Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hey everyone!

My name is Charles and I've been lurking RPG Codex for a while but I finally decided to make an account in lieu of my latest achievement: beating Wizardry 8! I used to play old-style CRPG's with my father back in the day and those are honestly some of the best memories of my childhood, so I'm re-exploring that avenue of gaming lately with a little bit of help from all of you awesome people.

In short, I beat Wizardry 8 and I fell in love with that style of game. Do any of you have suggestions for similar games? I know there are lists of "must-play" games on the forum, but i'm looking for things specifically similar. (3-D worlds are pretty awesome but I'm not so shallow that I wouldn't play a 2D game). I already called my dad and he suggested Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant, but I think I might've already somewhat ruined those two since I've played 8 before them.

Well guys, thoughts and suggestions? I'm looking forward into diving back in time and playing some awesome CRPGs. Thanks!

i heard about this great game called arcanum

you should ask one of our residents about it, his name is drog

he can set you up, son

Gord

Arcane
I second Realms of Arkania series.
Not exactly like Wizardry, but very good games.
RoA 1 can be a bit off-putting to first time players though, as it has relatively simplistic graphics and inventory compared to the 2nd and 3rd parts.
Nevertheless I liked the main quest better than part 2.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I already called my dad and he suggested Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant, but I think I might've already somewhat ruined those two since I've played 8 before them.
No. Wiz7 and Wiz6 both better than Wiz8.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I already called my dad and he suggested Bane of the Cosmic Forge and Crusaders of the Dark Savant, but I think I might've already somewhat ruined those two since I've played 8 before them.

Listen to your papa.

The main problem there is that those two cost a lot as far as i've found them on Amazon and they arent on GoG. I'm not sure how to get my hands on those two.
They're abandonware nigga. Get the first download here, it's an installer with cracked pre-installed game and dosbox: http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/wizardry-6-bane-of-the-cosmic-forge/

MRSA

Scholar
:obviously: gentlemen and trannies of the codex, please recommend me some decent cRPGs my undead desktop can run reasonably.

specs: AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 2 GB RAM, nVIDIA 9600 GSO

Wasteland, FO1, FO2, Divine Divinity, BG2, Torment I have played.

women* need not answer

*no wyminz on the internetz anyway

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Entire Gold Box series? Gothic 1 and 2 (though more ARPGs)?

MRSA

Scholar
sorry mates, I forgot Witcher 1 and Gothic 2 aaand Risen, damn my drinking... (is Gothic 1 worth it?)

Divinity series? what do mean mate? Chrono Trigger, let me look it up

Captain Shrek

JA2.

Probably Betrayal In Antara. Use the GOG version and keep a walkthrough handy or prepare to be extremely attentive and patient.

NWN: SOU and HOTU for some okay Dungeon Crawl.

MRSA

Scholar
thanks mates! (I also forgot to mention I played NWN+exps) aaaaaaand Arcanum [FUCK IT, I'M TOO DRUNK]
gonna check out the rest you recommend

Gord

Arcane
Temple of Elemental Evil for great D&D combat (but not much else).
Some nice indies: I liked e.g. the Eschalon series

Severian Silk

I need a definition for "blobby" combat as in Wasteland, Bard's Tale.

What other game series do this?

If it isn't a bother, I -really- need help in what rpgs to play, and I assume this is the right thread.

I really haven't played many rpgs, but here they are:

Elder scrolls series- Morrowind being the best by far

Planescape torment- I picked this game up from GOG two months ago, because of some strange urge to play a classic rpg- I loved it right off the bat. Everything about it is fantastic. Loved every minute of it. Also the reason I discovered this forum.

Arcanum- I picked up this game in order to play something similar to Planescape, but it felt so much different. I couldn't play it with the goddamn camera, it was so clunky. You couldn't move it past a certain part of the screen, so moving your character without using the map was damn near impossible. That is my only gripe with the game, if there was a fix to that, I would play it a ton.

Kotor I+II- Great games- I played it a ton, but lost the discs years ago. I picked the first one up on steam and replayed it , thinking about picking up the second.

The Witcher series- Really enjoyed the first, but stopped halfway through because it was basically a running simulator. I bought the second off GOG, even though I met minimum specs (And part of recommended), and if I ran "optimized for your pc" settings from the settings, the game ran incredibly clunky. It was basically unplayable.

Fallout series- Played through 1, not through 2, although I own both. Played through 3 and NV as well, and NV is one of my favorite games.

I have probably played through more, but I am forgetting.

What I would really like is something like Planescape. I loved every minute of that game. I would have loved Arcanum, but I could not stand the camera.

I have been looking into the Geneforge series, as well as Avadon: The Black Fortress.

Roguelikes:
DCSS- Great game
Nethack- I couldn't get into it that much
Cataclysm
Dungeons of Dredmor
Dwarf Fortress
Binding of Isaac (Arguably a roguelike)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I need a definition for "blobby" combat as in Wasteland, Bard's Tale.

What other game series do this?

party-based TB or party-based RT?
TB: Wizardry, Might and Magic 1-5 (and partially 6-8), Thunderscape, Yendorian Tales 2-3
RT:
Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Lands of Lore, Bloodwych, Wizard!

Or you want games where monsters displayed as a list?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom