Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Kirtai

Augur
Which font are you guys referring to? The arrow stacks font? Isn't that the default font from the original game?
Doesn't it look like they just took the original bitmat font and magnified it? I'd've thought they'd use a scalable font for a scalable gui.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
That patch list is promising, at least Overhaul are trying. The game is getting nearer to the point where I can say the Enhanced Edition is really worth buying. The game is no longer forced to scale to your resolution if you make an INI tweak, the mod scene is improving and many good mods are now compatible with the Enhanced Edition, you can get a much better GUI to replace the crappy one, most of the bugs have been fixed to the point where it's likely very close to the original game now, etc. The new content still isn't much good, and it's still $20 more expensive than the original, but...

... Okay, when I put it that way it still sounds like a poor deal, but at least now it's not laughably crash-prone and broken.
Why do you want so badly to like BGEE?

Unless BGEE is a success we won't get Torment EE and BG3 :kingcomrade:

Antignition

Novice
What did they do to Haste?

Haste no longer gives extra attacks pe round.

Not a big deal, to quote a guy on their forums:

bengoshi Posts: 169
January 16
Of course, you can't play without a haste spell, can you?) It's surely a game-breaking bug, isn't it?)

I just caught up on the latest patch thread in the news section of the game's forum. I've forced myself to refrain from participating in any discussion in that shitheap but I just came really close to breaking it after reading that guy's comments. There really is no point in debating with those people at all though, it's a lost cause. They sure do love their hypocrisy and straw man arguments though.

After waiting a month for this patch, I've resorted to playing Vanilla BG. This patch actually made things for me WORSE as they fucked up ranged thaco calculations (how do you do this?) and none of the problems I was experiencing were touched at all. I don't hate the EE to the same degree as most here seem to; I like certain changes they've made to the game over BGT and Tutu, and it satisfies the purist in me more than those mods did (I haven't played too much of the new content but it seems relatively fine so far and in balance with the rest of the game) but they have and continue to do such sloppy work in regards to support and fixing their mistakes it boggles the mind.

I'm sure eventually things will be ironed out (they seem to at least have heart, if no talent) and once they do it'll be my BG version of choice but considering they'll need probably half a year to get it that way is insane. The fact that despite all this most of the people on their forum are personally fellating Overhaul for SUCH A JOB WELL DONE isn't helping matters at all either.

I've never seen myopia to the degree I have seen it on that forum. I guess I deserve it though, seeing as how I still go there and read the threads...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I can't wait for the Annah centerfolds for pre-orders.

Kirtai

Augur
I can't wait for the Annah centerfolds for pre-orders.
What about enhanced jiggly sprites? New romanceable Dabu companions? A BDSM session with the Lady of Pain?

What's the most horrible thing they could do to a PS:T EE?

Murk

Arcane
Something magic-stealing like giving his name or trying to explain what his past crime was.

Or, all at once. The Named One DLC: Follow the newly remembered Named One's adventures in the blood war as he realizes why he had resorted to committing a horrible crime -- he was unloved. Discover that not regret but love can change the nature of a man as you take your pick of all companions and 3 new ones that are entirely romancable.

Modron on Immortal action.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What about enhanced jiggly sprites? New romanceable Dabu companions? A BDSM session with the Lady of Pain?

"Streamline" the dialog.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TrentOster Posts: 183
8:44PM
This is through Atari, and I'm saddened to say we have not been able to reach an agreement around Steam keys yet. We're trying. Royalty-wise, Steam is making way more than we are per copy, so it is a bit bittersweet.

-Trent
And how many royalties do the original developers make from each copy sold Trent?
:hmmm:

Kirtai

Augur
Some truly ghastly suggestions so far but I feel it would be even worse than we could imagine.

And how many royalties do the original developers make from each copy sold Trent?
Or the modders whos work they incorporated.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just had to finally register to post this from the desperate reddit lot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/16psmx/if_you_buy_it_on_steam_for_convenience_sake/

Oh god this shit is hilarious. Atari just mouthfucked Trent.

:kfc:

So you mean if I buy it on Steam, I don't even have to support these useless developers who can't even 'enhance' a game properly without completely breaking it? The best they can do is add 3 fanfic characters. So buying it on Steam COULD reduce the chances of them being able to a Baldur's Gate II or even III? This is just great! Thanks Atari and Steam!

:troll:

Scummy thing for the publisher to do, but I have to say much of the blame still falls on Beamdog. Nobody wants another digital distribution platform that has no reason to exist, and the first thing the community wants from a new game is that it either runs standalone with unobtrusive/no DRM or runs on Steam. If you're worried about Steam taking a cut, go standalone. If you want to compete with Steam, BG:EE sure as hell isn't the blockbuster to launch your service out of obscurity. I seriously doubt that Atari wanted the game to be a Beamdog exclusive in the first place, and forcing the issue led to them getting screwed. It's not that Beamdog is all that obtrusive, it's just that the inevitable Steam version is now poorly supported and cuts out the developers.

My guess is that Baldur's Gate 3 was intended to be the flagship that Beamdog would ride on, but in reality they have only crippled their own development studio by saddling it with their DD platform. The cold, hard truth is that Steam takes a big cut because their service is worth it, and nobody wants a second copy. Origin is the closest thing to a competitor they have, and I've never seen a product so universally unwanted.

:salute:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I just had to finally register to post this from the desperate reddit lot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/16psmx/if_you_buy_it_on_steam_for_convenience_sake/

Oh god this shit is hilarious. Atari just mouthfucked Trent.

TL;DR Atari and Steam get most of the money, Overhaul loses out, Refunds from Beamdog to buy on Steam are deadly, and don't expect same day updates like on Beamdog. If you choose to buy it on Steam please also consider buying it on Beamdog to support the developers! Potentially cutting the amount of money the developers get is going to be detrimental to the possibility of another Baldur's Gate game.

It wasn't until I read that last sentence that I realised the author thinks that Beamdog losing big amounts of money is a bad thing instead of something to be happy about. Oh god I'm not used to the mindset of people from other forums anymore :lol:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Great job, Atari.:greatjob:

But I'm not sure this means BGII:EE is shelved. I think it just means it will release on Steam from the start.

Kitako

Arcane
I feel good and warm inside reading these last pages.
I'll be sure to sacrifice an extra kid tonight in the name of Gaben.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Which font are you guys referring to? The arrow stacks font? Isn't that the default font from the original game?

Yes it is, but it's not a TTF font as the others used, it's raster so it looks like crap when magnified and out of place compared with the rest of the fonts on that screen. It was just fine before, in the original size, but I guess they magnified it for tablet/android/whatever crap and they don't give a fuck anymore how it looks on PC.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Now come on folks, why should the talented developers at Beamdog bother with such insignificant details as knowing how fonts work... Their heart is in the right place!

:lol:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Base the changes on the novel?

EDIT: Or wait, better one. They add a sex scene between TNO and Annah, and then later release a DLC where you play as their offspring, The Nameless Ann, who's trying to redeem her father.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom