Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG got inventory completely right?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All the debates about what should have weight, how much encumbrance should matter, how much "phat loot" should be in an RPG, alchemy ingredients, weapon-swaps, how many armor pieces, etc...

Which classic (or modern I guess) RPG did inventory fucking perfect? Was there one?

Gregz

Arcane
Which classic (or modern I guess) RPG did inventory fucking perfect? Was there one?

Bag of Holding

A bag of holding appears to be a common cloth sack of about 2 by 4 feet (0.61 by 1.2 m) in size. It opens into a nondimensional space (similar to a magic satchel) or a pocket dimension, making the space larger inside than it is outside. Each bag always weighs the same amount, between 15 and 60 pounds (6.8 and 27 kg), regardless of what is put into it. It can store a combined weight of up to forty times its own weight, and a combined volume of 30 to 250 cubic feet (0.85 to 7.1 m3).

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
I dunno if it was perfect, but I liked Arcanum's. You were limited both by weight and size, and encumberance wasn't a threshold - you'd lose speed (I think it was speed) the more you were encumbered, which meant you could waltz around carrying 4 plasma rifles and a truckload of MFCs.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Wizardry 8 had a pretty good grid-based picture inventory system. Encumbrance was spread out over the entire party. Each character also had their own mini-inventory that would not affect party encumbrance. Also it was a simple task to organize the inventory by item type to find what you needed. Transferring items between characters was easy too. Weapon swapping was done well and it didn't limit you to one long range and one short range weapon, you could put any type of weapon in each slot.

I can't really think of any negatives.

Morkar Left

M&M 7
Jagged Alliance 1.13
Frayed Knights

My favorite would be JA 1.13 inventory system combined with a party pool inventory. Party pool inventory only accessible outside of fighting.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ultima VII

:troll:

but seriously, it was a good dumbfuck indicator if you realized in your first play-through that you needed bags-for-categories.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I rest my case...

dj_4c6e704bb2c37.png

made

Arcane
I can't really think of any negatives.
Endlessly scrolling through the party inventory until you find what you need was a major disadvantage.

A good inventory limits or, ideally, eliminates that.

knightley

Educated
I miss wizardry 7, it has done lots of things right on many of levels.
Not sure about Ultima 7, iirc, it rearrange all items. But I did enjoying
carrying a lot of bags. :takemymoney:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Jagged Alliance 2.

I liked the inventory management in the Icewind Dales too.

7hm

Scholar
In recent games I like Grimrock. Not perfect, but it uses a carry weight system with encumberence and a hard limit to the number of items you can carry (but you can get around that with bags and boxes that you find).

DCSS does the same thing, but also categorizes items, which is nice.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Not that Morrowind's inv screen was perfect by any means, but the fact that you could drag the corners with your mouse and set it to exactly the size and shape you wanted was pretty damn sweet. And of course Bethesda went and fucked it up with Oblivion (and then fucked that some more with Skyrim).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Bag of Holding

A bag of holding appears to be a common cloth sack of about 2 by 4 feet (0.61 by 1.2 m) in size. It opens into a nondimensional space (similar to a magic satchel) or a pocket dimension, making the space larger inside than it is outside. Each bag always weighs the same amount, between 15 and 60 pounds (6.8 and 27 kg), regardless of what is put into it. It can store a combined weight of up to forty times its own weight, and a combined volume of 30 to 250 cubic feet (0.85 to 7.1 m3).
Bag of devouring

Essentially a bottomless pit in a bag, this bag appears to be a normal sack, like a bag of holding, and seems to be a bag of holding on closer inspection. However, the bag is a lure used by an extradimensional creature; it is one of its feeding orifices. Issue 271 of Dragon[1] featured an article titled "The Ecology of a Bag of Devouring" that discussed the nature of such a creature.
Any substance of animal or vegetable matter put into the bag has a chance of being swallowed over time. Even a person reaching in to retrieve or place an item, after the initial time, has a chance of being completely dragged into the bag and swallowed. The bag of devouring will act as a bag of holding, but every hour it has an increasing chance of swallowing the contents. Any plants or animals swallowed by the bag in this way are transported to the creature's stomach, digested, and lost forever, while inedible items are swallowed and spat into another plane.

The existence of that thing probably just makes everyone fill any bags of holding they find with shit items for an entire day, to check if it's legit. Because players really need to pick up another OCD habit.

Not that Morrowind's inv screen was perfect by any means, but the fact that you could drag the corners with your mouse and set it to exactly the size and shape you wanted was pretty damn sweet. And of course Bethesda went and fucked it up with Oblivion (and then fucked that some more with Skyrim).

I just left it at defaut size because then you can see everything at once.

bminorkey

Ultima VII when it doesn't go senile on item positions and you open your bag to find a condensed tower of shit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno if it was perfect, but I liked Arcanum's. You were limited both by weight and size, and encumberance wasn't a threshold - you'd lose speed (I think it was speed) the more you were encumbered, which meant you could waltz around carrying 4 plasma rifles and a truckload of MFCs.

Generally speaking this is the sort of system I prefer. Something that takes into account both the size of what you're running around with and its weight. No wondering how your party is hauling around enough arms and supplies for a small army.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom