Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PtD Bugs and technical difficulties

Jora

Arcane
CP said that bugs should have their own thread, so here it is.

Problems I have encountered so far:

*Parts of buildings disappearing. Mostly the bridges in Lands End and the Citadel.

*Constant crashing that has become somewhat less constant but is still a big problem. Reloading causes this often. At the moment I'm completely unable to enter the Dark Path. When I click the cave entrance the screen turns grey, an error message appears asking whether I want to report the problem to Microsoft and then I'm kicked back to desktop.

*Allocating skill points takes forever. Turning the confirmation message off does help a little.

The gameworld, characters, quests, and role-playing options are wonderfully designed, however. :D

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I've run into suprisingly few technical problems compared to others. All I've gotten is the rare crash to desktop, and sometimes the game will do a hard lock up when I load a save game. Oh, and sometimes when I'm trading the game will lock up. Only when it's with a certain item, though. Gonna have to go back and look.

Other than that, it's smooth aside from gameplay issues like messed up dialogues etc.

Jora

Arcane
One thing I could also mention is that when traveling from the Citadel to the Dark Path, the party always meets the House Char rebel warriors even if it hadn't even received the quest. I accidentally persuaded them to go home but had no idea what was going on.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What's the point of posting about bugs if nobody is going to fix them? AFAIK the game has been abandoned, right?
In it's current state it is way too buggy to be playable at least for me. Crashes, serious graphics errors etc.

Jora

Arcane
copx said:
What's the point of posting about bugs if nobody is going to fix them? AFAIK the game has been abandoned, right?
It was just recently released as freeware with new content and a developer (CP) said that they're fixing problems.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Yep, this is the bug thread. I've even emailed CP about it so he knows where to look to fix things in future updates.

drunkpriest

Scholar
I guess thats what I mean, there is no bug thread, offically, I want to play it, yet I am unable.

Jora

Arcane
These two bugs were mentioned in other threads:

I've just completed the Rebellion IV quest by bringin back Broemas's family and settling the mayor of Land's End's debt, but I can't report back to Bargilof. Whenever I talk to him, he says "welcome to the glades, my friend". Even when he's in his house at night. I tried everything from waiting days to traveling to the citadel and back to talking to him in the Glades, but nothing works. I think his script is stuck in 'Glades mode'. Is there anything I can do about this? This effectively breaks the game.
I talked to the Goddess and now my journal suggest that I seek out either the Monastery or the high priest. Since I can't walk the dark path without crashing the game, I traveled to the temple in the Citadel. None of the priests there (Actaia, priestess or Fastoflex) have anything to say to me, however. I have done the two temple quests and elected House Leit to lead the Council.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Got another one. I started a new game and did the jactus thing, found him dead and followed the footprints back to the house. But, I couldn't talk to anyone and when I tried to save the game and exit, it locked up on me and I had to cut the process.

CP

Liturgist
Jora said:
One thing I could also mention is that when traveling from the Citadel to the Dark Path, the party always meets the House Char rebel warriors even if it hadn't even received the quest. I accidentally persuaded them to go home but had no idea what was going on.

Thanks... that's not tough to fix.

Any luck getting through the dark path yet? You mentioned elsewhere that you were having troubles with that.

Thanks.

CP

Slylandro

Scholar
I think the biggest bug that needs fixing is the Novaculus bug. Can't get anyone to bless it without the game crashing. Other bugs can probably wait.

Jora

Arcane
CP said:
Any luck getting through the dark path yet?
No, I have tried to enter the cavern every now and then but I'm never able to. I might try to do it with a new party if I have time.

Aldin

Novice
Great game so far! I only recently came across it here and I'm having a blast with it.

I have an intermittent CTD that is somehow related to the barter process. Sometimes, not always, when I try to move an item from the available item box to the barter box it crashes the game. This has only happened with defensive items (shield, gloves), but I've been mostly shopping defensive items. It has happened in the first town with both the blacksmith and the woodworker.

I'm running an Athlon 3000+ with a Gig of RAM and a Radeon 9200. The OS is XP SP2. When it crashes there is an 'Abort/Retry/Ignore' box that comes up (which I can only see sometimes though it is always there). Would it be useful for me to click 'retry' and record debugging info?

~Aldin

Aldin

Novice
Naturally I have since been unable to replicate the error. I am beginning to strongly suspect it had something to do with a conflict with some lingering memory usage by a program my wife had been running earlier in the day.

~Aldin

SpookyFM

Novice
:( This is extremely frustrating: I'm in the Citadel but I can't go on playing because the game crashes everytime I try to load a savegame. As soon as I hit load I get the grey screen and the "report to Microsoft" window, except for the most recent savegame which lets me play for about 15 seconds and then does the same thing...
I really like the game but now I can't continue... Is there any chance of a patch or something like that anytime soon?

CP

Liturgist
SpookyFM said:
:( This is extremely frustrating: I'm in the Citadel but I can't go on playing because the game crashes everytime I try to load a savegame. As soon as I hit load I get the grey screen and the "report to Microsoft" window, except for the most recent savegame which lets me play for about 15 seconds and then does the same thing...
I really like the game but now I can't continue... Is there any chance of a patch or something like that anytime soon?

From Mat:

"Never heard of anything like this at all. My only thought is to try
re-installing the game. He can send a savegame to me at my yahoo email
and I'll try to take a look and see if I can see the culprit...
Sometimes I can edit memory and repair a savegame."

Just private message him and he'll shoot you his email address.

Thanks.

CP

SpookyFM

Novice
Hm, tried re-installing already. Well, thanks for the advice, I'll contact him. Good to know you're still after it. :)
Thanks a lot for the game anyway, bug-ridden as it may be. ;)

Quitch

Novice
Fired up this game for the first time today, using whatever version was released for free. If there has since been a patch, I don't have it. Can see no way to check my version number, and the download on the site in Downloads is broken.

Anyway, the mouse is playing up. It's like fighting my way through treacle, then suddenly the mouse will leap a couple of feet before returning to treacle mode. Often it doesn't register clicks.

I wasn't able to get into the game itself because trying to simply move the mouse through the menu system was nigh on impossible.

I'm using a Logitech G5 with the latest drivers. Anyone run into this issue?

Milecolt

Novice
The abandoned hut outside Kellan doesn't have a door. Am I missing anything?

Radish

Novice
Jora said:
I've just completed the Rebellion IV quest by bringin back Broemas's family and settling the mayor of Land's End's debt, but I can't report back to Bargilof. Whenever I talk to him, he says "welcome to the glades, my friend". Even when he's in his house at night. I tried everything from waiting days to traveling to the citadel and back to talking to him in the Glades, but nothing works. I think his script is stuck in 'Glades mode'. Is there anything I can do about this? This effectively breaks the game.
According to my understanding of the dialog file, this happens if you use the Watcher's name too much. And it doesn't break the game.

CP

Liturgist
Radish said:
According to my understanding of the dialog file, this happens if you use the Watcher's name too much. And it doesn't break the game.

Yup. No one in the Rebellion network will trust the party if they know you are an agent of the Watcher's. If you drop the Watcher's name, all Rebellion quests will be cut off.

CP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom