Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The uniqueness of character builds

Lumpy

Arcane
One thing I disliked about Fallout was that you couldn't really create character builds such as a pure science character or a pure diplomatic character. There were lots of places where you had to fight, or run away, while the latter feels really artificial and unfulfilling. And the diplomatic character had lots of quests which could be done in a purely diplomatic way, but playing a pure science character in either Fallout was impossible, since science skills were very rarely useful (this was changed in Van Buren, apparently).
In AoD, can you play the game from start to finish without ever getting into a combat, nor fleeing from one? If you're a diplomatic character, you could persuade bandits to leave you alone, or if you're a merchant, you could travel with caravans or hire mercenaries to avoid fighting yourself. Also, do a reasonable amount of quests remain available for non-combat characters?
Lastly, how long are the guilds? If you're an assassin, can you have a complete experience by doing only the assassination quests given by the guild, plus the side ones?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
In AoD, can you play the game from start to finish without ever getting into a combat, nor fleeing from one?
Yes.

Also, do a reasonable amount of quests remain available for non-combat characters?
Every quest has both combat and non-combat resolutions. You pick what you like.

Lastly, how long are the guilds? If you're an assassin, can you have a complete experience by doing only the assassination quests given by the guild, plus the side ones?
Not sure I understand the question, but I think the answer is no. It's not a sandbox game, and the focus is on the main quest. There are some guild quests, of course, but it won't be a "complete experience".

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
In AoD, can you play the game from start to finish without ever getting into a combat, nor fleeing from one?
Yes.
Great. But why? Are there no attack-on-sight bandits, or is there some way to avoid them - caravans, mercenaries?

Vault Dweller said:
Also, do a reasonable amount of quests remain available for non-combat characters?
So I guess there won't be any kill the bandits/wolves/wannamingos in cave X filler quests? Well, this is probably good news.

Vault Dweller said:
Not sure I understand the question, but I think the answer is no. It's not a sandbox game, and the focus is on the main quest. There are some guild quests, of course, but it won't be a "complete experience".
All right.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
Great. But why? Are there no attack-on-sight bandits, or is there some way to avoid them - caravans, mercenaries?
Bandits want your money, not your life. Even if things turn ugly, they won't finish you off (such a situation even opens up a quest). Besides, there are ways to avoid it, but not what you mentioned.

So I guess there won't be any kill the bandits/wolves/wannamingos in cave X filler quests? Well, this is probably good news.
There are some "deal with bandits" quests, but there are different ways to handle them.
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... &start=250
See the 3rd post from the bottom.

Drain

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Does this mean that there are no pure non-combat quests?

Is AI finished already? Can you give some examples of combat AI behavior? Will a group of enemies try to surround an opponent(are there any penalties for fighting with multiple opponents? Dodging penalties to attacks from the back?)? Will opponents try to shoot you from the back of the battle if they can't get to you(e.g. when fighting in a narrow hall)? Will they use potions and nets?
Is there any team behavior? For example, will melee NPC characters rush mindlessly into the battle even though their ranged combat oriented comrades will be chopped into pieces?
Will NPCs try to get to less protected/injured, but more dangerous enemies? Do injured enemies retreat/flee from the battle?

Will NPCs pick up stuff from the ground? Can they steal from the PC?
Is it possible to barter with non-merchant NPCs like in Fallout?
Is skill increase system similar to PtD? I.e. skills increase by solving quests and using skills.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Drain said:
Does this mean that there are no pure non-combat quests?
Just like there are ways to turn a seemingly pure combat quest into a non-combat one, there are ways to do the opposite. It's hard to explain in a few words, that's how quests are designed and linked.

Is AI finished already? Will a group of enemies try to surround an opponent(are there any penalties for fighting with multiple opponents? Dodging penalties to attacks from the back?)? Will opponents try to shoot you from the back of the battle if they can't get to you(e.g. when fighting in a narrow hall)? Will they use potions and nets?
Yes. Yes. No. No. Yes. Yes, absolutely.

Is there any team behavior? For example, will melee NPC characters rush mindlessly into the battle even though their ranged combat oriented comrades will be chopped into pieces?
Chopped by whom? There is no party.

Will NPCs try to get to less protected/injured, but more dangerous enemies? Do injured enemies retreat/flee from the battle?
Again, there is no party, so you are always the center of attention. Feel the love. Sometimes. They can also start a conversation and surrender.

Will NPCs pick up stuff from the ground? Can they steal from the PC?
Is it possible to barter with non-merchant NPCs like in Fallout?
Yes, at the moment. Not at the moment. With some people, not with everyone.

Is skill increase system similar to PtD? I.e. skills increase by solving quests and using skills.
Not by using. Quests and battles only.

Jora

Arcane
Drain said:
Can they steal from the PC?
Vault Dweller said:
Not at the moment

There could situations similar to those of PS:T where some stranger asks for directions and a perceptive player character can notice his stealing attempt and even grab his hand if the dexterity check allows it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Indeed, but what about not so perceptive characters? The sanctity of one's inventory is very important to every adventurer. I believe it's an area that realism should touch very gently if at all. I hated those damn kids in Fallout 2.

Jora

Arcane
IIRC the PS:T thieves didn't steal much. I think players would be ready to sacrifice some coins for a more interactive gaming experience. Or maybe they could notice the missing money afterwards and kick the thief's ass until he gives it all back + some extra?

edit: The kids were annoying because they took anything, unnoticed, and the event is non-interactive.

Jora

Arcane
Maybe the thief doesn't have the courage to steal from big, brutish characters? Or from people associated with certain groups?

edit: No, that's a stupid idea. What would be the point of having thieves then? Thieves and arm-catching should be a perk for perceptive, intelligent (understanding the theft afterwards) and dexterous players, to reward them for their choice and to make the world feel alive. If the thief's behaviour is passive, there's no point in the encounter.

Drain

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Chopped by whom? There is no party.
Are there any combat situations where two conflicting groups of NPCs are involved?
Edit: Hmmm, why would enemies try to surround the PC, if there are no penalties?
Yes. Yes. No. No. Yes. Yes, absolutely
Great!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's dandy if they have some and are good at using them, but I figure not every fighter has that option. I don't think i would make alot of sense, either.
It's more believeable that enemies with effective missile weapons use those first and switch to melee if out of missiles or enganged in melee.
Besides, a surrounded player can't run away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom