Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HAY GUYS THE NEW VERSION IS OUT

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Interesting, suddenly area transitions work smoothly and there's virtually no delay in using XP, all for some reason that I can't see. Kind of a moody game. I'm getting crashes in the Ancient area though, so I still can't complete that quest.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
great game, I truly love exploring the world. So far it seems to "like" my pc. I only had a handfull of bugs, mostly ones allready mentioned here.

When someone in my party gets killed it returns to the first town. The characters are naked and the inventory isn't avilable. I also get the ".... falls, all hope is lost" message from the dream introduction at the beginning.

During barter the game sometimes freezes up. This can often be remedied by alt-tab and saying ignore at the error message.

Some randomn crashed to the desktop. Probably a memory leak?

Frau Bishop

Erudite
CP said:
Frau Bishop said:
am very appreciative of the time and effort put in so far. I also understand that to expect suppport is just greedy, but it does seem a shame, after such a long wait, to be unable to play the game.
Much appreciated... I wish we had time to give more support. But we'll keep plugging away.
You little rascal.. the quote is not mine, it's from someone nicked "Harley".
My post was:
I played it for about two hours (it makes a good first impression so far) and had only one CTD, occuring when I turned the view. I stopped clicking but the view kept turning for a while, pretty fast - and suddenly the CTD saved me from barfing all over the keyboard.
But kidding aside.. thanks for releasing the free version! I'm still trying to figure out if I can play it with a good fun/crash-bug ratio in the long run.. but it's nice to have the chance to try the game out so far. It made a good first impression, has imo a good concept and I had fun with it so far. :)

Slylandro

Scholar
I don't want to spam the thread with bugs, but this one's pretty annoying and I can't find a way around it. Anyone else run into a crash whenever you try to bless the Novaculus? Is there any way to continue the game without blessing it? I tried to perform the blessing at several different temples including the main one at the Citadel but I always end up crashing...

Monolith

Prophet
Trash said:
During barter the game sometimes freezes up. This can often be remedied by alt-tab and saying ignore at the error message.
"Ignore" doesn't help - the game crashes at that point. But strangely enough only when I add an item the vendor possesses *after* adding an own one to the barter slots. Otherwise it seems to work (I found that out after some reloads. The game crashed always at the same point. Reloading and doing it otherwise worked).

Apart from that the game crashes when changing locations from a cave to another one (by leaving the cave or when one of the three starting NPCs dies). Not always, but frequently. Anyway, thanks to the autosave-function and short loading times it's...well, *just* a nuisance.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Slylandro said:
I don't want to spam the thread with bugs, but this one's pretty annoying and I can't find a way around it. Anyone else run into a crash whenever you try to bless the Novaculus? Is there any way to continue the game without blessing it? I tried to perform the blessing at several different temples including the main one at the Citadel but I always end up crashing...

Same thing happens in my game, which of course makes progress impossible since you need the Novaculus Sanguinus(sp?) to finish the game.

I've also run into a bug at the barrier with Telus the gem merchant, where after teaching you how to barter, his only dialogue options are something to the effect "no need to thank me", making it impossible to shop from him or complete the rebellion quest to get a component from him.

CP

Liturgist
Slylandro said:

This is has to be a bug with the event script. I remember reworking the event... I'm sure its an easy fix.

Monolith

Prophet
Heck, looks like I have to stop playing it. Apparently a recent crash seriously damaged my hard disk. The PC froze for no reason at all during a fight with the river dragons. I had to push the power button 'cause reset didn't react. While booting I got the message that windows/system got damaged. Rebooting with the WinXP-CD and scandisk helped, but from running some HD test tools I know that it's well, fucked up. Can't be repaired. PC freezes during every shutdown and scandisk takes an hour. Looks like I have to buy a new HD. PtD won't find it's way on that one, that's for sure. It's a great game, no doubt. But I can't risc the destruction of another HD.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
whoa. Never heard of anything like that before. I can not imagine what could have caused that. There is a fair amount of disk access, which might stress out an already stressed drive. Do you know if it was fragmented or near-full already? Any idea if there were any bad sectors before the crash? Although Prelude is fairly unstable currently I doubt that it alone could have been the cause.

obediah

Erudite
Monolith said:
Heck, looks like I have to stop playing it. Apparently a recent crash seriously damaged my hard disk. The PC froze for no reason at all during a fight with the river dragons. I had to push the power button 'cause reset didn't react. While booting I got the message that windows/system got damaged. Rebooting with the WinXP-CD and scandisk helped, but from running some HD test tools I know that it's well, fucked up. Can't be repaired. PC freezes during every shutdown and scandisk takes an hour. Looks like I have to buy a new HD. PoD won't find it's way on that one, that's for sure. It's a great game, no doubt. But I can't risc the destruction of another HD.

If your HD is really physically fucked. It's about 500000 brazillion times more likely that your HD dieing caused the crash and not vice versa.

galsiah

Erudite
Monolith said:
Apparently a recent crash seriously damaged my hard disk.
Nonsense... It's quite clear that the river dragons are the real culprits here:
The PC froze for no reason at all during a fight with the river dragons.
Seriously, obediah is right. What you're doing makes about as much sense as blaming one particular section of carpet for your worn out shoes, then swearing never to walk on that sort of carpet again. If the drive is old, then it's just old; if it's new, get a refund.

Slylandro

Scholar
Azael said:
Slylandro said:

Same thing happens in my game, which of course makes progress impossible since you need the Novaculus Sanguinus(sp?) to finish the game.

I've also run into a bug at the barrier with Telus the gem merchant, where after teaching you how to barter, his only dialogue options are something to the effect "no need to thank me", making it impossible to shop from him or complete the rebellion quest to get a component from him.

I also had that bug. Did you also get a bug where you crash in Ironwood after approaching certain buildings? It's sealed off an entire section of the town from me.

Monolith

Prophet
thathmew said:
whoa. Never heard of anything like that before. I can not imagine what could have caused that. There is a fair amount of disk access, which might stress out an already stressed drive. Do you know if it was fragmented or near-full already? Any idea if there were any bad sectors before the crash? Although Prelude is fairly unstable currently I doubt that it alone could have been the cause.

I'm sorry for my rather hasty reaction. I was a little pissed, that's all...

I bought the laptop about 1,5 years ago and and there is no physical damage that I know of. I haven't had problems of that sort ever - at least in that extent. Everything looks like the crash caused it. But as you think it's more or less impossible...then I guess you're right.

Anyway, here what happened and how it happened in a more detailed way:
I installed PtD about a couple of weeks ago. Crashes were recent but the PC never froze or anything. That was the time scandisk started to run on startup more frequently. Most of the time nothing was found - sometimes though some minor issues as some damaged files occured. Then came the crash I talked about - this was on Friday. The result was a damaged Windows\System32\Config\System . With my acer-recovery-CD I could boot though and scandisk solved the problem - for then. An HD tool found out that the HD is severly damaged and beyond repair. Since that the PC freezes on most shutdowns and wants to run scandisk on most startups. I kept on playing PtD, the HD is damaged anyway so I hoped to finish it before buying a new one (no money right now...). But hey, today that message telling me about a damaged Windows\System32\Config\System once again showed up - but this time even the recovery-CD couldn't force the system to boot. I cleansed the Windows partition and reinstalled Windows XP - and so far everything works fine.

Alright, now that you pointed out the thing with the fragmented and near-full HD - yes, it was both near-full *and* fragmented. Both partitions. I deleted some of the larger files and defragmented both partitions about the time I installed PtD - but there were no bad partitions as far as I know. But yes, this can have caused it. Well, here is another and perhaps more logic assumption as to what happened:

The HD indeed was somehow physically damaged - perhaps the laptop fell down or something (I have a younger sister who's rather careless about such precious things :roll: ). Some part of the HD got damaged - but it wasn't until now that the HD was almost full that scandisk found the damaged parts.

Anyway, I'm sorry for those hasty accusations. You know, the precious laptop, the emotions, the...bah, let's get back to PtD.

EDIT:
Holy shit, I wrote PoD instead of PtD everywhere. :oops: And I don't even like POD all that much... :roll:

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Slylandro said:
I also had that bug. Did you also get a bug where you crash in Ironwood after approaching certain buildings? It's sealed off an entire section of the town from me.

Not that I recall at least, although have a lot of random crashes for no apparent reason just about everywhere in the game.

CP

Liturgist
There is clearly a problem with random events and the bless dagger event. I am going to take a close look at that this weekend... it will definitely be fixed. My apologies... I made changes to improve the events, but it looks like all I did was decrease the stability. Must be very frustrating especially for the peole who get to the bless dagger event.

If anyone has other bugs... please create a separate thread and post there. If not, I will start a new one this weekend to address progress.

Thanks for your patience... we're still plugging away!

CP

CP

Liturgist
Azael said:

Simple script fix. Will work on this weekend.

Slylandro said:

Did you have Denomas in your party? Any buildings in particular?

Thanks.

CP

Bradylama

Arcane
Is it possible to get an older version of the game? This one is pretty much unplayable for me. I'm having trouble in the first town playing without crashing or freezing. Generally it seems to have something to do with event windows. I came across the body in the Lupine pit, for instance, and I ctd'ed. My first attempt at play I tried to save through the options menu and the computer froze when I clicked on the save button.

CP

Liturgist
Bradylama said:
Is it possible to get an older version of the game? This one is pretty much unplayable for me. I'm having trouble in the first town playing without crashing or freezing. Generally it seems to have something to do with event windows. I came across the body in the Lupine pit, for instance, and I ctd'ed. My first attempt at play I tried to save through the options menu and the computer froze when I clicked on the save button.

We still plan on making changes to the latest version to make it more stable, but that may not happen till the end of the summer. In the mean time, we are trying to dig up an old version to give people the option.

Thanks.

CP

SpookyFM

Novice
CP said:
We still plan on making changes to the latest version to make it more stable, but that may not happen till the end of the summer. In the mean time, we are trying to dig up an old version to give people the option.

You rock.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Okay i'm going to download this game since I last tried to play it 2 years ago or something. U JUST HAD TO NOT HAVE WIN2000 support zomg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom