Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Afterfall gets a new engine

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Afterfall

Kolos, one of the makers of one of the countless Polish vapo... I mean, indie post-apocalyptic cRPGs, <a href=http://afterfall.pl/index/en/>Afterfall</a> (previously known as Bourgeoisie), has sent me this press release:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
Unigine Corp., creators of a high-quality graphics engine &#8211; Unigine, and Intoxicate Interactive have signed a license agreement for the engine. The agreement is so favorable for Intoxicate Interactive that the young developers do not have to pay any fees up front and can focus on making their game. Unigine developers emphasize the need for cooperation with both young and innovative development groups as well as providing middleware solutions to large established companies. The decision of Unigine Corp. was influenced by the professional quality of work at Intoxicate Interactive that has just completed the pre-production of its first game &#8211; Afterfall. The Unigine engine shall be used to develop both a demo version of Afterfall and the final product.
<br>
<br>
The Unigine engine has powerful 3D render, integrated physics, GUI, built-in scripting system, sound module (all of this is available both under Linux and MS Windows), and supports most of modern technologies like background data streaming, soft shadows, HDR and much more. Unigine improves the appeal of the Afterfall, making it indistinguishable from large-scale commercial projects both with regard to graphics and physics.
<br>
<br>
&#8220;Acquiring Unigine has enabled us to drastically improve the pace of our work on Afterfall. However, we are still looking for additional funds and growth opportunities. Please visit Afterfall Marketing, where you can learn more on our initiative&#8221; said Andrzej Koloska, founder of Intoxicate Interactive.
<br>
<br>
&#8220;All of us were amazed of what Afterfall team have already created on the basis of Unigine, these guys surpassed our expectations about capabilities of our own engine. We do believe in Afterfall team because they managed to go so far in the development of their project without any financing. That&#8217;s why we have supported them by providing Unigine technologies for free at the period while they have no publisher or any kind of investor. I&#8217;m sure that this going to be a great game if someone will support this talented team&#8221; commented Denis Shergin, CEO of Unigine Corp.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
I didn't bother to read the whole PR crap, but some of you might want to.

sheek

Arbiter
bryce777 said:
I'm sure they're right on track if they are switching engines several years in....

What do you mean? I haven't followed the whole history of this project

sheek

Arbiter
bryce777 said:
They have been doing this game for several years now and don't even have an engine!

Wow. I see why you'd call that vaporware then.

sheek

Arbiter
Afterfall and Unigine Corp. combine forces

We have supported young Polish team by providing Unigine technologies for free while they have no publisher or any kind of investor. They are making postapocalyptic RPG named Afterfall in the spirit of legendary Fallout series, take a look at Unigine-based screenshots. Right now this talented team has completed preproduction stage and is looking for an investor. Read more in the official press-release.

[...]

Afterfall is a computer game set in Central Europe destroyed in the course of a nuclear war. It is a postapocalyptic computer role-playing game (cRPG) that introduces you into a story of a search for identity. You are going to become the protagonist of a tale about the rebuilding of the lost order. Afterfall is going to be a "For Gamers By Gamers" project in the spirit of legendary Fallout series.

http://www.unigine.com/press-releases/060616-afterfall/

Afterfall Marketing

If you are interested in supporting the Afterfall project, below is the bank account number you can transfer money to. All contributions will be used to produce the demo and speed up the development of the project.

70 1050 1328 1000 0023 0496 6308
SWIFT CODE: ING BPL PW
Andrzej Koloska
ul. Piaskowa 26/8
47-420 Kuźnia Raciborska

http://afterfall.pl/index/en/228

What the fuck? They're asking for donations?

Oh, and:

People interested in buying banner space on our site or advertising their brand in an innovative way, promoting it in a computer game that is going to be released worldwide in two language versions (English and Polish) – do not hesistate, contact us now! We offer you the possibility to buy advertising space within the game itself.

This is the list of items that are going to be used as product placement items:

* Lighter
* Stationary tool kits
* Flashlight
* Batteries
* Clothing items (jackets, t-shirts, trousers, underwear, blouses, caps, hats, etc.)
* Leather jackets
* Shoddy backpack
* All kinds of alcohol
[snip]

Who are these jokers? :?

kolos

Novice
Firstly, that's not an engine change at all. We have written about that previously in an interview for NMA - to create a demo we need the Source version of Unigine, which is quite expensive.

As for engine changes, please notice that they are introduced to fit the development of the project, and remember we would not change anything, if that wasn't really beneficial. The choice of Unigine gives us around 8-9 months more time to focus on the game itself. This engine is finalised and complete, we have used the Evaluation version before, which is good to make some presentations - and we actually used it that way. Now we have a complete demo in the works, and we want to finish it.

As for project funding - do you know how much time does it take to create next gen objects? There's a handful of people able to do that in Poland, we need the money to pay them for their skills. As for sound and coding - no problems on that front. Sheek - product placement can give us the chance to get the money we need to create the demo.

We have been designing the game for over a year now (not for several years, as someone has written before) with absolutely no funding - totally for free. Please, don't confuse us with other projects.

Afterfall gets a new engine
Topic is wrong - we have Source of Unigine, not new engine!

sheek

Arbiter
Product placement and a donations jar does not look professional, that's my opinion. I don't know how things are in Poland but I've never seen those methods in a game development before, people will take loans or wait until they have the investment for their budget before announcing it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I hate to share the DOOMY feeling and all since I would love to see this project succeed, but the idea of spending a lot of time using an engine you were going to need the source code for at a later date which costs money you guys don't have isn't a good sign. It's also not a good sign when you're talking about needing more money on top of that because you want assets to be "next gen" as well. It's probably better to do the best with what you can afford, get something out, and see how that works out on the first game and then shoot a little higher later on. This game is going to be fairly niche anyway, so a smaller budget is better if you're wanting to see returns.

Silencer

Novice
bryce777 said:
They have been doing this game for several years now and don't even have an engine!

Bethesda's been making Fallout 3 for two years now and even though I've seen Oblivion engine, I've yet to see Fallout 3 surfacing, how about that?

Also, they've been working on this engine already, and you can see that on the trailers - but it was an evaluation version. They will need its source code to optimize and customize it. And that involves purchasing a full license.

Ausir

Arcane
Bethesda has hardly been working on FO3 for 2 years - they've started to develop it only recently. The fact that they bought the license 2 years ago doesn't mean they started making it then.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Product placement is actually quite okay when it's appropriate. That is, if the setting of the game is based on near-future or present-day events -- then product placement is actually CRUCIAL for creating the correct atmosphere.

JUst make sure you don't tweak the setting design just to accomodate for more ads...

Silencer

Novice
Ausir said:
Bethesda has hardly been working on FO3 for 2 years - they've started to develop it only recently. The fact that they bought the license 2 years ago doesn't mean they started making it then.

I see sarcasm is lost on you ;)

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I can't understand why anyone would slam this game. They are doing the best they can to do what they can how they want to do it. This is a game I want to see made.

As long as they don't sell out and go RT this game is one of the few games being made that will be a real rpg and that will appeal to graphic whores.

I agree with SP that a focus away from graphics and a resource poor into game play and great TB combat would have been better than a split, but I'll take what I can get.

If you bitches don't like it, get FO3 or Hellgate and leave the good games alone.

Attacking small dev companies is about as retarded as sucking on the dicks of the big dev companies.

Anyways, its good to see a fancy engine maker support a small dev team. I'd like to see more of this and more support for the small dev teams in general. This is the only way I see to affect change in the gaming industry (especially rpgs) away from crap like Oblivian and whatever other big selling popular mainstream bullshit you bitches lap-up like scientologist cultists.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The screenshots look pretty cool. My internal graphics whore is satisfied.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Ausir's calling the game vaporware just because it's a promising Polish post-apoc game translated into English (and into readable English at that, as bryce pointed out, what is quite a feat as far as projects from this part of Europe are concerned) without him on the team, har har har.

Drain

Scholar
http://afterfall.pl/index/en/44
You have just read words heralding an upcoming revolution. If you get to see the dawn tomorrow, it will prove that you have been worthy of reading this, and will visit your local shop to reach for the box with the title “Afterfall” printed in blazing letters when the time is due. See you there…
And I thought that Cdprojekt is pretentious...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom