Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XV = Skyrim killer?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
realize that the people buying the games will never give a shit about what makes sense and what doesn't
That explains why stuff like FF8 and FF10, with its mindfucking retardation comparable only to Flatout 3 and infamous ME3 ending, is generally praised instead bashed. Seriously, as for jrpgs, FF fapdom is one of the wqorst things one can encounter.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
But of course this is Square Enix we are talking about. Instead we will get more J-pop, insane people with so many vomit inducing hair colors that it will make you puke, voice acting done by professional saturday morning cartoon voice-actors, and story that makes no sense.
Better than looking at one person in a standard clothes, other person in a standard clothes...

Western games were one like another and bit boring.

I like JRPG's, but really, are you defending FFXIII?
No, I'm not into hack and slash games, and it had relatively normal story. Have you talked about FF XIII from the beginning? It looked like you are talking about all SE games.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
realize that the people buying the games will never give a shit about what makes sense and what doesn't
That explains why stuff like FF8 and FF10, with its mindfucking retardation comparable only to Flatout 3 and infamous ME3 ending, is generally praised instead bashed. Seriously, as for jrpgs, FF fapdom is one of the wqorst things one can encounter.

Never played FF 8, but FF 10 had a great ending. It was bittersweet, and not the ending I would have chosen, but it took guts. ME 3 ending was utter shit, from what I know the entire universe just exploded....making all of what you did kinda pointless.

But in FF 10 SIN was permanently defeated and Spira was saved and had a real future now...but at great cost. Summoning was forever gone (apparently), Auron died, and Tidus returned to the future where he was from. (though Yuna got him back in the shit game that was FF 12)

Sul

Savant
If only they would cut out that Muslim stuff
What muslim stuff? Are you talking about the rags and t-shirts wrapped around the head? That's pretty much the standard attire for any criminal who doesn't want to have his identity discovered and live in some hot place, like the ones here in Brazil.

Ermm

Erudite
What muslim stuff? Are you talking about the rags and t-shirts wrapped around the head? That's pretty much the standard attire for any criminal who doesn't want to have his identity discovered and live in some hot place, like the ones here in Brazil.

My problem is that the brazilians, or muslims, or whatever with their AK-47's look like they have been taken straight out of COD or Max Payne 3. And just simply copy pasting real life brazilians/muslims with their AK47s and merging it with such a japanese fantasy setting doesn't go well together in my opinion. I could understand if they would remind me of brazilians or terrorists etc. only if they would be designed only to resemble them. I can also just copy-paste gangsters from 1930's with tommy guns in some fantasy game, and say, ''hey guyz, this is original.''

Machocruz

Arcane
The whole setting looks like a combination of west asian and south american cultures. More interesting than the future-with-swords thing they do.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist

Never played FF 8, but FF 10 had a great ending. It was bittersweet, and not the ending I would have chosen, but it took guts. ME 3 ending was utter shit, from what I know the entire universe just exploded....making all of what you did kinda pointless.

But in FF 10 SIN was permanently defeated and Spira was saved and had a real future now...but at great cost. Summoning was forever gone (apparently), Auron died, and Tidus returned to the future where he was from. (though Yuna got him back in the shit game that was FF 12)

It's not about the ending, but everything else what was present between the begin and end. I'd even say it's especially not about the ending, because how can I have any objections for a part, which brings an end and conclusion to pathetic show the game was?
In short, there was an alarming amount of things which were plainly inconsistent, immature, retarded, awkward, absurd or jut didn't make any sense. Those adjectives concern setting, story, characters, plot, design of in- game stuff and first of all- *writing*. And I say that about games from a serie that, well, you know what.
I don't say both games are equally bad, though- I believe FF8 was much more retarded than FF10.

BTW, FFX had many factors which make the game an example of :decline: .
They replaced pre- rendered backgrounds with 100% 3D and intruduced for the first time voice acting. Those 2 things resulted with a game with graphics worse than before and a shit- ton of pointless dialogues voiced so poorly and so annoying I'd set them to mute in the first place.

Also Tidus, this annoying gay fucktard character with the worst VA I've ever heard, was from the past, not the future. And it was FFX-2 aka Final Fantasy: Fanservice Edition, where they wanted to bring him back, not FF12.

Machocruz

Arcane
FF8 had kind of as sweet romantic thing going on. But convoluted plot as usual. They rolled out the old amnesia, flashbacks, villain behind the villain, time travel, sudden plot twists, emotionally constipated characters. Trying to hard to be epic and emotionally engagig, didn't really mind. I think it's a damn sight better than 10. Wakka is a loathsome character with a ridiculous visual design. Game had an overall effeminate vibe, didn't give me the feeling of a rousing adventure. Possibly best TB combat in the game though, although I hate having only 3 party members in play at a time.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
bro, sorry to break it to you but combat in the FF games is usually kind of shit, 8 included

Sul

Savant

My problem is that the brazilians, or muslims, or whatever with their AK-47's look like they have been taken straight out of COD or Max Payne 3. And just simply copy pasting real life brazilians/muslims with their AK47s and merging it with such a japanese fantasy setting doesn't go well together in my opinion. I could understand if they would remind me of brazilians or terrorists etc. only if they would be designed only to resemble them. I can also just copy-paste gangsters from 1930's with tommy guns in some fantasy game, and say, ''hey guyz, this is original.''
They clothing is perfect fine since it matches with the setting (slum set on a desert/arid place) and their hole (criminals/resistence/etc who don't want to be identified). I agree with the choice of weapon, though.

Ermm

Erudite
I said that my problem is they are just taken straight out of popamole military shooters shooters and straight in a fantasy game. They should've been designed to resemble them, not to be exactly like them.

That includes their guns. Something that would resemble AK-47's, and something that would belong in this supposed fantasy world.

Instead.....

Brazilian gangster/terrorists/whatever from FF tech demo
muslim.png

Brazilian gangster from MP3
muslim2.jpg

These two could be cousins for all I care.

I can't just imagine these dudes on a chocobo. They are clearly out of place. As I said, if they were redesigned, and WOULD RESEMBLE THEM!!!!!! then it would be OK.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well I could mention FF X fight with dark aeons (for example with sisters), but I was curious if he knows about what he's talking about.

Cool name

Arcane
And yeah, I know JRPG's of old days also had green, blue haired characters, but to see them in full glorious new gen 3d? Ughh. And at least most of the time they were presented in anime-ish format, and it is clear that Square Enix is trying to make lifelike humans in their glorious CGI, and purple, green etc. hairs in their glorious 3d just looks like a colorful puke on someone's head. In traditional anime format I have no problems with that.

Ravers and fashionistas do play videogames too.

If we do consider all the main characters are idol like crazy fashionistas (and when was the last time you did see a Final Fantasy main character be plain in looks and normal in dress?) the strange hair colors do not raise an eyebrow.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well I could mention FF X fight with dark aeons (for example with sisters), but I was curious if he knows about what he's talking about.
Exceptions do not make the rule, bro. The fact you're pointing so proudly at optional end-game boss just shows how much the other fights in the game are not that good... besides, most of the FF optional bosses, like the Weapons, are almost a MMO fight where you spend 20-60 minutes chipping down a insanely bloated HP bar, repating the same patterns through the whole fight, with 1-2 attacks ever 5 minutes that require a different response.

Sul

Savant
I said that my problem is they are just taken straight out of popamole military shooters shooters and straight in a fantasy game. They should've been designed to resemble them, not to be exactly like them.

That includes their guns. Something that would resemble AK-47's, and something that would belong in this supposed fantasy world.

Instead.....

Brazilian gangster/terrorists/whatever from FF tech demo
muslim.png

Brazilian gangster from MP3
muslim2.jpg

These two could be cousins for all I care.

I can't just imagine these dudes on a chocobo. They are clearly out of place. As I said, if they were redesigned, and WOULD RESEMBLE THEM!!!!!! then it would be OK.
I'm not saying they don't look like favelitos or terrorists, I agree with you on that. What I'm saying is that they fit with the setting, which is clearly nothing Final Fantasy-like, but something much more closer to reality to the point where it resembles low-fantasy (reagents, rituals, magic being shunned, etc).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Except, you know, for the magic land beyond the favelas:

Agnis-Philosophy-Still-11.jpg
Since the girl uses magic & summons and the favelados use guns & drugs, this could be an amazing setting where the magical users are rare and rule the masses with an iron fist, until they got fucking AK-47 and decided to rebel...

Ermm

Erudite
I'm not saying they don't look like favelitos or terrorists, I agree with you on that. What I'm saying is that they fit with the setting, which is clearly nothing Final Fantasy-like, but something much more closer to reality to the point where it resembles low-fantasy (reagents, rituals, magic being shunned, etc).

Low key magic is cool and all, but as I said, deisgn them a bit more off-worldish, to make you feel like you are not in exact duplicate of some Brazilian shithole. Yes, it can be shithole, but a shithole not out exactly teleported out of Brazil.

And speaking about shitholes, I hope in next FF we will get to visit some of the shady establishments, you know, to see some................ stuff, like MP3 allowed.

izdz.jpg

Oriebam

bro, sorry to break it to you but combat in the FF games is usually kind of shit, 8 included
Have you defeated Omega weapon on level 99?
In XII? No, though I finished the game

I saw a friend do that and finish off Yiazmat for several hours, though, don't ask why

it was really fucking boring, shit drags on too much with zero tension on the player part, I don't know how my FFtard friends managed to enjoy this shit

it's been quite a while since I played it though so I admit don't remember anything about the combat in XII, also did you see the word usually there

edit: look at this shit, how can it be fun? this is the shortest way to beat the boss which the developers probably didn't even intend(damage limits and whatnot), normally it would take hours, HOURS

all that happens in the video is playing with the equipment/gambit menus(that is,micromanagement) or watching the fruits of your micromanagement play the game for you, all of it made possible by "figuring out" Yiazmat's behavior or looking a build up on the internet

this is consistent with what I saw when my friend was trying to finish off the boss(save file with only a few bars left) only he managed to die once (IIRC, but I'm sure his party almost got wiped out at least once) and would fuck up and "intervene" sometimes as his build didn't completely play the game for him or it was necessary to try to nullify one attack or something(he kept equipping the same shield and changing acessories IIRC)

and then omega which is perhaps more relevant

again all that happens in the video is playing with the equipment/gambit menus(that is, micromanagement) or watching the fruits of your micromanagement play the game for you, all of it made possible by "figuring out" Omega's behavior or looking a build up on the internet

at this point I think I was trying to take a nap, so it's like I never even saw my friend play that part

I admit I may be being hasty here since I didn't see what a "normal player" does in Omega's case and didn't play it in a long time so I can't have an opinion on this one game, shouldn't have even kept arguing with you about this one, should just have emphasized I didn't mean every single game when I said the combat wasn't good and you replied with a single end-game FFXII example

considering the history of combat in the FF series* and the fact that the bosses' HP is in the millions and other lazy advantages I have to believe that you have to be seriously fucking autistic/delusional to think doing this shit is fun or good(it's supposed to be the same thing, right?), it's just watching a interface you programmed do your shit for you for several minutes/hours without anything resembling a fast forward button, come on

*played IV/V/VII/VIII/XII, different levels of completion and sometimes(IV, XII and parts of V/VII/VIII IIRC) with underleved parties, generally fights are boring or barely count as obstacles, the hard ones being because the bosses have cheap advantages, like in the final dungeons of FFV and VIII or possibly end-game marks/dungeons in XII

also played Tactics and briefly VI and X

IV at least was more honest, it seemed(didn't finish it, but I'm p. sure I got close to the end) to have a big, direct focus on and countering the bosses' cheap tactics, it even mostly forced you to do specific things at specific times to counter them(which is why it kept changing the party/characters) while pressuring you to stay healed and keep the damage steady, it also didn't do hours long bossfights

I didn't expect to have to post this in the codex of all places, I thought you guys were supposed to be uh... fastidious as fuck about combat in RPGs, and we're in 2012, FF series being not being good at the combat shouldn't be news to you either, so what the fuck? I know this is the weeaboo forum, but still

does this actually compare to the RPGs generally agreed to have the best combat?

Since the girl uses magic & summons and the favelados use guns & drugs, this could be an amazing setting where the magical users are rare and rule the masses with an iron fist, until they got fucking AK-47 and decided to rebel...
or it could just be retarded shit made by blind people/suits

nah, I'm being too negative, an amazing setting is more likely

Low key magic is cool and all, but as I said, deisgn them a bit more off-worldish, to make you feel like you are not in exact duplicate of some Brazilian shithole. Yes, it can be shithole, but a shithole not out exactly teleported out of Brazil.
Like the Midgar slums?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
FF8 easily had the worst combat in the series by a mile. (Admittedly I haven't even tried 13.) You can clear the entire game by spamming GFs, which renders you invincible, the only downside being that they have obnoxious, unskippable animations. Balance! Equipment is totally irrelevant, there's literally no reason to ever upgrade your weapons, and there are like 3 stats worth junctioning (And thats assuming you don't want to spam GFs, in which case you may as well not junction anything) and every character will junction the same spells to the same stats. Everything else is irrelevant.

10 had the best combat engine in the series by far. It used fine grain time units in a turn based system with a lot of variation in stats that actually had large impacts because of the way stats worked (like enemies that were too evasive for most character, etc.) along with some interesting status effects that were often viable. It was weighed down with a generally low difficulty and some easily abused mechanics (especially the Aeons, which are completely fucking overpowered if abused) but the basic core system was excellent, certainly better than the old ATB system, which had retarded results like using long spell animations to fuck turn orders based on battle speeds. Oh, and it made equipment relevant too, with actual reasons to switch equipment around and different characters equipping different things, at least until the post game. It's a pity everything outside of the combat was absolute shit tier even for an FF game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well I talked about Omega in FF 8. Do you even know Omega is in FF 8? It's particularly meaty, requires to split the party just to get at it, and if you don't have 9999 HP on each person who would fight, you are dead meat because it has first strike. And of course it has level scaling, thus it's much deadlier on level 99.

Wait you didn't even finished FF games and you are bitching about them?

Oriebam

Well I talked about Omega in FF 8. Do you even know Omega is in FF 8? It's particularly meaty, requires to split the party just to get at it, and if you don't have 9999 HP on each person who would fight, you are dead meat because it has first strike. And of course it has level scaling, thus it's much deadlier on level 99.
I assumed level 99 you meant as in some dungeon(you said "on" level 99 so you helped me make that mistake), which reminded me of the crystal in XII :M

just remembered the crystal map typing this, there aren't even levels, but regardless, it's another FF clusterfuck dungeon

anyway, you're telling me that's an example of a well done boss?
Wait you didn't even finished FF games and you are bitching about them?
what, do I have to play them 100% instead of 90% or 50% in order to be taken seriously?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom