Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

newcomer

Learned
Runikylos-is-Shulgi hereby confirmed :troll:

No, I'm sure he's just a random bloke who's view of the world is rejected by his parents and have a "highly-desirable" sister :troll:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Well treave could screw us up with pretty much every question we come up. 'Similar to me' and 'those like me' could mean people who have powers and who don't remember anything about their childhood and who are serving RK and so on. Fenrir could simply come up with a answer that there are none like you, you are unique. And 'learned since' could get us an extremely long answer about everything they have learned since, including new techniques to wipe ass and etc.

But I don't think treave intends to do that. treave, if we were to ask a question with a 'brothers of mine' in it, who would be included in the answer? Aodh, Dagrun, fatman, madman, Ban, Fenrir, Shulgi? My guess is that it would include all the young immortals who were seeded same time as Dio, so not Shulgi or Fenrir.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Every single person that is alike to Aodh, Ban, Dio et al. As I said earlier, I won't screw you guys over by giving too little information. Instead, by being too vague you'll get a big infodump instead.

Baltika9

Arcane
New tally:
Second Esquilax-Baltikan Concordiat- What are my origins, how are You and Ean involved?
1- Stygian Lurker

Esquilaxian II- What's behind Shinar's troubles, how are you and Ean involved?
3- Arpad, Tigranes, Storyfag

Smashing Axian- "What must I do to triumph against all my rivals?"
1- Smashing Axe

Baltikan-Esquilaxian corollary to Earl of Lambchop's II- In what ways can the original Ean be fully restored?
1-Lambchop19

Codexian- What can change the nature of a man?
3- oscar, root, Baltika9

"The Unholy Alliance of Esquilax and Baltika9"- What have Aodh, Madman* and Dagrun learned since developing powers?
3- Esquilax, newcomer, TOME

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Flopping to What have Aodh, Madman* and Dagrun learned since developing powers?, not editing old post.

Baltika9

Arcane
Bros, with all the injuries Dio received, if we play it right, we can spin it as if he is a die-hard patriot and shut RK and his rivals up with :kwanzania: Hell, maybe he should become a recruiter. "Uncle Dio" has a nice ring to it.
images
"Where were YOU when the Empire asked for an eye?"

ScubaV

Prophet
Sorry guys, I've been pretty busy lately. And while I was initially intrigued, I subsequently lost interest in Dio as a protagonist (no fault of treave's). I skimmed most of what has happened and it looks like you all have done fairly well. I won't vote right now since I'm somewhat uninformed on recent events and theories. Maybe if we need a tiebreaker.

Esquilax

Arcane
root, that is an interesting question, but I'm also concerned about not really getting much out of the question. Wording is really important in the question that we ask and the biggest obstacle to the question of "What can change the nature of a man?" probably has to do with the fact that Dio, Ean, and the rest of the immortals aren't really men any more. Sure, I understand what you're getting at and I'm very tempted to flop - I see all the advantages in tapping Fenrir's knowledge of how we came to develop our powers, and also in the change of Ean's nature and his development of hunger, plus the clues it will give us into changing our own nature into that of Ean, but there are still the problems with the actual wording of the question that keep me from committing to a flop at the moment.

treave, would "man" in this case mean mortals, or would it also apply to Dio and those like him?Perhaps something like "What can change the nature of a man into this?" would make more sense, but then again, that's pretty much almost the same thing as asking Fenrir about Dio's origins and how they relate back to Ean and Fenrir.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It would be a very general question attempting to cover all of humanity, the way it is phrased.

newcomer

Learned
It would be a very general question attempting to cover all of humanity, the way it is phrased.

Which means Dio will die out of boredom from the infodump? Will that cause the protagonist to shift to the real Ean again? :troll:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
:troll:

No matter what questions you ask there will be some useful insights, so don't be too worried about things like fine print.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm late for the party, it seems.

Esquilax said all that needs to be said about my doubts for this: our heroes are not really men as far as conventional definitions are concerned.

However, since I'm the one who brought the topic up, I'll add the part E omitted: Ean is more human and humane than some(most) humans. And since What can change the nature of a man? is a philosophical question, rather than a physical one, I think Ean, at the least him, is in the clear here.

The only thing that worries me is that we're asking Fenrir, who is most likely either Nabu or Shulgi(probably Shulgi), how to be come a better person. Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?

treave: can we ask Fenrir what was TNO's horrible crime? Does he know?

P.S.: Since everyone else is doing it, might as well
:troll:

Edit: I'm actually solid with the question and will flop if it actually stands a chance at winning.
The only reason I didn't support it in the beginning is because I didn't think it had a snowball's chance in hell.

Baltika9

Arcane
Or maybe we're thinking on too small a scale here? So far this question has only been discussed in relation to Ean and the Immortals.
What can change the nature of a man?

With enough research, I think this answer may lead us to another.
What can change the nature of mankind?
Considering what the poor bastards are going to be facing in the future, well, this might just be the question we need to ask.

Thoughts?

Edit: flopping to What can change the nature of a man? for now, to avoid a "lol, time's out."

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah sorry, this just makes that question less and less attractive. The rationale behind my question was to find out what Aodh, the Madman and Dagrun have learned since the beginning of this chapter, hopefully allowing us to know what's really going on by having the clearest picture of events out of all of them.

This isn't to say my own proposal doesn't have problems as well. Knowing what only our rivals know would forego the possibility of asking for something special that only Fenrir would know, which is definitely a little disappointing.

However, since I'm the one who brought the topic up, I'll add the part E omitted: Ean is more human and humane than some(most) humans. And since What can change the nature of a man? is a philosophical question, rather than a physical one, I think Ean, at the least him, is in the clear here.

The only thing that worries me is that we're asking Fenrir, who is most likely either Nabu or Shulgi(probably Shulgi), how to be come a better person. Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?

This makes no sense to me. Sekhenun is more humane than a lot of humans too on account of going native, does that mean that the question would involve finding out her whereabouts and her knowledge as well? The point is that Sek is about as human as Ean is (i.e. not at all) so asking a question about man would mean something different than asking about immortals or asking about Gieloth.

Baltika9

Arcane
This makes no sense to me. Sekhenun is more humane than a lot of humans too on account of going native, does that mean that the question would involve finding out her whereabouts and her knowledge as well? The point is that Sek is about as human as Ean is (i.e. not at all) so asking a question about man would mean something different than asking about immortals or asking about Gieloth.

And that's the "root" of the problem, isn't it? And the only real way to find out, without going into pseudo-philosophy about what constitutes a Man(since TNO wasn't really a human and yet it still applied to him, hell, to every single being in the planes, if I understood it correctly), is to ask it and hope that whatever we learn will be useful to Dio.

Herein lies my dilemma: this question will, I am two hundred percent confident, give us very, very, Very Important Information with big dividends in the long run.
Problem is, right now, in the short run, it leaves us high and dry. The only real use I can see for Dio is verbally mindfucking the other Immortals into whatever it is we want them to do/be. And turning his frigid shrew into Thania 2.0. And that's a big maybe.

But I really want to ask it. As the saying goes, I'm rather torn.

Omicron

Scholar
Voting 'What have Aodh, Madman* and Dagrun learned since developing powers?'.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Seriously? You guys want to ask "What can change the nature of a man?"? After Dio just lost his eye to get this answer? Seriously?:retarded:

Flopping to What have Aodh, Madman* and Dagrun learned since developing powers?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Although I dislike the question because it doesn't give us any information beyond what our opponents have, as well as gives us misinformation they might believe to be true as well, it's still better than "what can change the nature of a man?", so if it's between the two, I'll support "What have, Aodh, Madman, and Dagrun learned since developing powers?" as well.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.15: The Wolf's Answer

"What a boring question, Diogenes Camna. I expected something a bit more tricky from you. It looks like the resources that have been made available to you so far have been wasted if you have to resort to asking me about these mundane matters. What they have learned instead of what they have planned, eh? Well, I care not. I will tell you what I know, as promised.

Young Prince Dagrun was the first to realize his powers, so let us start with him. He knows that he and Jannik and you and others were granted the possibility of having abilities that were beyond that of humanity. The First Emperor, Ean, is quite possibly the source of those abilities. At least, that is what Dagrun believes. He feels that all of you are his brothers, and that you are all actual children of Ean. What else has he learned... ah, yes. He has learned that he loves being in pain, particularly since there are no long-lasting effects due to his skill at restoring the living and the soon-to-be dead. He has also learnt that his royal parents are not his real parents.

The Watcher, Aodh, knows a few more things. In his sojourns far from the capital, I believe he has discovered the actual truth behind these mysterious powers. A little less than ten years ago, all of you had resided in an orphanage in Gallia just five days south of the capital. It was run by a branch of the Watchers interested in experimentation with things that are not of this world. There were a hundred little orphans back then. More than five hundred years ago, that branch of Watchers managed to obtain the body of what they think is the First Emperor, though Aodh found that records of that event were scant. It was kept a secret from all but the highest echelons of their organization.

As the centuries passed by, their reverence appears to have become twisted; they became convinced that Ean desired they produce his progeny. They spent many decades pursuing the means of doing so, and finally found a breakthrough in ancient Babylonian documents dating back to the rule of Marduk. By using the flesh of the Emperor, they could - through a surgical procedure performed on suitable candidates - imbue normal humans with special powers. The first to volunteer were Watchers, and they were all driven insane by the surgery. They later discovered that the younger the candidates, the more likely it was for them to come through unscathed. Countless years and lives were spent in optimizing their methods, and the one hundred orphans that are your siblings, so to speak, are the end result of that optimization. However, ten years ago, an order came down from the Emperor of the Shinar, Rennephilio XIV, to cease the experiments and spread the children all over the known world. Of course, Aodh believes that this implies the Imperial family have knowledge of the entire matter and that their hands are hardly as clean as he thought.

Finally, the Madman of Anatolia has learned little - he has always known the truth about everything before he gained his current powers, though that truth is distorted by his addled brain. There is only one important thing that he has discovered since; the location of Ean's body. It is in a vault in New Athens, having being moved there a hundred years ago when the colony was first founded. He believes that he himself is the Emperor trapped in another body, and he will be able to regain his own form once he makes physical contact with the sleeping Emperor."

You had a feeling that the wolf had told you more, but in your current condition you could barely stay awake, let alone listen attentively to the droning voice in your head. At least you were sure you had memorized the important parts. As Fenrir's voice trails off, you slip away into blissful slumber.

When you awoke in the middle of the empty drinking hall, the sunlight shining brightly in your eye, you found that you felt much better. Even though your eye was still gone, the empty socket had ceased to give you any pain - a terrible itch had replaced it making you unsure whether it was a trade for the better or for the worse. Your burns had left scars all over your body, which did not hurt but definitely gave you an unpleasant demeanour, stretching your skin in red, tight patterns. It also seemed that in the excitement of the night, you had injured your left leg without noticing, forcing you to limp your way back to your room at the inn. You hoped that these wounds would heal fully in time, but for now you would not be charming anyone with your looks. A sheet of paper pinned under a dagger in your room told you that 'Emperor Jannik' had decreed that your show of loyalty to the cult was inspiring and for now you were needed to infiltrate the Skane royal family in whatever way you wished. For a few nights to come, you attempt to get in contact with your Watchers in order to obtain information on what to do next,, but no word is forthcoming.

A. You stay in Skane and do what the cult wishes. It would be a good way to both gain some personal power and maneuver against both the cult and the royal family, now that you seem to have gained the cult's trust.

B. You head to the orphanage in Gallia. Aodh may have missed out on something in his investigations, and now that your Watchers appear to have deserted you, you think it is best that you at least pretend to really throw in your lot with him.

C. You go to Rus, to meet up with Ban and possibly the Madman of Anatolia. Some time out on the grassy plains might do you good and if you can use the knowledge you have just obtained to get Ban on your side, you will feel more at ease.

D. You make for New Athens. Ean's body was there, and you plan to get there first before any of these other 'brothers' of yours. The power of the First Emperor would be yours, whether directly or indirectly.

Baltika9

Arcane
[Bluff]: success. :smug:

I really don't mind it winning, although I'd be much more comfortable if we asked about Joan or RK instead of the madman, considering Ban would have to be a retard to loose him again.

Esquilax

Arcane
:rage:

Ah, shit. My question was pretty lame, I guess. I suppose we should have went with "How can the original Ean be fully restored?" or "What's behind Shinar's troubles, how are you and Ean involved?" We (I) got trolled.

Anyways, I think here are the benefits/drawbacks of each choice:

A) We use our newfound leverage with the cult to restore our eye and heal our injuries. Problem is we learn nothing really meaningful and we don't really make any moves to advance the plot.

B) Dumb. Yeah, Aodh may have missed something, and we'll probably figure out how the Imperial Family figures into all of this, but we know that Runikylos is definitely smarter than he appears. Also, we know that the Emperor laughing off the anonymous weapon shipment to Ban was almost certainly him playing dumb. They know that we were working with the Concordiat and that we sent those weapons to Ban.

C) If we meet up with Ban and get him on our side, we could go to New Athens with some much needed muscle. The vault is guarded and I'm certain that the Prince's Watchers are guarding the place. In our condition, going through the place would be very difficult. With a naive Ban backing us up, he could be duped into fighting through the place for us, at which point we try to take the mantle of First Emperor.

D) Going there in our condition is extremely risky, but we'd be the first to arrive before anybody else.

Right now I'm voting D but I could flop to C
Flopping to C

Tigranes

Arcane
This is what happens when we discuss shit too long. Esquilax's first options were good ones.

I don't really understand the cult stuff. I mean, isn't it clear now Dagrun is the true power behind the cult? What benefits us by 'earning its trust' and sticking around? I say C or D as well...

Baltika9

Arcane
And all that time I spent telling you bros that Dio was simply implanted with a piece of Ean and that RK was against reassembling Ean, none of you listened. Now I know how the Madman feels all the time.
____

I've said this once and I'll say it again:
As the centuries passed by, their reverence appears to have become twisted; they became convinced that Ean desired they produce his progeny. They spent many decades pursuing the means of doing so, and finally found a breakthrough in ancient Babylonian documents dating back to the rule of Marduk. By using the flesh of the Emperor, they could - through a surgical procedure performed on suitable candidates - imbue normal humans with special powers. The first to volunteer were Watchers, and they were all driven insane by the surgery. They later discovered that the younger the candidates, the more likely it was for them to come through unscathed. Countless years and lives were spent in optimizing their methods, and the one hundred orphans that are your siblings, so to speak, are the end result of that optimization. However, ten years ago, an order came down from the Emperor of the Shinar, Rennephilio XIV, to cease the experiments and spread the children all over the known world. Of course, Aodh believes that this implies the Imperial family have knowledge of the entire matter and that their hands are hardly as clean as he thought.

Ean->Sekhenun.
1336999196207.jpg

Sums up the situation perfectly.
Goddammit Sek, it's "punishment" time.
Well, there is an upside to all of this:
and the one hundred orphans that are your siblings, so to speak, are the end result of that optimization.
We have a hundred Primarchs, baby!
Problem, Concordiat?

Edit: at least now we know why Dio has only two active powers: Ean's balls count separately.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

C - We need to stay far from Aodh, so he can't read our mind, but D sounds too good to be true. If all he had to do was go to new Athens, the Madman would have done it himself by now. We need to meet him and find out what he knows, then use Ban to take out whatever guards are there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom