Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Planetside 2

I hate to say this, but it needs to be said.

I should love this game. Like 9/10 love it. However due to constant and sever performance lag (even at lowest settings and with tweaks to make it lower) it's almost a slideshow in large battles which are the entire purposes of this being an MMO. Also I get crashes on average of once an hour that require me to restart the program.

It's only half as fun as it should be. Then again I have an old PC.

2 GB intel dual core processor
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 550 ti

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
With that CPU forget it tbh. This is what you need:

Core-i5-3570K-03.jpg

Isn't it shiny?

So shiny?

So much FPS

Precious

My Precious

I know that the weakest link in my PC is the processor and I think the best value upgrade would be an i5. I was actually saying the same thing to a friend in chat today.

However that along with new windows (I'm still on XP) and possibly a new motherboard (more than 4 years now) I think I'll wait a year and get a whole new PC instead of buying half a new one now just for Planetside 2. It's hard though since I can safely assume I'll be playing the game quite a while.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
You people still play this game?

Just yesterday NVIDIA released a new driver for my video card (GTX 550 Ti). I downloaded and installed it immediately.

My framerates are significantly better by what feels like 50%. Unfortunately I am also getting strange graphics clipping into and out of existence. The ground/floor, buildings, and sky randomly appear and disappear. As long as I see other players though I think it's worth it.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
huh? i make 100 certs an hour.

more importantly the speed of content aquisition has to be balanced vs their speed of content generation, otherwise everyone will complain that there is not enough content/i am bored/SOE sucks.

Destroid

Arcane

more importantly the speed of content aquisition has to be balanced vs their speed of content generation, otherwise everyone will complain that there is not enough content/i am bored/SOE sucks.

That's the kind of retardation F2P grind business models bring out in the player base.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

That's the kind of retardation F2P grind business models bring out in the player base.

not really, that kind of retardation was already there way before F2P; what with all the people on welfare playing 25/7/52 and then complaining that there ain't enough content

in PS2 you create the content

Okay I love this game.

I played 3 hours straight last night. Me and a group of family/friends (who've had a "guild" for a few years and play different MMO's) went around either in an armored column/galaxy dropping/liberator bombing and did some ridiculous work in base capture and such. I had more fun than I've had in a long time.

I see myself playing this not only for a long time, but very often.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Machine

Arbiter

I agree with you somewhat, I make 50 certs for 30ish min when I play, and I'm totally f2p player (not gonna go into reasons why I don't think game is worth spending money on currently). But lots of people ingame I spoke to feel like cert grind is too heavy, I guess it depends on expectations and feeling of "progression". I'd say random f2pers dont really make certs I do tho, I do liberator runs with friend exclusively, cause everything is scrubland compared to air tbh.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

I agree with you somewhat, I make 50 certs for 30ish min when I play, and I'm totally f2p player (not gonna go into reasons why I don't think game is worth spending money on currently). But lots of people ingame I spoke to feel like cert grind is too heavy, I guess it depends on expectations and feeling of "progression". I'd say random f2pers dont really make certs I do tho, I do liberator runs with friend exclusively, cause everything is scrubland compared to air tbh.

On the off. forums there are posts cert gain ain't heavy enough. And yeah, Libs are best way to farm certs currently.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Totalbiscuit is a bro, he has choosen well.

The other 2 are gays that I don't even recognize. Plus they're the most lame fags I've ever seen. Hamburger Helper and bioware teen lead writer seem like bosses in comparision.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
By the way guys: Unfortunately before I heard about the Codex Outfit on Mallory I already created a Character on the EU Server Woodman and spend SC from the Alpha Squad thing.
If any TR player ended up on Woodman as well and still needs an Outfit post your ingame nick (or PM it to me for privacy concerns) and I'll send you an invite. The Outfit is quite new and still small - 15 members at the moment - but we are having some fun times together :D

There's also a TS Server for easier communication since the in-game voice system seems to be f'ed up for some folks.
Outfit style is casual, so not one of those pseudo wannabe military thingies but rather some dudes and trannies having fun times.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I know that the weakest link in my PC is the processor and I think the best value upgrade would be an i5. I was actually saying the same thing to a friend in chat today.

However that along with new windows (I'm still on XP) and possibly a new motherboard (more than 4 years now) I think I'll wait a year and get a whole new PC instead of buying half a new one now just for Planetside 2. It's hard though since I can safely assume I'll be playing the game quite a while.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

I think all you really need is a new processor and OS, but I dunno man, if I were you I'd ask in their forums instead of here

I warn you that it's full of knowitall assholes who will often greatly exaggerate shit just to show how 1337 they(and necessarily their choices of gaming) are

there were a bunch of issues with 32 bit OSes btw maybe it's the main cause of your problem, not sure if they fixed it, in any case it's also limiting how much ram you can use

they also fucked up a bunch of shit in the latest patches, eventually they fixed it for me but maybe it is or was still fucked up for you

How well does this run on your average computer?

If you don't have a high end i5 or i7 don't even bother.
what the fuck is a high end i5? why are you recommending i7s, shouldn't it be obvious

weaker i5s can't run the game?

I'd like to point out that I started out with slideshow framerates in big battles. Unplayable. I put the graphics settings at their lowest and it doubled framerates. Severely disadvantaged. I tweaked the files myself using a guide and that cut it further in half. Playable, but much less enjoyable. I then specifically cut the draw distance in half through further tweaks and now there's very little lag in the biggest battles. I'm VERY happy.

I'd like to point out that the draw distance even at the lowest setting is way more than you would need to see even as a infiltrator with the long range rifle looking out over a flat open area. So it's no loss.

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom