Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher Gameplay Videos (from E3) - Updated!

sheek

Arbiter
Either that or they're going for a brilliant strategy to capture the handicapped gaming market.

Kendar

Novice
An excellent video, both stunning and tactical.

Autumn, right ? So Gothic 3 + The Witcher, and Neverwinter 2 (let's hope), and Dark Messiah if I am under a orc genocide crisis. Maybe 2006 might be a decent year after all.

onerobot

Scholar
I agree, it didn't look that horrible. There are a number of different fighting styles but it looks like they don't just affect the animations and actually make a significant strategic difference, unlike the KOTORs where it barely mattered, if at all. If all goes well they'll make it fairly unforgiving and the composition of the party will make a difference on how they interract with the world (or at least kill things).

Some things to keep in mind, though:

- Very simple character interraction
- The graphics are way too good
- Hundreds of motion-captued moves

It's definitely an action rpg, but at least it seems to be a good one.

aboyd

Liturgist
Wow. The thing I came away with from part 2 was huge load times. One of those loading screens took almost 40 seconds. The game is going to feel veeeeerrrryy dull if I have to endure many load screens of that length.

-Tony

bryce777

Erudite
onerobot said:
I agree, it didn't look that horrible. There are a number of different fighting styles but it looks like they don't just affect the animations and actually make a significant strategic difference, unlike the KOTORs where it barely mattered, if at all. If all goes well they'll make it fairly unforgiving and the composition of the party will make a difference on how they interract with the world (or at least kill things).

Some things to keep in mind, though:

- Very simple character interraction
- The graphics are way too good
- Hundreds of motion-captued moves

It's definitely an action rpg, but at least it seems to be a good one.

There is no party.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
I didnt like the character movement, it looked too abrupt and robotic, you know, like the player goes from standing still to full speed running in one frame..
And another thing that I really really hate is those bloody blue lines that every fuckin 3dperson game insists on drawing when you swing your sword or shoot an arrow.. I dont know why its so popular?? Yes, it makes you see exacly how your sword goes, but it also makes everything look disgustingly ugly..

Anywho, the videoquality was too low to judge on the combat, how it worked and such..

I do hope this game turns out good, but since it reliase heavily on combat, it doesnt seem all to promising from my point of view, at least not the graphical part..

edit: I looked at the combatvideo again, and I must say that it all looks very robotic, animations looks so clunky. or something.. I dont know, there is something wrong with them.. or maybe im just tired and messed up, or maybe the videoquality just downright sux,. blahblah,. nevermind

sheek

Arbiter
How come Bluealien is the only website on the 'net providing the videos? Even the Witcher website hasn't got part 1 - they give a link in the comments section of a 'Coming soon!' announcement.

Stingy pollacks?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
These are ILLEGAL LEAKED videos from an UNPOLISHEd (lol pun) and UNOPTIMIZED beta and that's why animation sucks and loading times are huge.

I thought the magical blue lines that appear during hacking are to conceal the embarassing fact that the sword doesn't really make contact with enemies in any reasonable way.

The game will still pwn3eri3e the RPG market - trust me, I'm from the same country as this brilliant goalkeeper.

Micmu

Magister
Well, it didn't look like The Twitcher like I thought it would. Being able to play with a mouse only sure is nice. Looks like it's neither a clickfest nor bioware's shitty RTS combat.

Btw. you downloaded the second video too much - Bandwidth Limit Exceeded. Any mirrors?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It works again. A mystical secret contact of mine asked me to tell you that the Friendly Blue Alien site didn't anticipate the high bandwidth utilization post E3 so they were not prepared, but they fixed everything and all downloads should be working fine now.

Also, the videos are totally legit (someone apparently didn't get my bad joke) and the CDProjekt team is like totally cool & dandy.

But the important bit is, "If you all have any questions feel free to pass them on, we're in contact with The Witcher team from time to time to update them on their press coverage." So, if you have any questions for the Witcher team that for some unknown reason you'd prefer to ask here and not at the official Witcher boards, feel free to post them in this thread, and I may or may not send them to my mystical secret contact from the Friendly Blue Alien site, and the contact may or may not send it to the Witcher team, then the Witcher team may or may not read it, so it may or may not get answered.

sheek

Arbiter
Elwro said:
Also, the videos are totally legit (someone apparently didn't get my bad joke) and the CDProjekt team is like totally cool & dandy.

But the important bit is, "If you all have any questions feel free to pass them on, we're in contact with [snip]

Yes, obviously. That's why I made my comment.

Anyway the videos so far are barely informative. There's a definite lack of professionalism coming from CDRP.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
sheek said:
Anyway the videos so far are barely informative. There's a definite lack of professionalism coming from CDRP.

What is your basis of comparison with that statement? I think I've seen more of the Witcher than I have most other games prior to their release. I couldn't understand a damn thing that was said in those specific videos because of the guy's accent and the background noise, but it was fairly obvious what was being displayed. EA doesn't exactly make for a high quality, professional demo to video experience when the demonstration takes place out on the show floor or wherever that was.

There are several videos out there showing different aspects of the game:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=7911&type=wmv&pl=game

The above one is probably the most interesting as it shows of some of the dialogue, multiple solutions to quests, and such. Keep in mind the voice acted bits are all place holder stuff at this point from what I've read as VO is usually the last thing to go in.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/682/682220/vids_1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=Witcher&sub=m&stype=11&type=11

It's not like they can show footage of the game in its entirety though if that's what you deem as professional.

BTW Sheek...you do understand that it wasn't CDProjekt that filmed the videos you posted right? It was obviously an interview, probably by Blue Alien...that's why you don't see those specific vids anywhere else. :D

don_tomaso said:
I didnt like the character movement, it looked too abrupt and robotic, you know, like the player goes from standing still to full speed running in one frame..

If you pay attention, it appears the character has different run speeds depending on how far away you click from him, which seems like it could be a nice touch. Regardless, when sprinting, a person generally doesn't start off at a slow jog and work their way up to a run, they just go from not moving to sprinting.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The second video, the effects of choices one, really heightens my interest. The idea that freeing some guy(which seems like a good guy option) can later lead to two outcomes, one bad and one good is pretty neat design.

If I can deal with the combat, I think I might like this one. The twitch combat is the one thing about this game I've seen I really don't like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom