everyone has said about the actual game hasn't made me believe that the demo was a delusion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom