Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

So bros, now I installed it all, and wtf should I do with weapon proficiencies? They are all now made in BG2 style, and what kind of weapons should I use in BG1? If I put in katanas, will I suck for example, because as far as I can remember, there is not a single katana in BG1?!

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
So bros, now I installed it all, and wtf should I do with weapon proficiencies? They are all now made in BG2 style, and what kind of weapons should I use in BG1? If I put in katanas, will I suck for example, because as far as I can remember, there is not a single katana in BG1?!

The Exotic Item Pack component of BG2 Tweaks adds exotic weapons like Katanas to BG1, but I remember it somewhat negated what the Hard Times mod did, since nearly all the +1 weapons I found in the first half of the game were of the exotic/oriental kind.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Should it? I know that running BG Config first is recommended just to get all the fields into the ini, but I think the "install last" was an anti-annoyance thing since putting it before a ton of mods that have to be re-installed every time you wanted to change resolution.

I've installed it first every time and just move it to the bottom of the weidu.log when I want to change res.
It has compatibility issues with some graphical mods if they are installed after it (particularly the 1pp mod).

Antignition

Novice
For the (2) people that still play Vanilla Baldur's Gate 1:

The fixpack options aren't as cut & dry as baldur's gate 2. Looks like you have a few options:

BG1 Fixpack by plainab http://sasha-altherin.webs.com/baldursgatefixpack.htm (thread http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=9019&st=210)
Baldurdash
Dudleyville

I know Dudleyville isn't purist friendly, as he implements some questionable fixes, so that's out. Baldurdash is fine but basic, and plainab's fixpack includes all of Baldurdash with some of Dudley's tweaks and some other stuff.

What do you guys prefer to use?

waywardOne

Arcane
I'd go more defensive: biggest shield you can carry, mace, and darts. No more than 1* in mace as a last resort, and the rest of the * in darts. Even with the fighter mixed in, you're better off sitting pretty and tossing darts (3.5 apr with 2*) in between spells.

Antignition

Novice
While I'm talking about fixpacks...Which parts of the BG2 fixpack do you guys recommend? Specifically I'm wondering if the BETA Core Fixes are relatively stable, and I'd like some second opinions on the optional but cool components.

waywardOne

Arcane
The 'beta' isn't so much about stability but appropriateness, i.e. is it actually a fix (= dev intent) or is it more subjective. Here's mine:

~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1000 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update -> GTU Light (by Wisp): v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!): v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings, Dwarves, and Gnomes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in Wrath Hell Trial: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes: v9.01
~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun: v9.01

Antignition

Novice
Wow, alright, getting ready for the BG2 portion of my playthrough and I've noticed that the 1PP mod has about 8x the components as the previous version. GUI changes, spell graphic/icon changes, spell EFFECT changes, the works, in addition to even more paperdoll changes.

Anyone have any comments on all this new shit? Not everything erephine does is great, it seems, the attachable wings component is dumb and the color-able quarterstaffs thing always struck me as unnecessary.

---

New version of the BG2 Fixpack at G3 is right around the corner.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, alright, getting ready for the BG2 portion of my playthrough and I've noticed that the 1PP mod has about 8x the components as the previous version. GUI changes, spell graphic/icon changes, spell EFFECT changes, the works, in addition to even more paperdoll changes.

Anyone have any comments on all this new shit? Not everything erephine does is great, it seems, the attachable wings component is dumb and the color-able quarterstaffs thing always struck me as unnecessary.
Most of the stuff looks much better than the vanilla game. I never saw the wings, but the new item graphics were pretty good, as were the paper dolls. The new spell effects were fine, except cloud spells tended to cause some slowdown in 3d accelerated mode.

Anyway, it's a good mod. I personally prefer the GUI it provides to the tutugui mod, but ymmv.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, I haven't seen the wings either but all the other stuff looks better than vanilla. It's a mix of BG1 item sprites (which were vastly better than BG2's) and utilizing IWD and PST graphics and animations in certain places plus some entirely new work.

Antignition

Novice
Well the wings probably look fine from a design standpoint. I just find the idea itself not to my liking. I've never actually seen it in game since I never install the component. Same with the quarterstaff bit.

Still, sounds like it's worth it to give most of the stuff a shot. Looks like even the paperdolls have had some massive changes done this update.

Honestly I wish she would just release a one component mod that makes it behave exactly like BGEE did. Say what you want about Overhaul, I think they made the right choice in choosing what parts of 1PP to take and what to avoid.

Antignition

Novice
I had looked over the readme prior. Thats how I figured out what all the extra stuff the mod changed was, but I still want second opinions on the stuff. For instance, the GUI mod looked fine to me until I actually tried it in game. Not sure if it was nostalgia or what but while the new font was a bit easier to read I didn't like the change in style. Plus it had a few errors in certain windows.

If people who have actually played around with the new components gave their 2 cents on what works and what doesn't, saves me from having to install something that looks good on paper but is either buggy or not fully fleshed out in the readme.

waywardOne

Arcane
You're on the right path. I install only paperdolls, flaming swords (not the short version), and shields. That's more than enough to cover up the ugly introduced by BG2. The rest is unnecessary.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I'm installing NPC project because it has been recommended about 13243243 times in this thread and it asked me about 10 times for different romance addons during installation. I said yes to all.

God help my sinful soul.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think the wings is for modders that want to use them as required for their mods (not sure thou).

Rpgsaurus Rex

First time playing BG1, and SCS is rape-tastic.

The only annoying thing is the XP discrepancy and the lacklustre scroll selection. A horde of kobolds is far more dangerous Ankheg, but gives much less XP... Or that Basilisk controller mage that gave 1/4 less XP than his Basilisk pet. Can't find basic Monster Summoning spells, while mage opponents are already casting Improved Invisibility.

Otherwise the challenge is nice, even though it feels like too much at times.

The writing for most BG1 NPCs makes me appreciate BG2 more, I guess it says something. NPC1 project banter is appropriately lulzy though, now that I have Edwin + Dynaheir + Minsc in party, Edwin even poisoned Dynaheir for realz (CHECKMATE!)

Rpgsaurus Rex

I was curious what people's thoughts on the Rogue Rebalancing mod: link, readme near top right corner and the monk HLA changes that are part of G3 oversight mod: link.

The monk one seems like HUGE incline, I've always wondered why my high level monk was so weak compared to Balthazar.

I don't know anything about rogues, I still haven't figured out how to backstab people and never used traps. :oops:

I won't hesitate to install somewhat imbalancing mods now, it seems no matter how strong I'll become SCS will continue to rape me.

uaciaut

Augur
Non dual-multi class rogues are weak as hell and there's literally no incentive whatsoever to run one as your main character. I think this bring them a bit up to par though multi/dual class would still be better probably simply because that's how the mechanics work. I'm more interested in bards finally being a non-shitty class though again thief/mage classes are still probably superiod in terms of pure casting since you eventually reach level 9 spells anyway and you don't need that much investment into thieving skills anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom