Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PS4 launch titles

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And really who cares 'cause GAMEPLAY.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Ugliest futuristic city. Boxes, boxes everywhere

Yes, because this is obviously very important to look at. I didn't remember [insert your favorite developer] to get bashed for having subpar graphics.

Personally, I think the Killzone demo looks absolutely impressive. Problem is, "impressive" only lasts so long. "Interesting" is what I really care about, and for that I can condone low-poly boxes very much.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Yep, and the pc crowd will need 6x times the pc power to run shitty ports, so don't try to play ps4 games without two gtx titans 6gb 8 core i7 and 32gb ram :M

hahaah this

enjoy upgrading a shitload of hardware to play poorly optimized console ports pc fags

They're using AMD "Jaguar" Cores mang. That's a laptop CPU.

Questions?

deuxhero

Arcane
Ugliest futuristic city. Boxes, boxes everywhere

Yes, because this is obviously very important to look at. I didn't remember [insert your favorite developer] to get bashed for having subpar graphics.

Personally, I think the Killzone demo looks absolutely impressive. Problem is, "impressive" only lasts so long. "Interesting" is what I really care about, and for that I can condone low-poly boxes very much.

I don't. It couldn't even manage to maintain 30FPS.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Yep, and the pc crowd will need 6x times the pc power to run shitty ports, so don't try to play ps4 games without two gtx titans 6gb 8 core i7 and 32gb ram :M

hahaah this

enjoy upgrading a shitload of hardware to play poorly optimized console ports pc fags

They're using AMD "Jaguar" Cores mang. That's a laptop CPU.

Questions?

its still being 100 percent opimized for a specific hardware set that you dont have

ur fucked bro

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've read a lot of specs analysis the past few days and pretty much all of it can be sorted into two camps:

1) "Har har, this thing will be ancient the day it comes out compared to PC. The RAM is pretty good but the system will use up half of it on non-game applications and the rest will double as system memory and video memory. The rest of the system is shit. Don't worry about it."

2) "HOLY SHIT THAT'S GDRAM THIS THING IS BALLS TO THE WALL BROS GIVE UP YOUR PCS NOW IT'S OVER!"

As a layman I have no idea which is accurate really but I tend to go with #1 simply because #2 sounds like every PC is dead horror story article ever ran when new consoles are coming. They all end up looking stupid a year later.

Borelli

Arcane
Ugh launching a new console events are when gamers fall into their basest urges and start fapping over graphics, and publishers know that so all info on new games is strictly graphics, no gameplay at all, no sir we don't want to scare them away.
It's like a full moon curse but instead of a monster you get turned into a graphicwhore.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Specs are solid, but nothing particularly impressive.

Graphics chip is decent but 1.84 TFlops is barely above Radeon 7850 - a midrange GPU released in 2012.
While you won't find 8Gb of GDDR5 in your PC in foreseeable future current desktop CPUs are just not fast enough to really take advantage of bandwidth it offers (not to mention higher latency).
Though, most likely, CPU will be the weakest link. Jaguar architecture is aimed at mobile markets and is designed mainly with low power consumption rather than performance in mind.

However, that doesn't mean that barebones PS4 ports will run well by default, as API is different.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
With each new generation, the power of imagination and the connection games had with books is severed a little more.

We should start a pool on first "is PC tasteful gaming dead?" article.
Fixed for truth. And yes.
Each new console generation only serves to further the whole industry's decline into brainless cinematics and emotional engagements. Of that which is worth playing these days, all I see is vapourware and beta-stage releases full of both promise and fail. And that occasional unexpected gem that makes it is never something that needs a dedicated platform.
So yeah, for most intents and purposes that matter, gaming is dead. What's left can be called "gaming" no more than rap can be called "music".
I won't be upgrading my 5 y/o PC with gaming in mind again, that's for sure.

MCA
Bethesda is made up of autistic morons so they could never do that kind of game. Their games are practically devoid of any emotional connection on a character level. Bioware, on the other hand, is full of emotionally arrested oversensitive crybabies and that's why they make the kind of games they do.

A user named cat

Consoles are only good for arcade racing games and a few needle in the shitstack RPGs (usually strategy-based). So I'm partially interested in Drive Club, looks like a better version of Test Drive and it's made by the dudes from the awesome Motorstorm series. Rest of the lineup looked like shit.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So now that we know that the PS4 uses an AMD CPU and GPU, and the Xbox 720 has been confirmed to use at least an AMD GPU, who wants to bet that the PS4 and Xbox 720 will have near-identical specs? I'm going to assume their CPU and GPU are exactly the same for ease of manufacturing, but perhaps clocked slightly differently, and the difference will come down to RAM, unless Microsoft want to take part in a pissing contest to match or beat Sony that way.

Commander Xbox

Learned
So now that we know that the PS4 uses an AMD CPU and GPU, and the Xbox 720 has been confirmed to use at least an AMD GPU, who wants to bet that the PS4 and Xbox 720 will have near-identical specs? I'm going to assume their CPU and GPU are exactly the same for ease of manufacturing, but perhaps clocked slightly differently, and the difference will come down to RAM, unless Microsoft want to take part in a pissing contest to match or beat Sony that way.

of course, its just going to be the last gen again, expect with an increasingly retracted market (due to tablets and phones sucking away all the casuals), much higher production costs due to all the time need to squeeze out dem graphics and microsoft and sony pouring even more money into bullshit social aspects noone cares about

its going to be gwawious

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
of course, its just going to be the last gen again, expect with an increasingly protracted market (due to tablets and phones sucking away all the casuals), much higher production costs due to all the time need to squeeze out dem graphics and microsoft and sony pouring even more money into bullshit social aspects noone cares about

its going to be gwawious
At least we had a semblance of a "console war" because the specs in the PS3 and Xbox 360 were so different, which led to varying quality of releases (most better on 360, some better on PS3). But if we end up with identical hardware inside, all that will really exist to differentiate the two consoles is their extra features and branding... which admittedly might be a good thing in the eyes of developers and publishers (less work), but part of me wants to say it's not a "console war" without having pointless arguments over which is most awesome/powerful/etc. Now all that matters is, do you want Move or Kinect? LIVE or PSN?

Commander Xbox

Learned
of course, its just going to be the last gen again, expect with an increasingly protracted market (due to tablets and phones sucking away all the casuals), much higher production costs due to all the time need to squeeze out dem graphics and microsoft and sony pouring even more money into bullshit social aspects noone cares about

its going to be gwawious
At least we had a semblance of a "console war" because the specs in the PS3 and Xbox 360 were so different, which led to varying quality of releases (most better on 360, some better on PS3). But if we end up with identical hardware inside, all that will really exist to differentiate the two consoles is their extra features and branding... which admittedly might be a good thing in the eyes of developers and publishers (less work), but part of me wants to say it's not a "console war" without having pointless arguments over which is most awesome/powerful/etc. Now all that matters is, do you want Move or Kinect? LIVE or PSN?

add to that the fact that there are virtually no exclusives now either. sony has god of war and uncharted. microsoft has halo and gears of war. publishers dont give a shit about exclusivity (and why should they?) and as their precious casual base continues to shrink there will be even less exclusives as they try to get as many sales as possible. really the only deciding factor between the two will be whether or not microsoft decides to commit suicide by implementing some terrible DRM/advertsising shit, and continues to charge for live

Cromwell

Arcane
Who the fuck needs a console war, dumb and blind as I may be I bought a ps3 last year, living under a rock regarding console games until then I thought it would be a good idea given the old ps2 game lineup compared to the original xbox, just to find out afterwards as I left my rock that most of the good jrpgs came out for the 360. Not even the fellow japanese can be arsed to out their games on sony only : (

Ebonsword

Arcane
Honestly, I probably be happy if the graphics on the PS4 looked just like the graphics on the PS3 except with a solid 60 fps (hell, I'd even take a solid 30 fps) and no pop-in.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Honestly, I probably be happy if the graphics on the PS4 looked just like the graphics on the PS3 except with a solid 60 fps (hell, I'd even take a solid 30 fps) and no pop-in.
Get PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom