Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #23: Gameplay Video!

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Is it really that bad for NPCs to be information kiosks? Abstracting word-for-word dialog exchanges using keywords is a fair trade-off. Also in a game with a party full of anonymous characters you've created from scratch it doesn't feel incongruent.

EG

Nullified
Fallout 3 and Dragon Age: The reason why we can't have nice dialog options.:retarded:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're playing a party of Desert Rangers - post-apocalyptic cops. A keyword system puts the emphasis in the dialogue on investigation and interrogation, which is a perfect fit.

Anyway, PE and T:ToN will have dialogue trees, so don't wet your beds.

hiver

Im talking about what is in the game. Watch the video again.
Let me try!
What youre gonna try? :lol:

You can try to bash every door in the game.
So what? If you dont have enough strength or if the door is too strong or impenetrable, you wont make it.
Youll be forced to use other skills.

You won't succeed every time,
You wont succeed any time the pop up shows - impossible, dumbass. Any time your rangers do not have enough strength to do it.
Any time the devs decide that particular door wont be available for bashing.

but you won't run out of leg. Leg is not a limited resource.
WoW! My mind is blown! BLOWN I SAY!

You might not be able to try to explode every door in the game, because there are probably not as many explosives as doors. Explosives are a limited resource.
WOW! INCREDIBLE! :lol: Who would have thunk it? eh?

The different methods will have different results on different doors, and may or may not work.
:bravo:

That doesn't make them limited resources.
Why... i never! Are you SURE? :retarded:

What if rangers keep breaking their legs on the hard doors? HUH????

:lol:

This seems like the prototypical case of "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you?"
No, this is reverse of that - It is you who cannot understand what i said several times already, it is you who cannot understand what the video is showing - due to your idiotic arrogance.

And it is also insulting me (again) by just stupidly and arrogantly assuming i am not capable of understanding that legs and kicks are not limited resources.
Because that makes you feel good. You are that idiotic.

And i didnt even force you to go into this. You did it all by yourself.
I guess you got inspired by that marvelous ingenious assertion that bashing is not a limited resource the genius infinitron discovered!?

:lol:

Anyone else wanna try? Anyone who manages to make hiver understand this pretty basic concept gets $5.

OR8i1.jpg

Oh wow....

It doesnt fucking matter if bashing is not limited resource. Of course it isnt! It -edit- (its success) is limited by mechanics you fucking imbecile.

Captain Shrek

You're playing a party of Desert Rangers - post-apocalyptic cops. A keyword system puts the emphasis in the dialogue on investigation and interrogation, which is a perfect fit.

This is the shittiest argument to support Keywords LARPer.

hiver

What is it infinitron? What are you incapable to understand now?

Is the fact that you can try to bash the doors as many times as you like - but that you wont succeed - so fucking difficult?
Why the fuck are you laughing ?

I mean, i know why. Youre trying to pose as smartarse despite being completely stupid about this.
but i would like to see something more than empty posing.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The thing about this keyword argument - I really don't care if they go for keywords, dialogue trees, or anything else. It's not to going to make or break the game for me either way. What marginal amount of extra enjoyment I may gain from using another system if meaningless to me if the keywords save them development time and money that they can use to make W2 better in other areas.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Actually, I'm not a big believer in the "keywords allow TRUE ROLEPLAYING" LARPing argument. I interpret keywords as the player character basically taking a neutral, investigative (and therefore not very interesting) tone. It's a narrative technique - analogous to the "silent protagonist" trope found in certain first person shooter games.

EG

Nullified

Actually, I'm not a big believer in the "keywords allow TRUE ROLEPLAYING" LARPing argument. I interpret keywords as the player character basically taking a neutral, investigative (and therefore not very interesting) tone. It's a narrative technique - analogous to the "silent protagonist" trope found in certain first person shooter games.

Yes, our return to the Good Old Days, flush with RPGs, will be brought about by the staple of the Half-Life series: A silent, mute, invalid protagonist.

But I do agree, if they want to cast a utilitarian tone (if not an unintentionally low-int tone), this is the way to do it.

Captain Shrek

Prima:

Actually, I'm not a big believer in the "keywords allow TRUE ROLEPLAYING" LARPing argument.

Secunda ===> I interpret keywords as the player character basically taking a neutral, investigative (and therefore not very interesting) tone. It's a narrative technique - analogous to the "silent protagonist" trope found in certain first person shooter game.

Non sequitur.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am really happy with what I am seeing, which is rare with games these days.

I must've had a sixth sense for picking the right kickstarter to really commit to.

Runciter

Augur
It's not a huge stretch to believe that it's possible to make a keyword-based dialogue system right. But bros, you can't ignore the shit implementation presented in this video. "Help", as in "We've come to help!" or "What do you need help with?" or "Shut your mouth bitch and get to the point or we won't help you" or "We will need help to combat these plants" or "Help is a dish best served freeze dried" or "Yes, yes, we will speak about that in a minute. Nice skirt you've got there, darling"? A single word is not enough to convey the meaning of what you want to say. But if you don't know what you will say when you pick a keyword, it means the dialogue system is shit. There, now do you understand?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
If you were sent on a quest to go there a few minutes prior, I think it's pretty damn obvious what "help" means. If the keywords are an abstraction for the party speaking, the tone isn't necessary.

Dorateen

Arcane
I would rather drop the keyword list altogether, and require the player to think what to input into the parser. That they are allowing additional keyboard entry is a good thing.

Gozma

Arcane
The intent behind the keywords won't matter in the game, because the game is going to run on, "Shut up, it's an oldschool RPG" logic. Oldschool like Wasteland or Gold Box, not oldschool like Fallout. Like the point of talking to someone when you show up at a location is to get the quests for that location, not to establish who the PC or decide how you want the world to be. There will be decisions but it won't be about decisions.

I'd be happy if there were some typed-in keyword-based Agatha Christie mystery quests or something, but that would be extremely tedious for the whole game. My reaction to playing through some of the best text IF games has been, "Man, look how good something can be and still irritate and bore the shit out of me just from the basic interface mechanics and conventions."

Quigs

Magister
What's the hivemind's thoughts on preordering this? Is it acceptable to wait until the game comes out to buy it? I'm on the fence here.

I was too young to figure Wasteland 1 out, but I did have it, thanks to an amazing Interplay CD. (Played the shit out of Castle and Star Trek.)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the hivemind's thoughts on preordering this? Is it acceptable to wait until the game comes out to buy it? I'm on the fence here.

I'm pretty sure all but a small handful of Codexians pledged to the Kickstarter if that's what you're asking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom