Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

US: “Six Strikes” Anti-Piracy Scheme Starts Monday

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You're assuming that these people would have bought it if they couldn't pirate it.

Isn't this the typical bullshit? Every download is a lost sale or something.

Also even more funny is when they cry about thirdworlders downloading their products using "rogue" websites and yet when thirdworlders actually want to buy they often can't because "LOL SORRY NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY :troll:"

Repressed Homosexual
And none of these services work in the rest of the world.

Also;

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

And the GoT Season 2 DVD set just sold 240 000 units on its premiere day, further proving Sea's point about pirates buying a lot of shit.

Except that 98% more people pirated it by downloading it, the company would have had a lot more revenue if these people would've had to buy a genuine product.

HHR!, do you even understand what I'm talking about? Do you know what a DVD box set of a TV show is? Have you ever head of HBO and their business model? I am genuinely perplexed. Am I getting subtly trolled, or what?

With high quality HD rips, there is little point for most people to buy something that they have already seen.

Have you looked at how pirated Game of Thrones is? It is to an unprecedented level in home video history. A show this popular with such a cachet to it would have generated much more sales, and subscriptions to premium TV networks if bittorrent wasn't available, and that's simply a fact.

The people who view it without contributing to the health of the show and the industry do not matter. And no it would have been just as popular without bittorrent, it was already extremely hyped without that factor, it would've been a tremendous success regardless.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
And none of these services work in the rest of the world.

Also;

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

And the GoT Season 2 DVD set just sold 240 000 units on its premiere day, further proving Sea's point about pirates buying a lot of shit.

Except that 98% more people pirated it by downloading it, the company would have had a lot more revenue if these people would've had to buy a genuine product.

HHR!, do you even understand what I'm talking about? Do you know what a DVD box set of a TV show is? Have you ever head of HBO and their business model? I am genuinely perplexed. Am I getting subtly trolled, or what?

With high quality HD rips, there is little point for most people to buy something that they have already seen.

Have you looked at how pirated Game of Thrones is? It is to an unprecedented level in home video history. A show this popular with such a cachet to it would have generated much more sales, and subscriptions to premium TV networks if bittorrent wasn't available, and that's simply a fact.

The people who view it without contributing to the health of the show and the industry do not matter. And no it would have been just as popular without bittorrent, it was already extremely hyped without that factor, it would've been a tremendous success regardless.

You know, I find it quite amazing that you can live in the 21-st century, post on enough internet forums to constantly complain about how they're all fascist dictatorships pushing their agenda on you, and yet not understand how the modern world works at all.

First off, the show would be nowhere near as popular without Bittorrent available, and that's simply a fact (tm). Insofar as you can call anything a fact in relation to completely hypothetical scenarios anyway. Still, if you believe one TV show would have suddenly caused a multitude of people to get a premium cable subscription, whereas they didn't want one beforehand, then you're plain delusional. Even more delusional than executives who believe every download is a lost sale, and those are quite delusional already. Even HBO themselves don't believe a single show can generate any meaningful number of new subscribers - they see their service as a full package, and see all the media buzz around GoT as a means of building up their brand.

A single TV show will not cause people who don't want premium cable to get a subscription, save for the more devoted fans perhaps. That whole segment would've simply shrugged and moved on if there weren't any other ways of watching the show, considerably hurting its popularity. The huge DVD sales (largest ever first day sales for an HBO home video release ever, and GoT isn't even their most watched show) actually demonstrate that there's a large group of viewers willing to pay for watching the show, but not willing to subscribe to HBO.

It's even funnier when you consider how much money HBO earns from licensing GoT to other channels outside of the US. You really think there would've been so much foreign interest in it without piracy?

I mean, you can make some reasonable anti-piracy arguments, but GoT is probably the worst example possible to use for this purpose. It's a total posterboy for traditional business models not keeping up in the digital age.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I think a lot of people who are against piracy have good intentions, but don't really understand economics until someone explains it to them. The more people who see your product, the more people who will buy it. Yeah, there will always be freeloading bums, but most pirates do buy something they pirate. The success of Steam has been because of volume of sales, and exposure of content, instead of raising of prices which limits the exposure of whatever they would sell.

I would guess that Game of Thrones is so insanely successful and in vogue with the entertainment culture, is because of the piracy, not because of the amount of HBO subscribers and book readers. Yeah, its one of the most well written series of this generation, if not THE BEST, but that doesn't mean jack squat if nobody knows about it.

In the end, the only way to fight piracy, is to punish honest consumers, which usually ends up having sales plummet, and leaving customers so angry, that they will avoid your entire brand.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
My ending with music piracy has decreased the amount of non-free music that I buy several times.
The other side of the coin is that it drastically increased the amount of free music that I listen to and that I buy/donate to artists.

As I have mentioned before, piracy brings losses to those who offer free/cheaper alternatives.

Oesophagus

Arcane
My ending with music piracy has decreased the amount of non-free music that I buy several times.
The other side of the coin is that it drastically increased the amount of free music that I listen to and that I buy/donate to artists.

As I have mentioned before, piracy brings losses to those who offer free/cheaper alternatives.

Pretty much this. I buy quite a bit of CDs, just because I often want to own a physical copy of an album that I like, and most of them I downloaded first.

Besides, as has been said ITT, if they want to go after people pirating Rihanna and Prometheus, then they can fill their boots. Nothing wrong about Rihanna becoming less popular, and this is all they will achieve.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Simple fact of life is I stopped paying for cable 10 years ago and no show is going to make me do it again. It could be the best TV show ever made and I would still wait for the discs (and discs only because no other good option), and likely pirate it before that so I could watch it ASAP. I really doubt I am alone.

As others have said, wake up to 2013 and use new business models.

Multi-headed Cow

Simple fact of life is I stopped paying for cable 10 years ago and no show is going to make me do it again. It could be the best TV show ever made and I would still wait for the discs (and discs only because no other good option), and likely pirate it before that so I could watch it ASAP. I really doubt I am alone.

As others have said, wake up to 2013 and use new business models.
Pretty much my situation exactly. I don't have cable/satellite TV any more. I just watch a few shows off rabbit ears, download a few shows (And movies... Cough), pay for Netflix (Used to do a streaming and disc subscription but I switched to streaming only since I was getting so many discs even at the "One at a time" speed I wasn't keeping up with it) and then pay for DVDs of shows and movies that really tickle my fancy.

If there was a better Netflix with even more streaming options, especially for currently airing TV shows and currently showing movies, I'd probably go that route. Even though pirating TV and movies isn't some great hassle, it's a hell of a lot nicer to just click the mouse a couple times and have whatever streaming in high quality. Sure as shit not interested in the Amazon video renting service though. Couple bucks per episode of a TV show my ass. If there was some "Doubleplus premium" Netflix subscription that had currently airing movies and TV shows at twice the subscription price... Maybe. Maybe. Though there'd be no way in hell they'd be able to get the rights to everything I'd want anyway. Netflix as-is is nice since it's a giant pile of stuff to root around in. Doesn't really work to completely replace the shows I actually want to watch, but it's cheaper and a fuckton better than paying for cable for random shit, both since the random shit is on tap whenever you want it, selection's better, and no ads.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/internet/21817/six-ways-pirates-can-get-around-coming-six-strikes

6. Diehard ‘casual’ pirates could ride out the Six Strikes storm, since nothing more happens after the sixth warning. At the start of WYNC’s OntheMedia interview, it was said that Six Strikes is supposed to "stop serial illegal downloaders." Later during the interview, when asked what happens if you get Strike 7, 8 or 9, Lesser said, “Once they've been mitigated, they've received several alerts, we're just not going to send them any more alerts. Because they are not the kind of customer that we're going to reach with this program." Nothing more “under this program” will happen. "For us it is reaching the casual infringer which is a large percentage of peer-to-peer piracy," Lesser stated.

So all this just to scare the people that don't really pirate that much to begin with... these guys are really bored :lol:

J1M

Arcane
Watching a movie at home is not worth $20. A dvd is worth $20 because it has conventional duplication, packaging, marketing, and retail shelf space factored into the costs. That is the service publishers provide. They are rightly scared. Online downloads do not involve those things. They involve online ads and technical expertise.

Just as newspapers saw television tear down their 'right' to monopoloze consumer information distibution, publishers will see their revenues go down if for no reason other than the fact that the consumer is handling the duplication of the product and packaging/shelf space are now irrelevant.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Pretty much this. I buy quite a bit of CDs, just because I often want to own a physical copy of an album that I like, and most of them I downloaded first.
I stopped doing it with full knowledge of consequences because I got tired with people calling me a "thief".
I think that only those who make their music available by themselves deserve to benefit from this kind of promotion.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Watching a movie at home is not worth $20. A dvd is worth $20 because it has conventional duplication, packaging, marketing, and retail shelf space factored into the costs. That is the service publishers provide. They are rightly scared. Online downloads do not involve those things. They involve online ads and technical expertise.

That's another reason iTunes is not a good option, $20 for a 90 minute movie with shitty compression artifacts? Come on now. When I say we need a Steam for movies price is a large part of that.

Commander Xbox

Learned

That's a really naive way of looking at it. You're assuming that these people would have bought it if they couldn't pirate it. They likely wouldn't have.

I wouldn't. My reason? I have no more use for DVDs. My PC hasn't even had a DVD Rom in the last two years. Everything I do is digital. I even install Windows from a flash drive. I get annoyed when I have to deal with something as archaic as DVDs, much less having to leave my house and drive 15km to go buy it. If they could provide me with a viable digital alternative, I'd happily buy their movies/series. But they don't and I'm left with the choice of physical media that I have to go out and buy and which can get damaged and stop working, versus the convenience of getting the same thing with a few clicks and a few minutes of waiting time.

Incidentally, I am a heavy pirate, yet I also spend anything between $50 - $300 a month on software. This is only possible because of the convenience services such as Steam bring me. It's not much now, but it's a lot of money for a student. I pirate heavily, yet I still spend a ton of cash on software despite the fact that I can get everything I want for free. Statistically, heavy pirates are often also heavy spenders. It simply makes sense to try before you buy.

how the fuck do you know whatd theyd do faggot

also whether or not they would buy it is irrelvant, people are downloading paid shit for free and theyre going to try and stop it

i dont pirate anyway so enjoy your fines nerds

Commander Xbox

Learned
fun fact for you fags

Steam has more unique users than xbox live and more concurrent users per day than xbox live, yet multiplats only sell 1/10th they do on console on there (if they reach that at all)

i wonder why devs avoid pc??????

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
how the fuck do you know whatd theyd do faggot

also whether or not they would buy it is irrelvant, people are downloading paid shit for free and theyre going to try and stop it

i dont pirate anyway so enjoy your fines nerds

Okay internet rage boy. I don't live in America so no nanny-state bullshit for me.

fun fact for you fags

Steam has more unique users than xbox live and more concurrent users per day than xbox live, yet multiplats only sell 1/10th they do on console on there (if they reach that at all)

i wonder why devs avoid pc??????

And how would you know this, considering Steam doesn't release sales stats? And are you really ridiculous enough to try and compare a free service (Steam) to a subscription service (xbox live)? Of course Steam will have more unique users. Consoles are more child-friendly than the PC and they probably form a giant part of the console userbase. Children generally don't have the money to fork out on subscription fees unless mommy and daddy pay for it.

Isn't this the typical bullshit? Every download is a lost sale or something.

Also even more funny is when they cry about thirdworlders downloading their products using "rogue" websites and yet when thirdworlders actually want to buy they often can't because "LOL SORRY NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR COUNTRY"
Indeed. Living in a third-world country I experience this pretty frequently. Many games such as Mark of the Ninja and Bastion took ages to come to our country. None of the Rockstar games on Steam are available to us. I had to use an exploit with the Steam regional pages to buy LA Noire, and then the exploit got patched out about a month later.

Commander Xbox

Learned
And how would you know this, considering Steam doesn't release sales stats? And are you really ridiculous enough to try and compare a free service (Steam) to a subscription service (xbox live)? Of course Steam will have more unique users. Consoles are more child-friendly than the PC and they probably form a giant part of the console userbase. Children generally don't have the money to fork out on subscription fees unless mommy and daddy pay for it.

way to miss my point

if steam has a larger userbase and it sells significantly less games than xbox and ps3 (despite having an older userbase with more disposable income) its due to the massive piracy rates. hence why nobody wants to touch the pc. again just pointing out what retards you guys are saying things like piracy doesnt matter or even increases sales
:lol:

look up any multiplat games earnings report bro, most publishers dont even bother reporting pc sales because theyre so low

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Are you actually being serious, or just trolling here?

Of course the userbase is going to be larger on Steam than Xbox Live. Steam is a free service. Live is a subscription service. People can also register multiple, free accounts on Steam and people might register an account to play a game then never use it again. Regardless, the userbase for consoles by far surpass that of the PC, no matter how many accounts exist on Steam vs Xbox Live. Consoles have more users because the barrier for entry is significantly lower than a PC equipped to play games from the last few years.

It's also pretty idiotic of you to automatically assume that because Steam has a lot of users and sales for multiplatform titles are low, it's because of high piracy rates. You work for Ubisoft, by any chance? Your views and opinions will be appreciated by them. You'll be welcomed like a comrade there.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I thought the name might just be satirical, but judging from his post history it seems he really just is a moron, so I guess to the ignore list it is then.

Although I guess the fact that he speaks like a 15 year old swearing 'becuz it's cool' should have given it away.

Commander Xbox

Learned
Are you actually being serious, or just trolling here?

Of course the userbase is going to be larger on Steam than Xbox Live. Steam is a free service. Live is a subscription service. People can also register multiple, free accounts on Steam and people might register an account to play a game then never use it again. Regardless, the userbase for consoles by far surpass that of the PC, no matter how many accounts exist on Steam vs Xbox Live. Consoles have more users because the barrier for entry is significantly lower than a PC equipped to play games from the last few years.

It's also pretty idiotic of you to automatically assume that because Steam has a lot of users and sales for multiplatform titles are low, it's because of high piracy rates. You work for Ubisoft, by any chance? Your views and opinions will be appreciated by them. You'll be welcomed like a comrade there.

bwahaha didnt you read what i said retard? Steam has more concurrent users per day than xbox live does. as in it has more unique users online per day and at the same time than xbox live does. look it up.

im sorry but if you dont think piracy is what drove developers right away from the pc in the first place you need to pull you heard out of your ass bro.

Commander Xbox

Learned
here you go, since youre all in denial at how large the PC market is and how bad its sales are: http://store.steampowered.com/news/4502/

During the past 12 months the platform had year-over-year new user growth of 178%, pushing the total number of active accounts to over 30 million, with over 1,200 games now offered. Peak simultaneous player numbers were also up to over three million, with over six million unique gamers accessing Steam each day.

yet it sells 1/10th (if that) of multiplat releases that consoles do

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yes. Free service that is required to play your games in single player and multiplayer vs subscription service that is only necessary to play multiplayer. What a valid, intelligent comparison.

Go back to pushing the awesome button on your console.

Repressed Homosexual
And most of them are at heavily discounted rates.

This is an example of this, developers avoid PCs, because console gamers pay good money for their games.

And "adapting to new business models" is a red herring that means "let us do whatever we want". Netflix at $8 a month is not a sustainable model.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom