Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview inXile's Torment successor officially announced on RPS, will use Monte Cook's Numenera setting

hiver

I dont see why the hell they wouldnt use Wasteland 2 turn based combat.
Preferably a bit improved based on feedback from W2 then adapted slightly to the new setting.
Hoping for those Baldurs gate - project Eternity fans?
Get 3 million based on making a Turn based game and then immediately go to RtwP for the next?

What kind of half assed logic is that?

Besides that, great to see so many original devs working on this.

And the setting doesnt sound half bad either. Complete with some kinds of gates or "portals" to places where different laws operate.. - which hopefully will be presented mechanically too, rather than just in flavor.

Numenera is set a billion years in the future. Civilizations have risen and fallen on Earth. Even though the current inhabitants live at about a Medieval level of technology, the leftover remnants of these advanced societies lie all around them. Some of these are extremely helpful: advanced tools, valuable means of communication and learning, transportation, defenses, and weapons. Others are dangerous: genetically altered monstrosities, flesh-warping radiation, creatures transplanted from distant stars, and clouds of out-of-control nanobots, just to name a few. This setting, called the Ninth World, provides all manner of opportunities and challenges to those that call it home.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Thank fucking God for ditching DnD ruleset- maybe playing a fighter will actually be fun this time around.

Rake

Arcane
Wasteland 2 was for "oldschool" fans as it was a sequel to wasteland and Fallout.It makes sense to have TB
Torment2 will be for Torment and BIS fans,and the ultimate storyfag game.And most of the IE fans don't think that RTwP=autoshit.
These 2 games haven't 100% the same target audience

Shadenuat

Arcane
Lived storyfag will die a storyfag :obviously:
But if this is what future of RPGs hold for me, then I'm okay with living just a bit longer

hiver

For Torment fans - yes. And all of US thought how that combat was bad or barely passable and wished for TB system.
Bis fans love Fallout and Torment more than their mothers.
Not IE or RtwP.

Dont fake me that cheaply, sonny boy.

Luckily they seem not to be decided on this. We need to help them think straight.

Also, i cant seem to sign up on formspring... for some weird reason. Anyone having problems with it?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Torment2 will be for Torment and BIS fans,and the ultimate storyfag game

Actually the ultimate storyfag game has turn based combat :smug:

Betrayal_at_Krondor.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm disappointed that the hack Monte Cook is involved in this in any way. The surface details of the setting aren't anything inspiring either.

Problem: Turn-based combat systems pretty much have to be complex, or they become boring and pointless.

If your game is going to have mostly simple, understated combat, real time is the way to go.
Fallout disproves this for many people itf. Deliver funny descriptions and animations and no one cares too much if it isn't hardcore as long as you don't have to deal with extraordinarily long battles.

hiver

The point is that they will already have a new working and tested TB system.

Why waste time and money to make rtwp?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout disproves this for many people itf. Deliver funny descriptions and animations and no one cares too much if it isn't hardcore as long as you don't have to deal with extraordinarily long battles.

Too true.

The point is that they will already have a new working and tested TB system.

Why waste time and money to make rtwp?

They'll just borrow Obsidian's implementation. :smug:

St. Toxic

Arcane
Start with an adventure game as a base and add combat that's more akin to puzzle-solving than strategizing. At least, that's probably what I would do for Torment. No filler combat, a few situational 'easy' engagements to prepare you for more important and difficult battles and a number of game-defining combat encounters. Have the option to avoid or engage in more combat and that's about it. As everyone keeps reiterating, it's a game primarily about branching storylines and world-exploration and combat seems to exist mainly because it's a viable problem-solving mechanic out of a story perspective, rather than the meat and potatoes of the 'Torment experience'. Though, who knows, maybe they'll turn it into a hack & slash.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What do you people care if it's TB or RT? The developers don't care about combat, it's going to suck either way.

Alex

Arcane
I know most people aren't overly fond of it, but I think fallout like combat could fit well in this kind of game. The thing about Fallout's combat is that there isn't much for you to do in it.The tactics you need to know are very simple. Sometimes it is better to use armor piercing ammo, and depending on your build you may prefer to use burst shots instead of aimed ones. But getting the necessary elements to win a combat (skills, weapons, armor, ammo) are potentially interesting. In fact, I think that with a bit more work, you could make fallout very strategic, and add interesting consequences to the player's choices and explorations in the form of what fights the player could win and what price he might need to pay for that.

I think combat like this would fall like a glove in an exploration heavy game like Planescape. I mean, it is awesome that you can learn those special spells from Ignus or with Dak'kon. But it would be interesting if those spells could mean the difference between having to let an NPC die or save him, between having to go along a more powerful enemy's plan or turning the tables on him. At the same time, the game wouldn't be too much about combat, but preparing for it and what you can achieve with it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I don't understand this "combat wasn't important in Torment so it doesn't matter what they do in this one" bullshit. Why the fuck would they even add combat then?
Exactly.
I wish that devs doing story-based cRPGs realize that combat might not be necessary and release one with none, except for action in dialogues like in Torment. Action and holding a gun would become drama instead of a tactical or button-mashing mini-game.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I know most people aren't overly fond of it, but I think fallout like combat could fit well in this kind of game. The thing about Fallout's combat is that there isn't much for you to do in it.The tactics you need to know are very simple. Sometimes it is better to use armor piercing ammo, and depending on your build you may prefer to use burst shots instead of aimed ones. But getting the necessary elements to win a combat (skills, weapons, armor, ammo) are potentially interesting. In fact, I think that with a bit more work, you could make fallout very strategic, and add interesting consequences to the player's choices and explorations in the form of what fights the player could win and what price he might need to pay for that.

I think combat like this would fall like a glove in an exploration heavy game like Planescape. I mean, it is awesome that you can learn those special spells from Ignus or with Dak'kon. But it would be interesting if those spells could mean the difference between having to let an NPC die or save him, between having to go along a more powerful enemy's plan or turning the tables on him. At the same time, the game wouldn't be too much about combat, but preparing for it and what you can achieve with it.

Fallouts combat was bearable because it had those beefy animations going on, the nice text descriptions how you just ended the childbearing days of some enemy of yours etc.
Strip those things away and you would end with very boring gameplay. I won't say that I didn't enjoy Fallout and its combat, but it is hardly something to strive for in a new game IMO.

Alex

Arcane
Fallouts combat was bearable because it had those beefy animations going on, the nice text descriptions how you just ended the childbearing days of some enemy of yours etc.
Strip those things away and you would end with very boring gameplay. I won't say that I didn't enjoy Fallout and its combat, but it is hardly something to strive for in a new game IMO.

Well, like I said, the combat itself may not be all that fun. But getting a power armor, and then seeing how effective it can be. Or rigging the fighting area with explosives and seeing an impossible fight become easy is. The game doesn't emphasize the execution of a plan, but coming up with a plan in first place. Of course, the system as it is needed some work. A lot of fights have nothing interesting about them. Good equipment is usually good for any situations. It is rare when you need to change your best damage weapon for something else. And while I have nothing against a skill being better than other, I really think the devs should have thought of ways to make some of the skills matter more in some situations. Like having unarmed allow you to capture an enemy instead of killing him, or having social situations where you wouldn't be able to sneak a weapon, but could use a makeshift weapons such as a chair or a pipe. Stuff like that could be fixed though, and I think the result could be a lot of fun, if a little more close to adventure games than tactics ones.

The Bishop

Cipher
I don't care about this game.

It doesn't have the AD&D ruleset.
It doesn't have the Planescape setting.
It probably won't be 2D.

And it is real time with pause.
And I rather care more about substance than form. Any rule set or setting is fine as long as it's capable of delivering that substance (and there is something to deliver of course).

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I think it is safe to assume that the game will be "2d", or rather, "top down view" as it is much more controlled environment. Creating a 3rd or 1st person view game that would be up to today's standards would be too much of an undertaking for such a relatively small studio.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it is safe to assume that the game will be "2d", or rather, top down as it is much more controlled environment. Creating a 3rd or 1st person view game that would be up to today's standards would be too much of an undertaking for such a relatively small studio.

Duh. That's not what we're talking about here. The question is if it will have 2D backgrounds.

zioburosky13

Educated
What can change the nature of this game? :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom