Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 5 RPG list

roguefrog

Liturgist
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate (Das right bitch, you can't step to this! Best back down now! :D )
Fallout
Morrowind
Arcanum

wizard

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
wizard said:
-Fallout
-Geneforge
-Avernum-serie
-Baldur's Gate-serie
-Exile-serie

Quite Spiderweb based list :D

Isn't the Avernum series roughly a remake of the Exile series? Or are tehre enough differences to make them distinct games?

Yep, Avernum is remake of Exile but the games differ so much (at least I think so) that it makes them distinct games

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
The only RPG's I've played through multiple times:

Fallout (duh)
DarkLands (still play it)
Ancient Domains Of Mystery ('bout the hardest game ever, and I hate roguelikes normally)
Magic Candle 1 (too bad the sequels fell off, but I still replay it occassionally)
Wizardry 6-7 (best together 8 would have been best, but slooooow combat)
Ultima 4-7.5 (still can't decide on a favorite)

Maelstrom

Novice
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Arcanum
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Chrono Trigger

But in my opinion, Planescape: Torment sits head and shoulders above the pack. It is art.

Seven

Erudite
Fallout; the best RPG of all time without a doubt
Torment
System Shock (loved it, but most probably wouldn't call it an RPG)
Baldur's Gate 2 (give the devil his dues)
Arcanum (it could have been second on my list if it was more balanced)

ecliptic

Liturgist
in no order

pc games:

fallout
ultima 6
ultima underworld
torment
wiz 7

console:

chronotrigger
star ocean 2

Wow. Gamer's block.

Tris McCall

Novice
I've finally played enough games to make a list. I just started Fallout last night, though, so I can't weigh in on that one yet.

1. Planescape:Torment -- The tops by far; the most engrossing, and the only game I've played that I found genuinely moving. Also the only game I think about when I'm not thinking about games. But then I love the Planescape setting, so I was probably the bull's-eye-on-the-target audience for this.

2. Arcanum -- once I got used to the combat system and fell into the rhythm of the game, I loved everything about it. Very intelligent, actually profound in places.

3. Icewind Dale II -- My favorite dungeon-crawler. I admit I followed the online walkthrough to circumvent the horrendous puzzles whenever I could.

4. Daggerfall -- Less dreamy than Morrowind, but a superior scenario. It's actually been a long time since I've played this one. It was my all-time favorite when I was in school; I wonder how it would stand up to another play.

5. Ultima 6 -- They're all pretty enjoyable, but 6 was the most memorable.

Honorable mentions: Bard's Tale III, the original Icewind Dale, Shadows of Amn.

This board has gotten me interested in the Jeff Vogel Spiderweb games. I'll get to those once I'm done with Fallout 1 and 2.

Tris McCall
www.trismccall.net

Shevek

Arcane
In no particular order...

PC:
FO, ToEE, BG1, Daggerfall and RoA:Star Trail

Console:
FF3(6), Shining Force 2, Phantasy Star 4, Shadowrun (Genesis) and Faery Tale Adventure (one of the first rpgs I ever played; cant hold a candle to many games but will always be dear to me)

I like the PC ones more than the Console ones obviously

bossjimbob

Liturgist
Hey Tris. Glad to see a little Jersey style on the game forums. I had no idea you were into this sort of thing. I thought I was the only closet game geek from Brumfuss...

Love from the left coast,

bossjimbob

Tris McCall

Novice
<<<Hey Tris. Glad to see a little Jersey style on the game forums. I had no idea you were into this sort of thing. I thought I was the only closet game geek from Brumfuss...>>>

Nothing closet about me; I've always been a big game-player, although until recently, I played board games much more than video games. Planescape:Torment got me hooked -- the idea of a video game in the Planescape setting was impossible for me to resist -- and since then, I've been searching madly for something that can approximate the Torment experience. Sounds like Temple of Elemental Evil is not it, but I enjoyed Arcanum (the Troika side) and the Icewind Dales (the dungeon-crawl side) enough to pick it up when the price comes down a little.

Yours in rock,
Tris McCall

www.trismccall.net

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
  • Fallout - Simply the best.
  • Geneforge - Interesting setting, good combat, excellent story. This baby (almost) has it all.
  • Arcanum - Despite it's flaws, this is still one of the best CRPGS ever.
  • Planescape: Torment - Combat wasn't exactly what you'd call interesting, and the game was very linear towards the end, but the writing in this game is in a league of its own.

Honorable mentions:
Prelude to Darkness,
Avernum series, Jagged Alliance 2 (not really a CRPG, but an excellent game still)

Ibbz

Augur
About Baldur's Gate... it's hardly an 'original' engine, the Dark Sun games were very similar. [they were tile-based instead of having prerendered backgrounds and had turn-based combat, but that's it... in a sense, the IE was a step backwards. ]
Eh? Your saying that the Dark Sun games were similar yet they were using a tile based engine with turn based combat? The original POR and its sequels must also be "similar" to BG.

As for favourite RPG's
POR, Curse of Azure bonds, Secret of the Silver blades and Pool of darkness.
BG series.
Exile 3
NWN {Multi & Mods}
Geneforge
Fallout

Orlon

Novice
hmmm lets see

PC

Fallout 1 - Loved this game absolutly the best
Fallout 2 - Loved it almost as much as fallout
Arcanum - Im going to hell for liking this one the tiniest little bit more than Fallout
PS:T - Talking smart-ass skull 'nuff said
Betrayal at Krondor - Ive read everything Fiest has written so this game strikes home with me

Console

Cronotrigger - excelent concept and execution for a 16bit game
Secret of Mana - Just loads of fun
FF 5? - the one with the bazillion different classes (monk, samurai, 5 diff mages, knight etc) and the shattered stones its been a while, maybe somebody could help with this one
Zelda - Classic
FF 7 - I liked the materia system and the story line

urgrue

Novice
not in order:
-wasteland (i cant believe im the first to mention it)
-fallout 1 and 2 (cant decide which is better)
-ultima 5 (close call with u4 tho)
-omega (the severely underrated and neglected roguelike)
-phantasie series

-king of dragon pass is maybe a bit hard to pass off as an rpg, but its pretty hard to pass off as any genre really, so im mentioning it anyway. incredible game.

Shevek

Arcane
Sabotai said:
In chronological order:
-The Faery Tale Adventure (very first RPG-ish type of game I played)
-Dungeon Master (I'm still a bit jealous of Secion8's avatar)
-All Magnetic Scrolls games (even though they were text adventures)
-Wizardry 7
-Ultima VII (is it coincidence or are most games with a 7 in the name pretty darn good?)

Haha, Faery Tale Adventure was my first rpg too! Though it cant hold a candle to alot of other games, it will forever be in my top ten for that reason alone. I spent many a rainy afternoon playing (and jotting down ridiculously long passwords for!) that game (played it on my genesis, I cant believe I forgot to put it on my list! *slaps forhead*).

JanC

Liturgist
Seven9 said:
BTW, who else is not looking forward to FO3?
I'm not either. It has been so long that the original team will have dispersed, and the magic will have gone.

Pseudospawn

Novice
for pc
fallout
wasteland
Baldurs gate 1/2
diablo 1/2
Arcanum
Planescape: Torment

& for the G/B
Zelda
(tragically) legacy of goku 1/2

Griffo

Novice
Only 5? thats hard, here goes:

1.Arcanum
2. Greyhawk
3. Neverwinter Nights
4. Morrowind
5. Fallout series

Whipporowill

Erudite
In no order whatsoever:

Ultima VI and the VII´s - a world I will always long for
the Fallouts - story, setting, gameplay, grit
PS:Torment - story and setting
Arcanum - story, setting
Nethack (and Rogue) - hack n slash extraordinaire

Runners up:

Interplay´s Lord of The Rings. Semi-linear and all, but more in spirit with the books than the movies. Lots of spins on the material in the book

the Ultima Underworlds Immersion, to an extent that neither Daggerfall nor Morrowind made happen for me.

Dungeon Master - never played it on my own, just as a backseat driver.

Geneforge and Avernum - although great games, I´ve never managed until the end.

Betrayal at Krondor - the game the worst char portraits in history also had some of the coolest chest mechanisms EVAR[/b]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom