Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LionHeart

Barenziah

Novice
Can you talk about Lionheart here. Than was there ever than character editor make for it like the one for Fallout, Baldur's Gates 2.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Barenziah said:
Can you talk about Lionheart here.
Awesome! Can you also make a thread about Daikatana? I want to talk about that game too!

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Lionheart was crap, sir, in case you didn't already know that.

obediah

Erudite
The first half was interesting enough as an action-adventure game. Not great, but good enough to make me pissed when it turned into a slogfest.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I've seen better; I've seen worse. Bottom line, LH is simply not that good.

Red Russian

Scholar
I must admit, I was wholly intrigued by the game and it's idea and setting. I bought it at first sight (cause I had cash on hand) headed home and played it. It really fun... for the first few minutes. Until I had to head into the sewers to do some stupid mission for the Inquisition. I hate sewers :( . And I also at that moment realised I hate Lionheart's combat system. It sucked. I was constantly feeling like I had to sloooooowly pick the enemies off one-by-one. Very tedious. If it wasn't for the combat it would have been a nice game IMHO.

Story and dialogue was nice if I recall. Was a looong time ago that I played the game. My older sister plays it now though. Sold it to her for a few smackers and bought me a chocolote! Kept her also happy.

On a side note: Maybe I just developed my character wrong. I'm not very fond of these Diablo-type-combat-systems where everything combat related is real-time. I like turn-based.

Anyhow... my 2 cents.... :D

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Red Russian said:
On a side note: Maybe I just developed my character wrong.
No, the game is really awful. Read our review for more details.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The sewers are what did me in as well. Before them, iw asnjoying myself quite nicely... the, the sewers came.. and came... and, came... and, came... And, I simply stopped playing...

Eclecticist

Liturgist
Yes, this is one hell of a shockingly designed game.

Steer clear lest your braincells be vanquished. In fact, I think sitting in this thread is making me lose a few.

Monolith

Prophet
Red Russian said:
Story and dialogue was nice if I recall. Was a looong time ago that I played the game. My older sister plays it now though. Sold it to her for a few smackers and bought me a chocolote! Kept her also happy.
Ha! You sold it to your sister? Now that's the type of commi I like! :lol:

I quit playing at the sewers as well, btw...

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
The sewers are what did me in as well. Before them, iw asnjoying myself quite nicely... the, the sewers came.. and came... and, came... and, came... And, I simply stopped playing...

I don't remember the Sewers, but for me the bottom line was that goddamn crypt. Lionheart was among the very few rpgs that I didn't finish...

Astromarine

Erudite
the most fun part of of Lionheart was the Ricochet Extreme demo that came with it. Reflexive can do a damn fine Arkanoid clone.

Red Russian

Scholar
Lionheart was among the very few rpgs that I didn't finish...

Well atleast you finished "most" compared to my few I finished. I bail out of most of them because their is some stupid and irritating element within the game that you have to deal with CONSTANTLY. Like in Lionheart's example it was the combat. In Morrowind it was the lack of any character in ANY of their NPCs. When I say character I mean like a personality like in Fallout or Baldur's Gate.

The only time I will finish a game that has an irritating gameplay element, is either when the story is really told well or their is some OTHER gameplay element that I really enjoy. Lionheart only had some good NPCs in some places, but that wasn't enough for me to stick around. Story didn't hook me at all. The only reason why I played it for more than 2 hours was because I could join the Inquisition and the setting sounded interresting. Full of possibilities.

Obviously, these "possibilities" were never fully exploited like you guys mentioned in your review about the items.

Red Russian

Scholar
Astromarine said:
the most fun part of of Lionheart was the Ricochet Extreme demo that came with it. Reflexive can do a damn fine Arkanoid clone.

OUCH!! Sounds really harsh, but true, I guess. LOL! :lol:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I only quit after Toulouse. The combat became completely unbearable for my diplomat-thief character. So, I exported my hero thinking that it'd be fun to restart the game and play a different faction. To my surprise I discovered that the game scaled opponents to my level! So there was no reasonable way for my char to finish the game...

bryce777

Erudite
Elwro said:
I only quit after Toulouse. The combat became completely unbearable for my diplomat-thief character. So, I exported my hero thinking that it'd be fun to restart the game and play a different faction. To my surprise I discovered that the game scaled opponents to my level! So there was no reasonable way for my char to finish the game...

Yeah, the awesome thing is the scaling is more unkind as time goes by and the opponets grow in number dramatically.

If they were fixed and somewhat balanced it would be an ok game, or even if the spells and skills were somewhat balanced.

As it stands the only way to really play is be either super melee character or lots of melee plus a little magic - the magic helps because the recharge of spells and of melee are independent. Not only can you be a wizzard lord fightar keeng but you can actually cast as you swing!

PayPal

Novice
Lionheart was great - don't know about an editor!

Maybe you're on the wrong forum. VD and his faithful followers haven't seen the sunlight for a few hundred years. They don't know how great this game is! You know, angry old men - disgusting!

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Yeah, then why was it pooped on by the mainstream as well? It received more poor reviews than not.

In fact, a lot of the positive reviews the game received were from sites who'd clearly not played the game past what obediah referred to as the game's "first half," making it out to be just like Baldur's Gate, when the game ends up going in some other funky direction.

PayPal

Novice
I don't care about previews or reviews. It's like PS:T, the first half is great, the other is crap. Considering the alternatives, it's a great game!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom