Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is this supposed to be like Freelancer?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
You cunts, we're gonna get a new chris roberts game.

ibgxCHTqFMcw2t.gif

Unwanted

HardDeck

Dumbfuck!!
10k to 2 million, Star Citizen is officialy a go now.

It's funny how Chris wanted to 'unite the community' by pledging only on his site, but he actualy split the community by opening the kickstarter later on :D. Without the kickstarter he would have it very hard to reach the 2 million.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Like Freelancer, but better!

What packages did you guys go with? I've a hard time justifying going higher than my original first responder pledge; if I understood it correctly, all those ships in the higher pledges can be acquired by anyone in-game as well.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
RSI ‏@RobertsSpaceInd
We just crossed the $2 million level! Star Citizen is "go"! Thank you for helping us reach this point... now let's hit the stretch goals.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Like Freelancer, but better!

What packages did you guys go with? I've a hard time justifying going higher than my original first responder pledge; if I understood it correctly, all those ships in the higher pledges can be acquired by anyone in-game as well.
I went with the 30 dollar package. I'd have given more, but I've been loosing money in a fast rate in the last month thanks to this damned kickstarter rage. Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Legends of Eisenwald, Project Eternity, Star Citizen, Strike Suit Zero.....God make it stop, Iwill go bankrupt.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love the thought of a new Privateer/ Wing Commander but... Dang man, all these Kickstarters are really starting to drain me. I'll probably only go with the $30 or $35 tier as the only cool physical thing I'd want is the map but $125 is too high for me right after putting in $330 for Project Eternity. I know they've said it's not a MMO but I want to know as much as possible about the single player aspect as that's the part of the game I want to play.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
You guys know that the final Freelancer was not exactly what Roberts had envisioned initially? The game was supposed to be a lot more ambitious, but Microcock got impatient, there was a dispute, and Roberts left Digital Anvil. Some other dude (Jörg Neumann, forgot his exact name) took over, simplified the design and the game was finally released. Then Microcock shut down DA.

Conclusions:

1) Chris likes to make things big and ambitious.
2) Microsoft sucks.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Even if I had spare change after the Project Eternity Kickstarter I probably would not donate to this. Too multiplayer oriented and I have shitty satellite internet.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wing Commander was one of the first "real" PC games I ever played. My parents gave it to me for Christmas in 1990, and I played the shit out of that game. I read and re-read Claw Marks and pored over the blueprint foldouts until they were worn and dingy. I was careful with them, too, especially for an eight-year-old. I'd wear a plastic toy police helmet, a child's faux bomber jacket, and leather gloves at the computer desk while playing, and arrange a chair behind mine for my little sister to sit in as the "copilot." I went on to play every Wing Commander game and expansion.

Needless to say, I have truckloads of nostalgia for this series and I'm pleased to see Chris' crowdfunding goal will likely be met or exceeded... which is impressive, since he's asking for $2m and using his own website rather than Kickstarter.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Am I the only one who don't get why some people compare EVE Online and Star Citizen? They say that Star Citizen will have a hard time competing with EVE. I get that both are space games and MMOs, but they offer a totally different experience, different mechanics etc.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Am I the only one who don't get why some people compare EVE Online and Star Citizen? They say that Star Citizen will have a hard time competing with EVE. I get that both are space games and MMOs, but they offer a totally different experience, different mechanics etc.

I played EVE from 2005-2011, interspersed with several lengthy hiatuses, participating in much of what the game had to offer: Everything from mining and running missions, which are considered chump-tier casual gameplay by savvy veterans, all the way up to being a member of Agony Unleashed (a selective small-gang PvP corporation), infiltrating and spying on influential alliances, and earning vast quantities of spacebux through playing the market and exploiting wormhole space. I permanently retired in early 2011 because I simply grew tired of the game... also, even 8-10 hours a week spent on EVE was time I could instead use to develop a real-life skill or read educational literature.

There is room in the market for Star Citizen, I think. EVE has a huge learning curve and a very high skill ceiling (which is a barrier to entry for many), but even so, its combat is ultimately mouse clicks. This is far more difficult to do masterfully than I can possibly explain in a reasonable time frame, requiring several months of study and practice by new players to gain basic competence, and yet it's completely different from flying a star fighter in real-time from the perspective of the cockpit.

EVE is a very particular breed of game, and the reason it's the only game in town isn't that there's no more room left in the market, but that no competent developers have been able to compete with EVE (even indirectly) in a meaningful way. Few are willing to try. Apparently, just being set in space and featuring space ships is enough for people to presume a game will compete with EVE, yet space and space ships are really just a theme for EVE. You could re-skin it, change its textures, meshes, backgrounds and flavor text to reflect a series of deep-sea colonies and submersibles, and the mechanics would work exactly the same way.

You could do the same to Wing Commander (or Star Citizen), of course, but the point is that stripped of space and space ships the games at their core will be completely different.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

I played EVE from 2005-2011, interspersed with several lengthy hiatuses, participating in much of what the game had to offer: Everything from mining and running missions, which are considered chump-tier casual gameplay by savvy veterans, all the way up to being a member of Agony Unleashed (a selective small-gang PvP corporation), infiltrating and spying on influential alliances, and earning vast quantities of spacebux through playing the market and exploiting wormhole space. I permanently retired in early 2011 because I simply grew tired of the game... also, even 8-10 hours a week spent on EVE was time I could instead use to develop a real-life skill or read educational literature.

There is room in the market for Star Citizen, I think. EVE has a huge learning curve and a very high skill ceiling (which is a barrier to entry for many), but even so, its combat is ultimately mouse clicks. This is far more difficult to do masterfully than I can possibly explain in a reasonable time frame, requiring several months of study and practice by new players to gain basic competence, and yet it's completely different from flying a star fighter in real-time from the perspective of the cockpit.

EVE is a very particular breed of game, and the reason it's the only game in town isn't that there's no more room left in the market, but that no competent developers have been able to compete with EVE (even indirectly) in a meaningful way. Few are willing to try. Apparently, just being set in space and featuring space ships is enough for people to presume a game will compete with EVE, yet space and space ships are really just a theme for EVE. You could re-skin it, change its textures, meshes, backgrounds and flavor text to reflect a series of deep-sea colonies and submersibles, and the mechanics would work exactly the same way.

You could do the same to Wing Commander (or Star Citizen), of course, but the point is that stripped of space and space ships the games at their core will be completely different.
Yes, I totally agree with that. I think the people who compare EVE and Star Citizen are the ones who never played EVE.

"hey, EVE has spaceships and pirates and mining, and Star Citizen has spaceships and pirates and mining, duh, they must be the totally similar" :retarded:

Rane

Novice
There's a running thread on their forums where the community manager is answering almost any question. It's a bloody mess to read through but fortunately there is a tl;dr version here.

Destroid

Arcane
It sounded like Eve with the main difference being action combat instead of Eve's uh... tactical? It's really not clear if it's actually going to be an MMO or more like Freelancer's style of game, which played a lot like an MMO would but with no centralised servers. Like Minecraft I guess, for those who haven't played it. Of course, this game couldn't possibly hope to compete with Eve's scope initially, but that's what happens when games are actively developed after release for 10 years or however long its been now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom