Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Top 50 cRPGs - Retards who cannot read and Discussion thread

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wrpgfags are a insecure bunch. 20 years of Jrpg dominance in the video games sure make people butthurt around these parts.
If you're going to troll, you have to at least make it plausible that *some* people could actually believe what you're saying to be the case.

i.e. There has not been a jrpg of note released outside of Japan for a long, long time now.
Then explain the butthurt about Dark Souls. Nevermind that it's not a classic JRPG but a western-style RPG developed by a Japanese team and that it's a better WRPG than most of the WRPGs released during the last 10 years or so.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Also Jrpgs don't need to be Kickstarted :smug: So much for :monocle: that they need to beg like a bunch of subhumans

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
:lol: so much butthurt over the IGN list, yet you guys do the same shit like a bunch of amateurs... If you like mmorpgs, just make a top X mmorpgs. Might as well just make a top X best games ever.

It was the only MMO on my list. Besides, I don't recall even seeing the IGN list. I guess I just don't really care what others like all that much unless it's to have a discussion over the merits (or lack of) of a game. I hate a lot of games that many around here enjoy. YMMV.

sser

Arcane
Developer
To my surprise Icewind Dale didnt make my list....but did include System Shock 2 and Deus Ex and if any poseur has a problem with that fuck them in the ear...and all this retarded bashing of BG2 must be a flashback of Jaesun and all the circle jerk Codex drones of their hischool years, betweem getting wedgies and saying football jocks where inferior to their superior RPG skillz

Bull. People have legitimate problems with the BG series, namely the setting, characters, plot etc.

Combat was alright, but then you play IWD and wonder why the hell would you play BG for the combat; and then you play Planescape and wonder why the hell you'd play BG for the story.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Then explain the butthurt about Dark Souls. Nevermind that it's not a classic JRPG...
Why should I never mind when I was specifically talking about jrpgs?
Because this insecurity about JRPG creeped into insecurity about games developed for consoles/games developed in Japan, which is the case with Dark Souls. There is no other explanation for the rabid butthurt some Codexers display when people start mentioning Dark Souls.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It would be interesting to add something like "still recommended today" after each cRPG name.
Because i would not recommend to play Dungeon Master, Ultima 4 or Daggerfall nowadays even if they are in my top 25 RPG list.
It will also allow me to pick other people games knowing they could still be very enjoyable.
Dungeon Master holds up pretty well even today. Maybe even better, since it's twitchy as fuck.

I agree, Dungeon Masters holds up pretty well.

I'm also surprised Eye of the Beholder II is not getting more votes. Still one of the best RPGs, at least in terms of atmosphere.

Murk

Arcane
Sorry, this may have been covered but it's been 7 pages already -- were we counting games like The Void in there? It is not a cRPG but I can see the whole character improvement + stats + interaction business in the game. Anyway, if so I'm definitely adding it.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
There is Pathologic, Outcast, STALKER and others listed so why not?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mikayel: You're allowed to list any game you personally consider to be an RPG, unless Jaesun doesn't like it (or you) for some unspecified reason. :hero:

Gregz

Arcane
This is totally stupid and pointless and I'm simply not going to vote on anything.

:obviously:

Chicken.

Many people will benefit from a true :obviously: RPG list for years, nay, decades to come.

They will look at the ancient records of the internets and see a list agreed upon by those of us who safegaurded the genre...would you ignore such a sacred responsibility Cassidy?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why do people call dark souls a rpg if they don't call symphony of the night one?

:troll:

MMXI

Arcane
Then explain the butthurt about Dark Souls. Nevermind that it's not a classic JRPG but a western-style RPG developed by a Japanese team and that it's a better WRPG than most of the WRPGs released during the last 10 years or so.
How is Dark Souls a western-style RPG? It's nothing like Wizardry, Wasteland, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Pool of Radiance etc. Single character, action combat. It's an action RPG, a type of game that was quite big in Japan back in the 80s, before it really became a thing over here.

Oh, I forgot. It doesn't have an anime art style. That makes it a western-style RPG.

Mortmal

Arcane
How is Dark Souls a western-style RPG? It's nothing like Wizardry, Wasteland, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Pool of Radiance etc. Single character, action combat. It's an action RPG, a type of game that was quite big in Japan back in the 80s, before it really became a thing over here.

Oh, I forgot. It doesn't have an anime art style. That makes it a western-style RPG.

its more closer to the underworld sub genre, discussions about character builds are pages long on the codex, that definitvely shows there matter to discuss on it. Also unforgiving like the game of old.Its not just about art direction its the whole gameplay thing.

Mortmal

Arcane
It would be interesting to add something like "still recommended today" after each cRPG name.
Because i would not recommend to play Dungeon Master, Ultima 4 or Daggerfall nowadays even if they are in my top 25 RPG list.
It will also allow me to pick other people games knowing they could still be very enjoyable.
Dungeon Master holds up pretty well even today. Maybe even better, since it's twitchy as fuck.

I agree, Dungeon Masters holds up pretty well.

I'm also surprised Eye of the Beholder II is not getting more votes. Still one of the best RPGs, at least in terms of atmosphere.

Eye of the beholder are well worth mentioning, but ihe wants 25 titles only , so i chose the first one coming back to mind, but i could easily fill a top 50 list .

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
"As I said, I chalk that up to it being rushed. I don't disagree the combat is horrible. But... since you voted for New Vegas... explain. Might as well vote for Dungeon Siege 3, too."

I voted for BL too despite its shitty combat. And, for the same reasons I did NV. L0L DS3. DS3 is just plain shit. It is garbage. To comapre it to either BL or NV is retarted.

So, name the redeeming features of New Vegas.

skuphundaku

Patron

Yeah, single character and action combat. That's not what makes or breaks a RPG. If you want to go back to "What is a RPG?", then be my guest. Dark Souls is an open world action RPG. It's definitely better than almost all the AAA western RPGs released lately (Mass Effect series, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim) and has better production value than the rest of the recent western RPGs. If you're stuck in the "RPGs need to have a party and be turn based, otherwise they're not RPGs" paradigm, then I'm sorry for you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh, and anyone voting WoW... Jesus... maybe if this list were 'Most influential games' but I'm sorry, even if WoW used to have some neat quest lines to call it one of the top 25 RPGs of all time is ludicrous. Then again I saw some votes for Borderlands. El oh fucking el.

skuphundaku

Patron
Diablo 1
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
World of Warcraft
Dragon Age 2 (Origins was too slow and unresponsive on my game pad)
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3 (didn't like the first one as much...too many guns etc.)
Dungeon Siege 1
Dungeon Siege 2
Dungeon Siege 3
Fallout 3 (this was ok; never played the first 2, but from what I've seen they seem boring and look like shit)
Skyrim (was OK, kinda boring though...no real npc interaction and no romance which is a must for me in an non-action RPG)
SW:TOR (kinda dialogue heavy but I'm a star wars fan...even though I'm not sure how we went from episode 3 to this but w/e)
Guild Wars 2 (free to play and awesome graphics? oh yeeeah!)

Honorable mention Baldur's Gate 2...although I couldn't understand the leveling system, and controlling 4 characters at once is hard as hell, I could tell from the first dungeon that it had a pretty good story. Too bad BioWare was still noobs at rpg and couldn't streamline the gameplay to make it easier for the player to get into.
WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING?:what:
kill+it+with+fire.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom