Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

US: “Six Strikes” Anti-Piracy Scheme Starts Monday

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
The much-discussed U.S. six strikes anti-piracy scheme is expected to go live on Monday. The start date hasn’t been announced officially by the CCI but a source close to the scheme confirmed the plans. During the coming months millions of BitTorrent users will be actively monitored by copyright holders. After repeated warnings, Internet subscribers risk a heavy reduction in download speeds and temporary browsing restrictions.

During the summer of 2011 the MPAA and RIAA teamed up with five major Internet providers in the United States, announcing their a plan to warn and “punish” BitTorrent pirates.

The parties launched the Center for Copyright Information (CCI) and agreed on a system through which Internet account holders will be warned if their connections are used to commit copyright infringement. After five or six warnings ISPs may then take a variety of repressive measures.

Initially the first ISPs were expected to send out the first “copyright alerts” by the end of 2011, but for reasons unknown this deadline silently passed, as did the revised July 2012 and the December 2012 start dates.

But it appears that the wait is over now.

TorrentFreak learned from a source close to CCI that the system is currently scheduled to launch early next week, and we’re not the only ones. Another sign of the start of the program is that a few days ago the CCI launched their new website. This is where recipients of the copyright alerts will be directed to.

The website explains how the copyright alert system works and lists places where people can download and stream music and movies legally. It also lists details about the appeals process for people who want to dispute one of the warnings.

Unfortunately the new website does not give an overview of the punishments or mitigation measures that Internet subscribers will be subjected to.

We previously learned that AT&T will block users’ access to some of the most frequently visited websites on the Internet, until they complete a copyright course. Verizon will slow down the connection speeds of repeated pirates, and Time Warner Cable will temporarily interrupt people’s ability to browse the Internet.

It’s expected that the two remaining providers, Cablevison and Comcast, will take similar measures. None of the ISPs will permanently disconnect repeat infringers as part of the plan.

Of course, there are plenty of ways for people to prevent being monitored by copyright holders. BitTorrent proxies and VPN services are the most likely option here. These services replace a user’s home IP-address with one provided by the proxy service, making it impossible for tracking companies to identify who is doing the file-sharing.

Also, those who download through Usenet, cyberlockers or other non-P2P services can not be monitored by the copyright alert system at all.

These circumvention options are not news to the copyright holders and the ISPs. CCI Executive Director Jill Lesser previously said that the main purpose of the alerts is to educate the public, and that hardcore pirates are not the target of the system.

TorrentFreak asked the CCI if it had any idea how many alerts would be sent out in the first few months of the scheme, but the organization didn’t want to make any predictions. We will find out more in the weeks to come. The same is true for the backdoor lawsuit option that was baked into the plan.

http://torrentfreak.com/six-strikes-anti-piracy-scheme-starts-monday-130223/

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I almost feel bad for those people, doomed to a futile struggle against cultural and technological progress.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Everyone will just move on to using VPNs (in fact TPB already uses it... but the client is quite ad-ridden due to the need to survive) and good luck catching anyone then.

I simply can't imagine anyone sitting there deciphering those pesky packets.

and that hardcore pirates are not the target of the system.

So they will arrest grandmas again?

Also I like the sound of "hardcore pirate"

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Pirates are the reason why Steam was invented. It proved that convenience will trump the concept of free shit every time. The Hollywood Jews better learn that they need to compete with the market instead of trying to dominate it, or else Piracy will still continue to be an issue for them.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
even with this "alert" system in place, only computer newbs will be affected. little billy, 13, sued for 100000 billion dollars. same stories will continue.

Repressed Homosexual
Just a little while ago, someone at the office I'm in, a secretary who knows nothing about technology, told me she and her husband are using a VPN to get access to US Netflix. And this is far from being the first casual person talking to me about this.

VPNs are already getting a lot more mainstream, and this will only accelerate that trend. Good luck identifying and proving who was using that common VPN IP at that time among hundreds or thousands of people, especially when the provider doesn't keep any logs.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
even with this "alert" system in place, only computer newbs will be affected. little billy, 13, sued for 100000 billion dollars. same stories will continue.
Little Billy, 13, probably knows more about computers than the people monitoring the traffic and is taking the fall for his granny.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Comcast, Time Warner Cable, AT&T, Cablevision and Verizon.

I'm safe. Too bad most of these companies have monopolies in their areas. Actually, that's probably the only reason they agreed to this deal.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

I'm safe. Too bad most of these companies have monopolies in their areas. Actually, that's probably the only reason they agreed to this deal.

This is something I don't entirely understand about the Kwan telecommunications industry. I live in the center of Potato, and I have at least 5 internet providers available to me, both nation-wide corporations and local cable companies. So how does a company hold a monopoly in an area in regards to services like these? Do they actually own the physical infrastructure and refuse to lease it to anyone else?

Raapys

Arcane

Won't other companies just come in and steal all the customers after this is implemented?

Repressed Homosexual

This is something I don't entirely understand about the Kwan telecommunications industry. I live in the center of Potato, and I have at least 5 internet providers available to me, both nation-wide corporations and local cable companies. So how does a company hold a monopoly in an area in regards to services like these? Do they actually own the physical infrastructure and refuse to lease it to anyone else?

That's exactly it.

Most governments force the owners of the infrastructure to lease it to smaller companies so as to create competition, but the US doesn't force them to.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Won't other companies just come in and steal all the customers after this is implemented?

As HHR points out, it's impossible for other companies to offer a competing service in an area if the monopolist owns the physical infrastructure. And since Kwans apparently enjoy taking it up the ass from their corporate oligarchy, this will probably not change.

On an unrelated note, Humanity has risen!, why have you changed your avatar? The previous one was awesome, but now you're just using the likeness of a conservative politician, like most right-wingers on the Internet seem to do. You should really switch back.

betamin

Learned

Cablevision in here Argentina has been putting a cap on torrents since forever (me included for the short time I had them), they had trouble with the government because of privacy issues but I don't know if this is feasible for them but the laws have so many holes I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way.

We got Speedy here also who let's me dl torrents at 4 times the speed of Fibertel (Cablevision) so no worries. Also fuck Clarin.

Multi-headed Cow

Also, those who download through Usenet, cyberlockers or other non-P2P services can not be monitored by the copyright alert system at all.

Safe! Haven't torrented in years anyway. Did recently try a VPN for shits and giggles (BolehVPN) but I wasn't satisfied with it. Generally had to try to connect like 5 times before it'd finally take, and even my pokey 5 megabit connection was slowed noticeably through even their faster servers. I'll probably just keep using my skeezy filehosts and crappy free Usenet account for the 99% of downloading I do (TV shows), though I have kicked around the idea of paying for an Easynews account. And a seedbox would be spiffy but they seem kinda pricey.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

I use a local provider which uses the TP line (one of the biggest internet providers in Poland), recently they were shifting to a higher speed... for like 5 months because TP was a gigantic-missive-dick and was doing everything to obstruct them. But as CM said, there is the law and there finally came a moment where they had to back off.

I can only imagine what is going on in the USA when the government is run by the corporations.

Gregz

Arcane
I can only imagine what is going on in the USA when the government is run by the corporations.

IR9jaop.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pirates are the reason why Steam was invented. It proved that convenience will trump the concept of free shit every time. The Hollywood Jews better learn that they need to compete with the market instead of trying to dominate it, or else Piracy will still continue to be an issue for them.

So fucking much THIS.

When someone invents a Steam for movies this whole fucking problem goes away as much as it ever will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom