Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Kirtai

Augur
Damn, this means I no longer own all the D&D games on GOG.

Must... resist....

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Infinitron: I'm embellishing the truth slightly. I actually bought it from Direct2Drive way back when (one of two games I bought from D2D), but rest assured that had there been physical media, I would have thrown it in the trash.

Even if I were to retrieve my D2D transaction details, I believe they changed ownership recently and I only own the base game, so it's better to go ahead and buy from GOG.

Surely you must mean amazing writing, not gameplay.

Yeah, that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, I wonder if this means they'll have more Obsidian games on GOG.
Isn't this more because Atari is going down the shitter and have nothing to lose anymore?
It says Obsidian Entertainment/Hasbro Inc on the game page so it seems that Atari have been cut out entirely.
Interesting.

It says the same for all of the other D&D games on GOG and has for quite a while now, actually.

Kirtai

Augur
I wonder if they'll ever get the Gold Box games. Stranger things have happened.

GaffQ

Learned
Bioware was only the developer on Baldur's Gate, whereas SSI usually developed as well as published the Gold Box games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, guess I'll be buying NWN2 from GOG, then, and not GamersGate as I had planned.

I registered at GamersGate, but there were 3 things I didn't like about them:
1. You can't pay directly with VISA. So I had to go through PayPal. Just a minor inconvenience, but still it means less options.
2. While they sell many DRM free games, some are needlessly tied to Steam. I checked out Thief 2, and for some reason this 10 year old game has to be activated on Steam. Why can't GamersGate sell it DRM free when GOG can? And why do they lead their customers to Steam this way? If you have to sign up to Steam to activate/play a game, you may as well buy the game at Steam!
3. When you download a game you only download the installer, not the complete game. Clicking the installer downloads and installs the game, and then deletes the temporary files. There are ways to preserve the temp files, but it's still annoying.

Still, GG has some worthy DRM free games that GOG doesn't have, like the old X-Com games (which I bought), S.T.A.L.K.E.R and the Paradox games.

Sorry if this was an off topic rant.

Kirtai

Augur
This weekend is 60% off Rebellion Strategy & More

Empire Earth: Gold Edition
Empire Earth 2 Gold Edition
Empire Earth 3
Evil Genius
Lords of the Realm: Royal Edition
Lords of the Realm 3
Lords of Magic: Special Edition
Ground Control + Expansion
Ground Control 2: Operation Exodus SE
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
Pinball Gold Pack
Sniper Elite: Berlin 1945

Hmm, is there a way I can add a Codex affiliate tag (or whatever) to these things when I post them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kirtai Add this to the end of whatever GOG url you post: ?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Eyeball

Arcane
I quite liked Dredd vs Death and even wrote a favourable review for it for another site, but to be frank the gameplay gets stale fairly quickly due to the overabundance of zombies and vampires abou halfway through the game. It's just not as much fun shooting a trillion zombies in the face as it is to kneecap a rosy-cheeked youth and sentence him to ten years hard labour for smoking in public.

Kirtai

Augur
Today is inXile's The Bards Tale, along with the three original DOS games for $9.99

Edit: Seems it might be the Apple II versions of the original three.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Today is inXile's The Bards Tale, along with the three original DOS games for $9.99

I think only the Apple had it all its versions being bug free. Both the C64, Amiga and DOS versions had problems with bugs in one or more of the games. Especially the Amiga and DOS versions of BT3 suffered.The DOS version of BT3 was recently fixed with an unofficial patch, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I think only the Apple had it all its versions being bug free. Both the C64, Amiga and DOS versions had problems with bugs in one or more of the games. Especially the Amiga and DOS versions of BT3 suffered.The DOS version of BT3 was recently fixed with an unofficial patch, though.

We had a thread about this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-trilogy-re-release.69468/page-3#post-2317307

But MMXI never answered my question. :x

octavius

Arcane
Patron

We had a thread about this: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-trilogy-re-release.69468/page-3#post-2317307

Unless I've misunderstood what was the question:
According to someone on GOG 1 and 2 are the Apple II/gs version, while 3 is the regular Apple version. I have no experience with Apple machines, but apparantly that is why the BT3 version of the collection is so ugly. Ironicially the Amiga version of BT3 is also uglier (and buggier) than Amiga version of 1 and 2.

MMXI

Arcane
Sorry about that. I've been away from this site for a few months now, busy with real life crap. I only check any alerts I receive. I'll make a proper return some day soon (hopefully).

Regarding The Bard's Tale, I still think the best versions to play through (if you want to import through the whole series) are the DOS versions with the fixed Bard's Tale III files. Even if an Apple IIGS version of the third game had been released it would have suffered from all the same glitches as the other 16 bit versions. Other options would be the Apple IIGS versions of 1 and 2 and then the fixed DOS version of 3. Alternatively you could play through the whole series using the Apple II or C64 versions, though even they are broken too (and have shit graphics).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom