Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
Seems to me that choosing info on Ean is the best thing we can do right now.

All this other info, about origins and sources of problems we can get anywhere else (Aodh, Joan and the Madman, off the top of my head), but none of them will have a picture as complete as Fenrir on how to restore the original Ean, and if we ask for all the methods he knows, it will give us the advantage of picking the one that suits us best. We'll keep the Empire together for now: Ban went after the madman with reinforced troops and fifty new rifles and Aodh infiltrated the Francia-Brittanian rebels.

We're in a decent spot, so we can afford this question.

Remember, Ean is the one that ultimately matters, not some other character. Hence, I'm flopping back to Tell me all ways to fully return the original Ean.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Tell me all ways to fully return the original Ean.
Flopping to this. Seems everyone is too distracted with trying to make Dio "win" to remember the original Ean...

No, I do remember the original Ean, and I do want him back. It just doesn't really make sense for Dio to ask this sort of question. Once HE learns enough of Ean's involvement, we might steer his desires towards bringing the original Emperor back. But not just yet.

Baltika9

Arcane
Tell me all ways to fully return the original Ean.
Flopping to this. Seems everyone is too distracted with trying to make Dio "win" to remember the original Ean...

No, I do remember the original Ean, and I do want him back. It just doesn't really make sense for Dio to ask this sort of question. Once HE learns enough of Ean's involvement, we might steer his desires towards bringing the original Emperor back. But not just yet.
Ah, it can actually. The Empire is Dio's power base. The Empire is falling apart from false pretenders and random shit. The best way to reunite the Empire is to give it an Emperor, thus securing his power base.
Helping the First Emperor return, though, is a perfect option, because he will surely reward the one who does. In addition to solving the previous issue as well.

Edit: its basically an upgraded version of my first proposition, only instead of having Dio handle it, we call in teh EMPRAH to do it.

Esquilax

Arcane

I could see a reasoning behind this. Knowing all ways in which the First Emperor could be fully restored would allow Dio to find out how his rivals like Dagrun and Aodh plan on acquiring Ean's power, so he can anticipate what they're going to do and pre-emptively foil them before they get the chance. Who knows, maybe losing an eye and barely managing to escape being played by otherworldly cosmic forces has made Dio a bit less of a cunt and perhaps worthy of taking Ean's mantle.

The only problem with Lambchop-Baltika's question is that it isn't a question. So let's phrase it as this: In what ways can Ean be fully restored? I'll just assume that this is the same thing. Btw, we also have two extra words to work into this proposal.

Btw, I'm flopping to Baltika9-Lambchop's question. Let's just get this shit done.

Baltika9

Arcane
More justification for bringing Ean back. Think of it like this: Dio already resigned himself when he decided to become "second best" when we sided with RK
B. You will lead the two assassins to the Prince, then kill them in front of him and pretend they had forced you to do everything that he knows you have done - whatever it is that he knows.You really aren't that interested in being top dog, you just want to be second.Besides, you don't trust these people.
Now, from Dio's perspective: he's decided to work from an Emperor's shadow. Why not, then, work from behind the biggest, baddest shadow around and finally get a cosmic force to support him? And besides, anyone who helps the Emperor return to his realm will surely be rewarded, right? Besides, the stronger the Emperor on the throne, the stronger Dio's position in the Empire will be. No stronger Emperor than Ean.
Also, Dio could view Ean as a person worthy of his time and loyalty, not out of personal affection, maybe, but out of respect and power. If anything, I don't see Dio being second to RK forever.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No hurry with the discussion guys. I'm attending an international neuroscience conference this week so the earliest I can update will probably be Thursday.

Baltika9

Arcane
No hurry with the discussion guys. I'm attending an international neuroscience conference this week so the earliest I can update will probably be Thursday.

:salute:Nice.
Miscellaneous question: what does Ean look like? I always imagined him as an average fellow with a young, Arabic face, kindly look, slightly cocky grin, wearing tattered travelling robes, with Anbar'Shi by his side.
Edit: or like Saladin, only slightly more cocky.
Saladin.jpg

Edit: oh, and is foresight/meta an actual skill that we can learn?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Post-grad, no real publications of note yet. By the way, if you guys are talking about methods to bring back Ean, what isn't the same as how. :troll:

Esquilax

Arcane
After some consideration and DISCUSS!!! via PM with Baltika9, it's occurred to me that asking for a walkthrough still leaves us blind and open to getting fucked over in a lot of other ways. Knowing the overall situation and exactly what all the various players know, however, will allow Diogenes to maneuver himself far easier and steer events to a favourable outcome that way. My theory is that as individuals, none of the players here, excluding Fenrir of course, know exactly what's going on - they only know bits and pieces. However, if we were to know what each individual immortal has learned, then we'd get the full picture of events and Dio would be armed with the proper information to steer events in a way that's favourable to both himself and to Ean.

So on that note, I'm going to propose and vote for the following question:

What have Aodh, Madman* and Dagrun learned since developing powers?

This isn't a walkthrough, but I believe that it would grant us the clearest picture of events that we can while at the same time not pissing off Fenrir or being too broad. It doesn't specify what type of knowledge, but Fenrir has promised to answer our question to the best of his abilities anyways, so this should encompass roughly knowledge regarding Ean, the reasons behind the turmoil in the Empire, as well as the various abilities and skills that each of them have picked up if we need to confront them.

This also provides a decent amount of restriction as well: it limits our knowledge to an interval of time that's relevant to us by giving us the details about the players that know the most about the situation. We know that the madman of Anatolia and Aodh both had a head-start on us in terms of knowledge, and Dagrun also is privy to a lot of things thanks to his relationship with Fenrir (after all he knew about Ean's hand being severed by King Sargon so long ago), so we're kind of in the dark. However, I am positive that each one of them know certain things that the other two don't. If we were to combine all their knowledge together, we would be in a great position.

To use a metaphor, it's sort of like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. Right now, Dio has very few pieces - Aodh, Dagrun and the Madman all have way more pieces than him. However, each one of them also have pieces that the others don't. If Dio were to say, take all of their pieces, he would have the clearest picture of what that puzzle looks like out of all of them. And it's because of that that I feel that this is a good proposal.

By the way, treave, has there been anything off about Runikylos' presence in any of Diogenes' dealings with him? He's pretty much the same presence as a normal human being, correct?

* Also, what is the Madman's name, btw? I ask because referring to him by name instead of as "the Madman" will allow us to jew our way into using another word.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
What have Aodh, Madman* and Dagrun learned since developing powers?

How about, What have brothers of mine learned since developing powers? It would include all of them, not just the most succesful ones we know about.

newcomer

Learned
If you just want more information, how about

Tell me everything you know about everyone similar to me.

This would also include their name, location, personal life, etc.

newcomer

Learned
It has to be a question however. That said it could work.

Then how about this:

What information do you have about everyone similar to me?

and maybe someone could advise me how to create a good question so that we're not fucked over the fine print?
For example the question above can be answered as "Oh, I know their name, location, personal life, etc. But I'm not going to tell you coz you don't ask me to do so. Sucks to be you"

Baltika9

Arcane
I fully support and endorse this new unholy alliance.I will update the tally as soon as I get on a PC.
treave: yes,"everything they learned" includes Dagrun's S&M 101 technicues.
Who knows,maybe it will finally get Dio's betrothed hot for him :troll:

Esquilax

Arcane
newcomer, I don't really like that question because it'll give info that is mostly irrelevant or useless to us. Asking "What information do you have about everyone similar to me?" will probably yield stuff like location, name, abilities about every immortal that Fenrir knows about, but it won't tell us what they actually know, which is really the crux of it all. Honestly, we don't really care about their name, location, etc. that much.

In contrast, asking Fenrir "What have they learned?" implies what sort of knowledge have they gained about Ean, the reasons for the Empire's collapse, etc. that the "What information do you have..." question doesn't imply. Wording is very important.

Basically, I think this is what we're looking for information on and what we're interested in:
  • Why the Empire is collapsing, and what Ean has to do with it
  • How Ean can be returned in his full splendor and glory
  • What the origin of these powers are. Dio can't remember anything before he was adopted by Velius Camna, there may be something more to this and perhaps the others have similar experiences.
  • General knowledge on immortals, Ean and the Empire's past that would allow us to get a clearer picture of events.
I believe that the question as it is now won't give us any of this. However, the question that I've got will likely give us a big chunk of this. The combined knowledge of Aodh, Dagrun and the madman will give us the clearest picture of events by far and allow us to steer things in the most favourable way possible.

TOME, the reason I'm limiting the infodump to Aodh, Dagrun and the Madman is because they are the most knowledgeable. We don't care about what say, Ban knows, because Ban doesn't know anything. And we could get fucked over on the wording because of the usage of "brothers", which is kinda meaningless in the context of how we're related to the other immortals, so we might learn nothing (after all, we're not really brothers at all). If you used a term like "those like me" then perhaps, but I don't think that "brothers" would work.

Edit: Another problem, even if you altered the wording to What have those like me learned since developing powers? this would be problematic because the wording would include Fenrir, who is probably Shulgi. It would result in the same problem that treave mentioned here:

Second, since your question is awfully vague (it doesn't refer to what type of knowledge, you might get pages of Joan's Best Recipes), Dio is going to die of hunger before Fenrir finishes talking. :lol:

I mean, I have nothing against giving out info, it's just that that question is going to lead to one hell of an infodump that might take me a couple of weeks to complete. If you guys are patient enough, that's fine with me.

Basically, we'd be asking for everything that Fenrir/possibly Shulgi has learned ever since he developed his powers. So pretty much every piece of knowledge he's gained over the past 3,000+ years. There are some things out there that are dangerous for Dio to know at the moment, so we shouldn't start asking for that much. It's a bad idea. Let's narrow our search down to the most knowledgeable players here, then take it from there.

newcomer

Learned
Fair enough, I guess. I'll go with your question then, until I can suggest a better one.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can't refer to the Madman by name because you don't know his name. Also, regarding Runikylos... yeah, everything seems normal. It could mean he's just a normal person... or it could be that he's extremely good at hiding himself...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom