Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with actual Choices and Consequences

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Baldurs gate - in beregost theres a guy in the inn who will either attack you, leave you alone or befriend you and give significant xp depending on whether you pick the right dialogue choices. You can choose to kill drizzt and get the best weapons and armour in the game if youre able to. If you dont take that minsc dickhead to his girlfriend he'll leave your party, etc.
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha... oh my god, he's serious too, hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Well.. the Minsc thing is actual C&C - espicially if you throw in Edwin's role in that scenario. That's atcual C&C. The others are very limited C&C where the consequences are rather miniscue or non existent. Afterall, what's the cosnsequence if you don't attack Drizzt - you get no loot. If you attack drizzt you get loot but the game world don't need. But, having to choose between Minsc and Edwin 9though there are workarounds or 'cheats') is actual C&C. Better examples out there for sure though... NWN has more atcual C&C in its pinky finger than BG does. R00fles! It also has more genuine role-playing as well.

Project: Eternity
jRPG on the DS called 'Radiant Historia' is built upon C&C.

But the jRPG catch is that you can always rewind the story back and unlock/do the other paths.

Still a good game for what it is.
It's a good jRPG but that's certainly not C&C.
Radiant Historia has a linear plot that does not diverge except by technicality of how the plot itself revolves around diverging reality. There is ALWAYS a set path to go on and a series of MacGuffins to chase, and the story does not change at all by offering you any degree of choice in the matter. It's just that you can go back in time to change circumstances in ~another~ reality as part of the storyline, but that's scripted.
It looks like C&C but it's not.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
About MotB...

I recently replayed it for the third time and then read nice LP of it, to tie some loose ends and learn of all possible outcomes. You can find it here, well don't read it if you plan to play the game for the first, or even second time, because it will be complete clusterfuck for you in the 4th chapter and spoil the best story since Torment. So, back to my wanking.
In the prologue you CAN find Imaskari Rod and then you CAN use it open certain doors. I'm highlighting can, because it's not so obvious and not everyone will use it. Let's say 8 out of 10 players will find it and take it, because not everyone will find it useful (dispel magic 3 times a day at epic D&D levels?, nigga please), gained after moderately hard fight in side dungeon, which is completely optional. Then out of this 8 players 3 probably use it to open the doors (you can bash it, or put quest item to open it, or use the said rod). After using it, the lich will appear, you can talk a bit with him and leave him alone or kill him. Let's say that out of 3 players 1 will kill him. So what will happen if you leave the lich alone? You will meet him on the beach of Coveya Kurg'annis and if you allow him, he will join your party for a moment and definitely alter the road to witches. C&C at it finest, only that minority of players will experience it.

empi

Augur
C&C is such a stupid buzzword that has no clear/tangible meaning and some people arbitrarily decide is what makes an awsum rpg

oscar

Arcane
Sengoku Rance

alcg1203.jpg

Captain Shrek

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

It's still rather weak. There are much more brutal scenes like: when two pedophiles and Rance were having talk... And there is an possibility to continue the discussion, or not. Or, look I addopted this cute girl, if you will go with me you'd be also close to that girl, and when you'd marry me, you'd get your own cute children. Wow that would be nice. Woman: "YES, that plan worked."

Or when Rance slaughtered these 12-14 year old boys.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Yes, what everyone wants to read is A VERY VERY LONG post is a completely different thread by a guy who's amassed 6.2k posts in a year and a half. Thanks.
As opposed to your excellent contribution, right?

By the way, at your rate of posting, if you stay as long as Captain Shrek you will have ~4,900 posts. So, yeah, I wouldn't call you laconic either.

Aurelius

Educated
In Might & Magic 7, there's a guy in the beginning area who offers you a fireball wand (which is quite powerful and valuable) in exchange for a future favor. If you accept, he'll contact you about 20 hours later into the game and force you to steal something heavily guarded within a set time limit. If you fail to do so, he'll send out a small force to attack your castle, and if you do steal the item, everyone in that (quite important) area will turn hostile.

There's also your typical choice between good and evil about halfway into the game, but implemented quite well, since it affects which areas are friendly or hostile as well as limiting light/dark magic to the good/evil path. Most of the main quests are different and the ending also changes.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
I wish that you C&C retards would just fuck off.
There has NEVER been a game that conforms to your ideals, and hopefully there never will be, because it would be unplayable.

Murk

Arcane
Donno 'bout that bro, table-top RPGs are pretty fun and have ass-tons of C&C.

So did Arcanum ;D

In Might & Magic 7, there's a guy in the beginning area who offers you a fireball wand (which is quite powerful and valuable) in exchange for a future favor. If you accept, he'll contact you about 20 hours later into the game and force you to steal something heavily guarded within a set time limit. If you fail to do so, he'll send out a small force to attack your castle, and if you do steal the item, everyone in that (quite important) area will turn hostile.

Is that force a significant threat, though? 20 hours in a rpg is usually more than enough time to achieve godhood.

Aurelius

Educated
Is that force a significant threat, though? 20 hours in a rpg is usually more than enough time to achieve godhood.
Well no, it isn't, but as far as I can remember it had some quite unpleasant effects, such as shops closing or the like. I can't remember the exact details, though (a walkthrough I've read says the buildings stay closed until you dispatch the raiders). I can remember that any adverse effects were reset after a year of ingame time.
20 hrs on in-game clock, I think.
No, it's triggered by an event in the main questline, the 20 hours are an estimation of how long it would take the player to get there (while doing side quests, of course).

Rpgsaurus Rex

Oh. I didn't even remember that fire wand quest in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom