Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

US: “Six Strikes” Anti-Piracy Scheme Starts Monday

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So solution is to make everything a blockbuster? :lol:

Even before piracy went mental games like torment didn't sell all that many copies. What game was a blockbuster and also a classic? Fallout and ultima? But then there's all these other games, which really are better games in many cases. Wizardry, Gold Box, Realms of arcania, arcanum. Don't they deserve to be made, too?
What is "before piracy"? Do you live in some bizzaro alternative universe when piracy wasn't extremely common in 90s?
Games like Arcanum stopped being made because at certain point making big games that appeal to a small audience stopped being appealing to publishers due to the growth of the blockbuster games.
Decreasing piracy wouldn't help because the sales of blockbuster games would also increase making the niche games look as bad as before.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
But even if publishers legitimately put their games (DRM-free) on The Bay, side by side with the Reloaded version, would you agree that both legitimate and illegitimate copies are using the same distribution methods, and thus neither have an advantage in terms of distribution "accessibility and ease of use"?

However, even in the above scenario, an average consumer will still prefer the Reloaded version, because the legitimate version always carries a price premium.

Why such a price premium? Because the makers of the game need to be paid while Reloaded can distribute it for free, essentially free-riding on the game makers' work.

The cheap price of the Reloaded version is what drives piracy, in addition to "accessibility and ease of use."

And now you're using a scenario that simply doesn't exist to drive your argument. The Reloaded version is also bound to have 2000 seeds and 12000 leechers, and this will probably continue for the next month and the user might be lucky if he gets the download done in a week. Compare this to when the publisher puts their game on Steam, where a user can download it at full speed and maybe have it in hours, if not minutes in countries with faster internet and you can see the appeal of buying it over waiting to pirate it.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
But game of thrones isn't that good, it's only popular because it panders to every kind of retard. Biggest fans on this board: Andhaira and Hiver.

:troll:

Regarding the pricing valuation, one of the reasons Crysis was so heavily pirated was because for millions of people it's primary value was as a benchmarking tool, and no one in their right mind pays $60 for one of those. What Crytek thought they were selling was NOT what people who pirated were trying to get. This isn't rocket science.

Amusingly enough, Crysis 1, which "didn't reach its potential due to widespread piracy" according to Crytek, sold as much on the PC alone as Crysis 2 on every platform put together. What's wrong, Crytek, not getting the CoD numbers you were hoping for? What a shame.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like how Moribund keeps trying to troll people ITT by repeating the "PC gaming is dead" mantra but nobody is biting. Well played, Codex. :greatjob:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the lengths pirates will go to to rationalize their degeneracy

But the lengths unpaid shills go to make the points mass media conglomerates and the usual suspects want them to make are more amusing.
I'm not the one who write a novelette about the need to overthrow the man every time someone suggests stealing is wrong :dance:
Did you consult a trolling for dummies guide book when putting together this post? Moribund is at least obfuscating his shitty trolling attempts with walls of text and straw man examples, you just put in an anarchy reference and "piracy=theft" and called it a day. :0/5:/:5/5:

Ain't trolling if it's the truth

I mean most shoplifers just shrug and go 'yea i take it cuz i want to' but for some reason pirates must not only be not harmful but actually convince themselves they are beneficial.

Did you make that line up yourself? It's so original

More importantly, is there any situation it can't be applied to? It isn't even relevant to the point lØl, it's just another of those mindless mantras pirates love to chant

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You had a point apart from trolling? So sorry, I must have it missed it in all the smug self congratulatory drivel. But worry not, maybe next time somebody will fall for it. Try gamefaqs.

When a thread reaches the seventh page of mental gymnastics, looking for a point reveals a FUNDAMENTALLY FLAWED understanding of internet forum rhetorics

You're all petty criminals, much akin to people who won't pay their parking tickets and sneak on the train. Luckily, you are being carried by people who do pay. But stop being so fucking sanctimonious about it, you aren't overthrowing the man or creating new paradigms or ushering in a new era or fighting for your rights or halping the real content producers, you're just taking shit because its there for the taking

evdk

Patron
If at first you don't succeed... :salute: to your perseverance, good sir. Oh wait, wrong emoticon, I meant to use this one: :deadhorse:

:deadhorse:

that would indeed be an excellent summation of this thread. DAE think piracy doesn't hurt content producers, only mean content producers? DAE new paradigm? Wow, you too!?! We should be best friends

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Ain't trolling if it's the truth

I mean most shoplifers just shrug and go 'yea i take it cuz i want to' but for some reason pirates must not only be not harmful but actually convince themselves they are beneficial.

And there's the problem. Digital goods are still being viewed in the same way as physical goods.

aaaaaaaaaand here we go again

fine, replace "shoplifters" with "people who don't pay their train tickets", happy now?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So solution is to make everything a blockbuster? :lol:
Even before piracy went mental games like torment didn't sell all that many copies. What game was a blockbuster and also a classic? Fallout and ultima? But then there's all these other games, which really are better games in many cases. Wizardry, Gold Box, Realms of arcania, arcanum. Don't they deserve to be made, too?
What is "before piracy"? Do you live in some bizzaro alternative universe when piracy wasn't extremely common in 90s?
Piracy was massive in the 70's already, due VHS tapes for video and cassete tapes for music... look into it and you'll see history repeating itself, with copyright owners trying first to forbid sale of home tape-recorders, then trying to add some lock mechanism, and finally going full despair with "illegal tapes have lower quality and can damage our equipment"... in fact it was even worse, as regular stores would offer illegal copies normally, since there wasn't a law (yet) against selling illegal tapes...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Software piracy is a double-edged sword. It allows potential customers to try before they buy, empowers legitimate customers to bypass DRM (or get the game for free as a fuck-you to the publisher for their shitty malware), can function as a replacement when (and this is another DRM-related issue) a legitimate customer runs out of "copies" or "installs", and helps to ensure that only people who both want to and are financially able to support the developers are compelled to do so. Russians, Chinese, and poor people for the most part won't pay $30-60 a pop for computer and video games, meaning that such "lost sales" were never sales to begin with.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are quite a few people who can well afford to purchase a game, but who will pirate it anyway just because they can—not because it's a bad game, nor because it's too expensive, nor because of DRM, nor for any other "just" reason, but simply to save money that they can then spend on additional luxury items for themselves. These people are scumbags. If you enjoy the game, support what the developers are doing, can afford to pay, are buying a product free of shitty DRM, yet choose to steal anyway... you're human garbage. ESPECIALLY if you try to justify your behavior somehow.

Personally, I don't pirate computer games. If I dislike the developer, the publisher, and/or their methods or DRM, I don't play the game. Period. Everything else I buy, which means that I occasionally buy a bad game... which I hate to do, not because it cost me money but because, in a small way, I encouraged the development of additional bad games.

Really, what software developers need to do is plan for sales to customers who are both willing and able to support them. Squealing and crying about massive piracy by the legion of people who are unable or unwilling to pay doesn't do any good, nor does DRM do any good, unless the game in question is always-online multiplayer (and not even then really, since private servers can likely be made).

Commander Xbox

Learned
Saying piracy killed any kind of personal software on the PC is implying reverse causality. Historically piracy has been the primary and often the only available distribution method on PC.

It's why things like Steam works, while things like DRM not only doesn't work but may actually exacerbate piracy. The distribution method needs to be superior to whatever the potential customers have created by themselves. So much more so that people are willing to abandon the cheap distribution method they're used to, in favour of a more expensive one they're not familiar with.

Saying that, for example, piracy killed the SP gaming market in China, is ass-backwards. Because it ignores the actual situation that no such market was ever established. Demand for the products caused improvised distribution that traditional distribution methods couldn't compete with when they finally were available - assuming they can even be said to be available at this point. And that's exactly what's happened everywhere else on this planet.

jesus, check this retard out

they printed more than enough discs for people to buy before steam and bitorrent hit bro. console users still manage to go out and buy 20 million discs of cawadoody each year too

the rationialisation in this thread is crazy

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/4035390/game-of-thrones-director-piracy

'Game of Thrones' director David Petrarca shrugs off piracy, says it doesn't hurt the show

3.9 million pirates, and yet it's still the most successful television show in recent history, and the director doesn't give a damn. Quit being a condescending shitbag, piracy leads to exponentially increased sales EVERY TIME AS LONG AS YOUR PRODUCT IS GOOD, if people steal your game, and they hate it, they wont buy it. Without piracy, GoT would be nowhere near as big as it is now.

Oh, and just in case you're wondering:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/06/04/game-of-thrones-finale-ratings-2/

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s151/g...91/game-of-thrones-breaks-hbo-dvd-record.html

Nearly 4 million pirates, and yet it still breaks sales/ratings records. Suck on that.

Oh and before you worm your way out of this hole you dug, here's some more opinions about piracy from people who's very livelyhood is dependent on selling video games instead of television shows:

http://www.gamefront.com/gabe-newell-piracy-is-a-non-issue/
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114391-Valves-Gabe-Newell-Says-Piracy-Is-a-Service-Problem

The proof is in the proverbial pudding. "Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam's] largest market in Europe," Newell said.

“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

its a tv show retard, as long as they get shitloads of revenue from people tuning in to the show they dont give a shit

if they depended entirely on those dvd sales it would be a different story

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
its a tv show retard, as long as they get shitloads of revenue from people tuning in to the show they dont give a shit

So by your logic movies should't care as well, since most movies are already in massive profit just by opening weeks on cinema, they should't gve a shit to DVD sales then...

Commander Xbox

Learned

So by your logic movies should't care as well, since most movies are already in massive profit just by opening weeks on cinema, they should't gve a shit to DVD sales then...

they do care, it would be stupid to assume theyre fine with people stealing their shit. just not as much as mediums which existance hinge on people buying the product directly (vidya games)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
aaaaaaaaaand here we go again

fine, replace "shoplifters" with "people who don't pay their train tickets", happy now?
Not happy. A person that takes a free ride takes up space would be free if they weren't on bus/train. Parking space is usually limited too. Also, bus/train/parking space needs to be maintained and maintenance costs usually increase with use.

I don't quite understand the compulsion of the copyrightfags to compare copyright infringements to other crimes. One usually doesn't say "stealing Mars bars from a store is bad because it's like a murder". Usually one says "stealing Mars bars is bad because it removes someone's Mars bar from his inventory." or something like that.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think the nearest analogue to the physical world would be trespass. Copyright infringement is a deprivation of the copyright holder's right to exclude other people from copying the work. Trespass is a violation of the landowners right to exclude others from entering the property.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom