Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Epic

Baltika9

Arcane
treave, if Dio ends up the winner of the chapter, can we shapeshift Anbar'Shi into a staff? I need to know, for stuff.

Kipeci

Arcane
I do find A somewhat more disagreeable than B, but if oscar is not willing to budge, I will gladly accept A to ensure that C is not undertaken.

oscar

Arcane
I'm not dead set on A either to be honest. I really don't have a clue on this decision but don't feel like destroying Ean.

Kipeci

Arcane
I thought that it would suit Dio more to make the royal family into his puppets with B rather than to eliminate them with violence and outright declare himself emperor as in A. We may as well take advantage of the existing power structure, rather than messily blow it apart and try to bring the pieces back together; we're certainly having problems enough in the empire without that, anyway.

C is the one where we attempt to destroy Ean.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not dead set on A either to be honest. I really don't have a clue on this decision but don't feel like destroying Ean.
Look, everything else aside, there's one thing that's being forgotten: Dio is known to flop when and how it suits him. Besides which, I really can;t see him being comfortable with feeding a god to "Volly's Sword of Mindfucking," when said sword can dominate/mindcrush him in an instant.

And if we factor in that this guardian is probably Sek, I'm sure we'll get the chance to betray Anbar'Shi.

P.S.: Fuck the Seljuks, Fatimids and Byzantines.

Kipeci

Arcane
Look, everything else aside, there's one thing that's being forgotten: Dio is known to flop when and how it suits him.

What flop of this magnitude can you think of? I saw your examples on the other page, and they were ones of 'backstabbing', not flopping. Backstabbing is only done where one benefit's one's self. It does not fit Dio's interests in any way to leave Ean alive, regardless of the other circumstances.

Besides which, I really can;t see him being comfortable with feeding a god to "Volly's Sword of Mindfucking," when said sword can dominate/mindcrush him in an instant.

This is a man who depended on his lover being raped and driven to suicide by his intentional plotting to begin his rise to power coupled with engineering the poisoning of his father figure. There's really not much that I'd leave him to be uncomfortable with after that. Furthermore, that's all the more reason for Diogenes to have no reason to head to Iceland at the moment; if his options are 'kill Ean and get soul devoured' or 'get killed by Ean', it's a bad idea to go in general. Though, I don't see why he'd need to kill Ean with the sword. For all we know, he could just fling it away into the ocean or somewhere in an icy cavern while he's there and just slit Ean's throat with a regular knife. This is why we should get as much as we can out of Anbar-Shi at the moment.

And if we factor in that this guardian is probably Sek, I'm sure we'll get the chance to betray Anbar'Shi.

How is the guardian 'probably Sekhenun'? Do you realize how much of your plan hinges on somehow coming across a revelation that causes Dio's personality to take a 180, for the sword to be denied, for the guardian to be a certain figure?

It seems that the tide is leaning toward C, but keep in mind; whenever we've taken the option to kill someone here, the character has done it. You forfeit any right to whinge about the results if your master plan to not get Ean killed by taking the option to get Ean killed results in Ean dying.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just caught back up with the chapter. I don't see this as a repeat of not going to Greece to defeat Marduk, and killing Ean with the sword makes me concerned. Through that, it might grow too powerful for Dio to control, which we don't want. Dio has already imposed some of his will on the sword, with time, and by denying it, I think he'll master it in the long-term.

For now I'm going to vote A, it's time we confront RK-47

A

Baltika9

Arcane
B is just a detour on the way to power, why rush it? savour it, savour it. consolidate your power. that way, even if we bring Ean back, he'd have to strike a deal regardless.

and who knows, I hear there's a man in ankida who knows a thing or two about sentient soul-devouring swords, I think he built bridges or something
You know, for a long while I suspected you of being treave's secret confidante. Today, I'm almost certain of it. You're trying to tell us the right way to play Dio, aren't you?

Baltika9

Arcane
B is just a detour on the way to power, why rush it? savour it, savour it. consolidate your power. that way, even if we bring Ean back, he'd have to strike a deal regardless.

and who knows, I hear there's a man in ankida who knows a thing or two about sentient soul-devouring swords, I think he built bridges or something
You know, for a long while I suspected you of being treave's secret confidante. Today, I'm almost certain of it. You're trying to tell us the right way to play Dio, aren't you?

I just assumed a certain someone is probably following our actions with interest and is very amused at them, and it might be...prudent to be properly girded before trotting off to new athens to call out sekhenun for beer drinking challenge

also we must keep in mind our ultimate goal here: dio, ean, they're all expendable. we need ean's experience and honor and integrity and dio's brutal cunning in a single entity. that is our ultimate goal, is it not?
Damn you...
Edit: of course, if you're just bullshitting us here, then we're screwed. But the possibilities...they are endless.

Esquilax

Arcane
Kipeci makes perfect sense and ignoring his extremely well put together post is going to be a recipe for disaster. Following the whims of the sword sounds like it could really fuck us in the ass. The sword is just waiting for the right moment to overcome us.

However, I must disagree with Smashing Axe and oscar. I think that taking the throne ourselves would be a terrible idea and lead to a lot of the Kingdoms that we still hold fracturing. Dio has become a much smarter power-player over the course of this chapter, much as Shulgi (who we believe is Fenrir) has: you don't need to be the one wearing the crown to be the one in control. And in this case, ruling from the shadows is far better in terms of stability:

Civil war has occurred amongst the kingdoms of the Empire 12 times in the past three thousand years when the Emperor was not able (either by virtue of being an infant, or by virtue of being dead) to solve any succession problems, though the Empire has always remained together through it all thanks to the uniting symbol of the Imperial family. Each of the kingdoms realize that they are far better off under the Empire's aegis than outside it - if only because any kingdom outside its aegis was liable to get subjugated by those smarter kingdoms making good use of the Empire's protection.

The Imperial family has been a 3,000 year old symbol of stability and prosperity, and I'm uncertain if Dio will be able to uphold the Kingdom on his own like this. Yes, confidence in the Imperial family now is low, but if we return to Ankida as a hero and destroy the undead plaguing Egypt, that will stabilize the remainder of the Empire and it will make everyone dependent on Dio.

Killing off the entire royal family risks further fracturing an Empire that is already very unstable. A stable Empire suits Dio's interests - he doesn't want the various Kingdoms being torn apart. As long as they're under the aegis of the Imperial family, he will rule by proxy.

Based on the excellent arguments made, I am flopping my original vote to B.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Certain someones are following Dio's actions with interest and not all of them are amused. Only some.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, time for me to vote as well, and keeping a tighter reign on the sword through any means possible seems like a brilliant idea. Better than letting it feed on Ean, certainly. I'll side with Esquilax here.

B

oscar

Arcane
Yeah flopped. I mainly supported A as I enjoy 4X empire-building.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, this new information certainly does give me more reasons to flop to B. However, I'll hold on to C for now. I've already wrote many(too many, perhaps) posts on why, so in conclusion I'll say this:
We're not playing in a vacuum and if we don't seize the opportunities we have now, later they may very well be gone.

Besides, my flop won't change much anyways and if we'll play the next chapter as Dio, well, I'm fine with that.

start making our own personal elite guard
Elite guard, eh? I'm still waiting on that confirm for making Anbar'Shi a staff, treave.
AhrimanandSquad.jpg

:yeah:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Where is the quest compass when you need one?

B. Soon Dio will hopefully realize that waking Ean is the best way to survive. Terasphagos, Concordia, Fenrir, Gieloths, Masters...

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
B, of course. Before deciding whether I want Dio to head to New Athens, I'd very much like to interrogate the Royal Family on their plans concerning Abnar'Shi, and on their general knowledge of the situation. Seeing as how they're a group of cunning bastards themselves, I do believe they weren't exactly keen on handing their power back to an awakened Ean. However I also believe they wanted to awake him nontheless. Perhaps, once their plans are revealed to us, all Dio will have to do will be replacing Runikylos as receipient of Ean's power and/or gratitude.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Just an idea, if Anbar-Shi ever gets impatient and hard to control, tell it about Fenrir. And can we communicate now with it? It could have more knowledge about everything than the imperial family.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B And can Dio regenerate his lost eye now?

Regarding Dio's strength while empowered by the sword, it is slightly less than Ean before he jumped into the Olympus rift, but still considerable. He will have gained all the powers that Ean had - telepathy, telekinesis, elemental manipulation, body manipulation, psionics, and improved regeneration. The only thing stopping him from matching or surpassing Ean is that he has not succumbed to the sword like Ban did.

Ean grew his hand back. I don't think growing eye back is any different. But it did take some time though.

Baltika9

Arcane
On second thought, if we let the Madman awaken Ean, maybe he'll inherit the former's squidfucking tendencies.

Carry on. :smug:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Chapter 7.23: Diogenes the Hero

"So, you have it."

Runikylos looked coolly at you, lounging back in his chair. His office had undergone some rearrangement since you left, taking on a decidedly more warlike tone.

"Hero of the Empire. Bearer of the Emperor's Will. Diogenes Camna." he sighs. "I expected Ban to return to me with the sword immediately, but now you have it. You are in a sublime position to undo all I aspire to."

You grin at the Crown Prince of the Shinar as his eyes drift to the cursed blade at your side. "Your mask is off, my prince." Runikylos, you knew now, was a practiced liar as accomplished as you yourself were. He would lie to your face with the most genial and affable of tones, and even with your strengthened telepathy you were barely able to tell when he was telling the truth.

"Hm, pardon me. It must have slipped." A twisted smile spreads across the prince's face, an expression you had never seen before.

"Now that it has come to this, what should we do now?"

"I could feed you to my new pet, Your Highness, if you want to see the fruits of Ban's labour."

"And what a labour it must have been! Remind me to thank him. Where have you kept him, by the way?"

"Somewhere safe, where he can recuperate in peace."

"You imply that he has enemies he needs to be hidden from."

"Everyone has enemies, my prince. Even you, even me."

"I know. It's a sad state of affairs, to be surrounded by people who wish to do you harm even if you only wish to do them good. Enemies... are a bad thing to have." the prince says slowly, as if offering you a glimpse of his thoughts.

"Why, a truer thing has never been said! When you are beset by your foes, what you need most are friends. Friends are a good thing to have, something one can never have enough of."

"And we are friends, are we not, Dio?" Again that grin appears on Runikylos's face.

You bare your teeth in a smile as twisted as his own. "Till the end of time... Your Majesty."

Becoming Runikylos's ally meant that you learnt plenty about the Imperial family's history. How they had begun serving a higher power a thousand years ago, who called itself Naram and claimed to be the god that had granted the First Emperor his divinity. How they had followed this god's instructions, to find the body of the First Emperor and to keep it in slumber. The recent troubles, however, had not been of this god's doing - not that he knew of, at any rate. The experiments on the First Emperor had been started without permission, and the god had put a stop to it when it came to his notice. This heartened you, for it showed that this alleged god was far from infallible. Indeed, the experiments had begun as a way for the Imperial family to overthrow the god, seeking a way to kill him. That he had not wiped out the Imperial family for their temerity also showed you that the god was not almighty.

When you asked if the god was in Ankida, Runikylos shook his head. He had a palace within the wastelands of Olympus, where no one ventured. Ten thousand labourers had been brought there to construct it, and then one by one walled into the pillars as a living sacrifice, and also to keep the existence of this palace a secret.

Of course, now that you were part of the Imperial family in all but name, said Runikylos slyly, he had no qualms about letting you know of it. It was something known to only a few even in the Imperial family, mainly the heads of the most important branch families, those who were closest to becoming the Emperor, and the Emperor himself.

In the beginning of the year 2998 A.C., two months after the Times of Turmoil had begun and the Hero of the Empire had returned from the Rus plains, Emperor Rennephilio XIV met an untimely death as a result of illness. Some gossipmongers spoke of poison, but most rumours told of his excessive sexual appetite bringing on countless incurable sicknesses. Crown Prince Runikylos ascended to the throne as Emperor Runikylos V, and decreed that there were to be no celebrations of his ascension, given the recent death of his father and the troubles currently plaguing his Empire. A small festival was thrown soon after, however, in honour of the Princess Kyriesca's engagement to the Hero of the Empire. Diogenes was treated as the embodiment of hope to the beleagured people, the one who would lead them into a better future - it was a view strongly encouraged by the Imperial family. This was, in most aspects, the same cult of personality that had sprang up around the would-be pretenders to the name of the First Emperor in other kingdoms, but here Diogenes had become worshipped for his own name, not Ean's.

A. Continue playing as Dio.

B. Play as Ean, after a timeskip.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom