Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

kaizoku

Arcane
The question is, how much effort will be put into each "game".

From a business POV, this does look like it has a lot of potential.
He baits the non-online crowd with a WC game.
People like the game... and wait to play more.
"hey, what if I give the online a try... maybe blow up some rpgwatch or somethingawful goons"
"heheh... I owned those losers... now, to upgrade my ship"
:takemyjewgold:
w9sNB.jpg

Not going with KS may not have been as bad as it seems.
He's keeping +5% on the pre-orders through his site.
And he still benefits from the KS hardcore crowd.

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/
$1,083,572

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen?ref=users
$163,855

Runciter

Augur
He should stop taking pledges on his main site now. It will be hilarious if they lose all the Kickstarter money because people pledge on the RSI website and it doesn't reach 500,000 on Kickstarter.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
http://themittani.com/features/exclusive-interview-star-citizens-chris-roberts

We stated it isn’t an MMO because when people hear ‘MMO’ they think of subscriptions and World of Warcraft. We wanted to reassure old Wing Commander and Privateer fans that this they wouldn’t have to pay a subscription to play a game they love. Obviously at no point does this mean you won’t be able to play with your friends - who doesn’t want to do that? It is an MMO in the aspect of having a big, massive galaxy, a persistent universe, that sort of thing. But it will also have a full single player game, so it isn’t always an MMO.

NOT AN MMO GUYS

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
http://themittani.com/features/exclusive-interview-star-citizens-chris-roberts

We stated it isn’t an MMO because when people hear ‘MMO’ they think of subscriptions and World of Warcraft. We wanted to reassure old Wing Commander and Privateer fans that this they wouldn’t have to pay a subscription to play a game they love. Obviously at no point does this mean you won’t be able to play with your friends - who doesn’t want to do that? It is an MMO in the aspect of having a big, massive galaxy, a persistent universe, that sort of thing. But it will also have a full single player game, so it isn’t always an MMO.

NOT AN MMO GUYS

That's better at least

made

Arcane
I still heard nobody bitching around here yet about Chris using a Gamepad Gamepad gamepad while demonstrating the prototype.
At least that means it will be tailored for a analog sticks instead of the popamole mouse shootan in Freelancer or X3.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Have you ever had a job?

Getting a working demo is maybe 1/3 of the work. Most of the projects don't reach the beach.
Also, this wasn't just doing a demo. It was coming under a rock and get a whole business rolling.

So PE will make a game out of nowhere in 18 months, and he, with a working engine, isn't able to do it in 18 months?
You dumbfuck much?

Obviously you have no idea of software engineering. Obviously you have no idea of game development. And absolutely no idea of MMO development. Otherwise you'll realize that Roberts' claims are made of thin air, almost a joke. Also you are wrong that PE starts from nothing. PE uses Unity Engine as a base which has a superior toolset than Cryengine. But you can't know that if you never worked with game engines or game projects. Obviously you feel good to dwell in ignorance and call names. Congratulations that you proved yourself to be the utmost dumbfuck.
You are edgy as fuck.

I still heard nobody bitching around here yet about Chris using a Gamepad Gamepad gamepad while demonstrating the prototype.
Well all I had seen is Chris holding a gamepad in his hand. Didn't seem him actually playing it. :) Besides, it really doesn't matter. A joystick feels better, but they are similar in functionality (as far as analog control goes). And you need a keyboard for both of them to use that million key commands (and I expect this game to have a lot of keycommands).

He should stop taking pledges on his main site now. It will be hilarious if they lose all the Kickstarter money because people pledge on the RSI website and it doesn't reach 500,000 on Kickstarter.
Not gonna happen. The hardcore will probably pledge on RSI, but the mainstream crowd finds KS easier.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heh, I remember reading an announcement of Freelancer in a gaming magazine sometime around 1999. I was so excited, you can imagine my dissapointment when it was released some years later and was basicly nothing like the original vision. Watching that Star Citizen video takes me back to 1999, sure I'm a bit older, more jaded and cynical than I was back then, but fuck, this looks exciting.

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
10 days and already main site + ks is nearly at 1.5 million. At this pace he might beat 4 million of PE

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
Chris posted his pc specs that he develops on.

Asus x79 Pro motherboard, a overclocked Intel 3960x, 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance memory, 256GB SSD system drive and a 2TB data drive with two GTX680 SC+ in SLI.

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
chris any chance of mark Hamil doing some voice work?
CR: I very much would like this to happen. If we hit our stretch goals we will have enough money to afford to do this - bring some other high end voice talent and more specific mo-cap
:bounce:

Chris Roberts Presents:
Star Citizen

Starring : Mark Hamill, Tom Wilson, Malcom Mcdowell.

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
Holy Hell, legendary musician Martin Galway from C64 is the sound engineer on Chris game :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf29ShkoAiA

While George Oldziey is doing the music :eek:.

Chris probably got the best audio team EVER.

In other news,

1.9 million reached in just over a week. At this pace 3 million is a breeze.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Holy Hell, legendary musician Martin Galway from C64 is the sound engineer on Chris game :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf29ShkoAiA

While George Oldziey is doing the music :eek:.

Chris probably got the best audio team EVER.

In other news,

1.9 million reached in just over a week. At this pace 3 million is a breeze.

Unfortunately Galway probably doesn't compose the music, and haven't he been working in EA for past 15 or so years without doing anything noticeable since those couple glory years in C64 days?

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Make Mine A Double. Also, the kickstarter is currently at $514,551. The main site is $1,346,240.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This shit seems to be getting funding in a strange way. It's funny because researching Chris Roberts turns up more about how good he is at making money rather than games. I'm pretty excited for this project, though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kickstarter is growing faster than that shitty RSI hackjob. Though I don't think they're gonna get much higher than 2 million combined, given that space sims just don't have as many fans as RPG fags.
Big projects always see a boost towards the end of the fund raising. I think 3 million is very likely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom