Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

newcomer

Learned
I wonder if Mongols still get culturally subverted all the time. I saw Mongols turning into Russians TWICE before Sword of Andhaira.

Quite the contrary; the culture spread is on steroids since the conquest culture thingy. I'm a Mongol & the culture conversion event have fired 4 times in a single ruler in ~50 years (his stewardship is >13 btw)

To be precise I'm not Ilkhanate/Golden Horde, but a small mongol nestorian duke (High Chief Kitquba of Aleppo, 1 Jan 1260). I've carved Syria, Mesopotamia, and parts of BE & Rum for myself. Maybe I'll usurp BE somehow & declare a restored Roman before Khan Timur comes

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The game can't really portray the advantages the mongols had with the combat system that exists in the game so instead they give them attrition free doomstacks.

If they wanted to make the mongols more realistic they could do several things.

-Increase the bonuses horse archers have against heavy units. I don't know what the current bonus is though, so maybe they already get a big enough advantage in this way.

They kinda are better, engaging them with an army of equal size results in a horrid defeat. Especially for rulers with low tech levies from Rus/Cuman. There's a screenshot someone posted on Paradox forums where a dude sent his 96k stack of Russians against 110k stack of Mongols. He lost horribly and only managed to inflict about 6k casualties.

Phelot

Arcane
I've got a question about CK2 vanilla, no mods.

I'm playing as Norway and I can't seem to create the empire of Scandinavia. Do you have to be Sweden to do so? I would have thought it would at least show what I need to get it, but I'm not seeing it at all. I've got Kingdom of Norway and Finland right now.

Also, one more question: I have half of a duchy that the game is claiming I can usurp, but the option to do so is grayed out. It claims you need at least half which I do, so... ???

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You need to get 75% of the titles associated for it, so I think you need to become king of Sweden and Denmark as well.

Phelot

Arcane
You need to get 75% of the titles associated for it, so I think you need to become king of Sweden and Denmark as well.

Wouldn't I only need one more? Also, I could have sworn the standard was having half, no? I mean, at least for duchies it seems so, or maybe that is just with 2 piece duchies like Jamtland?

XenomorphII

Prophet

Wouldn't I only need one more? Also, I could have sworn the standard was having half, no? I mean, at least for duchies it seems so, or maybe that is just with 2 piece duchies like Jamtland?

Duchies and kingdoms require 50%. Empires require more (I think some of them require as much as 80% though 75 is the norm). Also just click on the title of Scandinavia (go to titles screen for something de jure a part of it, click the tick box for show de jure, then click it) then just put your pointer over create and see what it says. It should inform you what you are lacking.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's territory, not titles, so you only strictly need the counties.

to form a Kingdom you need 2 duke tittles as welll as 50% + 1 of countries. Those new Empires are ridiculous BTW as in medieval times there could be only one Empire (in two parts conflicted parts :roll: ) for Christians and same for Muslims and Mongols, uniting two or even more kingdoms never made you an Emperor as Spain and UK examples show. All those Lulzy empires and Aztecs, what next Elves?

newcomer

Learned
To create an empire you need:
- ANY 2 Kingdom title
- 80% of the LAND
- Special creation condition (most likely culture / religion)

To usurp an empire from outside you need:
- 80% of the LAND
- Special creation condition, although apparently the HRE and BE are exempted from this

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, I see it now. Thanks for the info, guys. I have about 67%.

So, as far as the special condition is concerned, it says I need to be of Northern Germanic culture so I assume if somehow Russians took over Scandinavia, they wouldn't be allowed to create the Scandinavian Empire.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yeah, I see it now. Thanks for the info, guys. I have about 67%.

So, as far as the special condition is concerned, it says I need to be of Northern Germanic culture so I assume if somehow Russians took over Scandinavia, they wouldn't be allowed to create the Scandinavian Empire.
Neither could Finnish pagans (actually I'm considering removing Finland from the requirement for Scandinavian Empire, I mean it wasn't exactly integral to the Swedes either beyond being a backyard you could exploit and extort).

XenomorphII

Prophet
Neither could Finnish pagans (actually I'm considering removing Finland from the requirement for Scandinavian Empire, I mean it wasn't exactly integral to the Swedes either beyond being a backyard you could exploit and extort).

But no empire is complete without one of those!

Vaarna_Aarne

But no empire is complete without one of those!
Well then it'll be that empire's backyard either before or after forming it. Point is, I don't think conquest of Finland would be integral to forming a Scandinavian Empire in that time.

I'd say a bigger problem might be that Denmark is probably still extremely overpowered (don't they have THE largest number of +5 slot provinces in any kingdom?), so Scandinavian Empire is a tad too easy to form.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Yeah. Denmark is crazy powerful. It is very easy to play as them and dominate the Baltic coast, then drop Norway and Sweden, and you will be rolling in money the whole time. Especially if you focus on Stewardship strong kings, as you will be able to have all the extremely rich parts of Denmark under your direct control.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yep. I've been thinking about dropping them in line while I'm at it, it's ridiculous how they're in the game.

XenomorphII

Prophet
I'm not sure that is a wise idea. If you aren't careful you will make it easy for vassals of the HRE to take Denmark over (and make it easier for the HRE, which can stumble on Denmark if it is distracted enough).

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm not sure that is a wise idea. If you aren't careful you will make it easy for vassals of the HRE to take Denmark over (and make it easier for the HRE, which can stumble on Denmark if it is distracted enough).
Generally my idea with HRE is that it needs to be too distracted with internal bullshit to ever wage a single succesful offensive war except to reclaim lost territory.

mondblut

Arcane

You can always give your heir to the last surviving norwegian to tutor.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Is there any good mod which lets me play as pagans? Vaarna_Aarne, didn't you make one?

Vaarna_Aarne

I did for vanilla, but it didn't involve much beyond improved name files, a few CBs to make conquering pagans something that their neighbours would do in the long run (early game this is prevented by the Warrior Cult auto-building being at original strength), and geographical and historical territory and culture corrections. I'm in the process of slowly updating it to Legacy of Rome, while incorporating Better Looking Characters.

List of changes that I'm porting over:

- Finnish and Baltic Ugric culture fused together into Baltic Finnish culture, with historical areas represented. Swedish names and other later additions removed from namefiles, with more authentic names, surnames and patrilineal names presented (though this obviously does cause problems due to -npoika suffix's limitations with said names)

- Lappish cultural and tribal borders fixed, no more Swedes and Norwegians several hundred miles North of the area they actually inhabitated at the time. Ducal titles in Finland also split better, with the Northern regions forming the new Duchy of Lappland. Thinking about making the Lapps in Sweden, Kola peninsula and Norway Tengriists.

- A new culture added to split the previous Komi culture to more accurately represent the Finno-Ugric tribal groups on the Eastern end of the map, with Mordvins added as a new culture, Komi limited to the North (new previously missing tribal nations added, such as Komi-Permyaks), with Ob-Ugric in the East as a vassal of the Cumans. These groups follow Tengriist faith, Suomenusko has been limited to the Baltic region and ends in Bjarmia.

- In general, the borders in the East are more close to reality now. There were many areas that were presented as part of Russian principalities in the game but weren't conquered by Russians until more than two hundred years after game start.

- I made a special Tribal Unification CB for pagan lieges who possess either insanely high stats, or Ambitious and just high stats. Content blocks the CB from being available. CB allows conquest of provinces that share the specific Culture AND Religion of the attacker.

- Lithuanians got a better version of this, which has notably lower requirements to make the formation of Kingdom of Lithuania easier and more likely to happen.

- Raid CB lifted from Pagans! mod that's now defunct, allows Pagans to attack neighbours for cash demands.

- Pagan kingly titles can only be formed by either pagans or by their culture group. Titles have also been revised, with Kingdom of Finland replaced by Kingdom of Tshudes. Ducal borders have been adjusted in Estonia and Livland.

New things that I'll make after this:

- Events for Suomenusko pagans presenting various customs and laws. Now you'll get to throw bastards into the swamp!

- Decisions and Festivals specific for Suomenusko, such as Karhunpeijaiset.

- Generic conversion option event for Pagans in the Baltic. Karelia and Bjarmian provinces will have a variant of this to choose to convert to Orthodoxy. Only top lieges get this event.

- Trade and technology events for Pagans in Western Europe that allow slight improvement to their technological state. Requires King or higher tier title (or as top liege), and a certain amount of time to pass in the game.

JagreenLern

Erudite
Patron
MCA Project: Eternity
Can anyone explain Caliph titles to me? In my latest Volga Bulgaria LP (Playing the Volga Bulgars is pretty fun, lots of early opportunities to expand, I'd recommend them for anyone thinking of starting a new game), I was able to make my Khan into the Sunni Caliph, and I'm not sure why.

Vaarna_Aarne

I *think* the Caliph is like the Pope, in that anyone can end up in the title, and that it's more nebulous and not tied to particular lands.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
There is currently a weekend CK2 sale at Gamersgate. So I was wondering what were the essential DLCs that I should get and what were the best overhaul mods for CK2 (like DVIP for CK:DV)?

I'm tempted to buy Dynasty shields as well. :oops:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There is currently a weekend CK2 sale at Gamersgate. So I was wondering what were the essential DLCs that I should get and what were the best overhaul mods for CK2 (like DVIP for CK:DV)?

Ruler editor is pretty nice. Sword of Andhaira is ok. Rest is kinda meh.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist

Just get all of them. Most are 50 cents, and Paradox Interactive is one of the few companies I actually don't mind paying full price for. They are one of the last remaining bastions in the battle against the decline.

Except the Aztec invasion one. Even I didn't get that one because it's so far out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom