Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think you'll have to finish your first playthrough with a SL 1. But if it's challenge you're looking for, i'm sure you won't mind.

Stonewolf

Augur
Lol so I just tried the PC version of this. This port is an insult someone at Namco poopped out during his lunchbreak after seeing the petition and realizing the opportunity to make monies with absolutely zero effort. I'd prefer to chop my arm off and fuck myself with it than have to attempt playing with that control system again and facerolling the keyboard in search for the right key after seeing a tooltip that tells me to press A or press Start, or use left thumbstick to do something.

Oh and it was after using a mod that some dude on the internet made which enables smooth camera movement with mouse and sensitivty change. Those retardevs should hire that guy I guess since he knows more about their game than they do.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The dsfix makes this crappy port far better than the original game granted you have an xbox 360 or ps3 controller at your disposal. It's very easy to install and tweak.

betamin

Learned
I think you'll have to finish your first playthrough with a SL 1. But if it's challenge you're looking for, i'm sure you won't mind.

Nah, I was thinking about doing a normal playthrough (leveling up as I get souls with no grinding) with the added difficulty of NG+ playing as a sorcerer, maybe that way magic would be balanced enough to use it.

J1M

Arcane
Perhaps someone could explain to me what the redeeming value of this game is.

I'm using an xbox controller on PC and jesus fucking christ are the controls for this game terrible. And why can't I customize them to put dodge on a bumper?

The graphics are horrendous, the sounds are so bad I thought my sound card was stuttering or something, and my character doesn't appear to be capable of jumping or traversing small ledges.

Aside from the purported difficulty, I don't understand why this game has any popularity at all. I tried some melee combat and some spellcasting and both sucked hard.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Just one small thing since I don't have much time right now: you can jump if you try it while running. This is very useful in quite a few situations. (The bit about the ledges sucks a bit, though.)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm using an xbox controller on PC and jesus fucking christ are the controls for this game terrible. And why can't I customize them to put dodge on a bumper?

The graphics are horrendous, the sounds are so bad I thought my sound card was stuttering or something, and my character doesn't appear to be capable of jumping or traversing small ledges.

Aside from the purported difficulty, I don't understand why this game has any popularity at all. I tried some melee combat and some spellcasting and both sucked hard.

Sorry, I suck at the game.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

My taste in games suck.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Horrendous graphics and bad sound? Bizarro world much? Especially here on the Codex where supposedly good art and sound design is king so you'd figure y'all have an eye and ear for it?

J1M

Arcane
Wow, I was expecting a better rebuttal. Who knew that a console action rpg that is slightly difficult would garner such blind loyalty and devotion on the codex. o_O

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know man. You can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink. Some things are just good and some people just don't have the mind for it. For example, I hate Pulp Fiction- a movie universally considered good. All explanations on why it is good will be met with no understanding from my side.

Dire Roach

Prophet

Which game would you compare Dark Souls to which you consider relatively superior in these aspects?

Also, did you use dsfix?

Castanova

Prophet
Is there a forum where the developers actually read posts? I know it's basically a lost cause but I really want to beg for a Demon's Souls port. I would literally pay like $300 to get a copy of Demon's Souls that runs on a computer.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a forum where the developers actually read posts? I know it's basically a lost cause but I really want to beg for a Demon's Souls port. I would literally pay like $300 to get a copy of Demon's Souls that runs on a computer.

I think you'd be wasting your time. Demon's Souls was originally published by Sony in Japan... it's why the game was PS3 exclusive. Even though other companies published the game in territories outside of Japan, I'd imagine there's something in the original agreement locking it down for PS3. They made Dark Souls to go multiplatform.

J1M

Arcane
If you want to waste $300 you can just buy a PS3. :smug:

J1M

Arcane

Which game would you compare Dark Souls to which you consider relatively superior in these aspects?

Also, did you use dsfix?
Wasn't aware of dsfix. That might explain why the game looked like my computer was a PS3. Doesn't explain how they could release it like that.

In terms of controls in an action RPG with some difficulty, I found playing Darksiders 1 on Apocalyptic to be a much more enjoyable example. Now, I am perfectly open to being wrong about this, which is why I came here confused and asking to be convinced to give the game another try. Maybe at a certain point Dark Souls becomes something very different from what I saw in the first couple of hours. Maybe there is a class that offers a jump button. :(

praetor

Arcane
Wow, I was expecting a better rebuttal. Who knew that a console action rpg that is slightly difficult would garner such blind loyalty and devotion on the codex. o_O

"shit sucks, yo! because, man!"-like trolling attempts by basement dwelling manchildren don't deserve proper rebuttals. learn how to express your opinions coherently and maybe you will get a decent discussion going on (although i seriously doubt that was your intention)

Castanova

Prophet

I have a PS3 and I have Demon's Souls. I want to play it on the PC and I want to be able to play it 10 years from now.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
In terms of controls in an action RPG with some difficulty, I found playing Darksiders 1 on Apocalyptic to be a much more enjoyable example.
See, these two games have completely different focus. Darksiders is more arcade-like mowing through hordes with your superpowers. In Dark Souls your moveset is much more down-to-earth by design. You're supposed to feel somewhat weak, strong for a human but still mostly human. If you don't like that approach then it's probably just not a game for you.

Maybe at a certain point Dark Souls becomes something very different from what I saw in the first couple of hours.
Not really.

Dire Roach

Prophet

I have a PS3 and I have Demon's Souls. I want to play it on the PC and I want to be able to play it 10 years from now.
That's easy, just wait until someone makes a decent PS3 emulator. R00fles!

J1M The PC version of Dark Souls is a crappy port so yeah, dsfix is pretty much mandatory for the game to look decent.

I can see why you would be disappointed if you expected gameplay similar to Darksiders out of this game. Like others said before, the action in Dark Souls is totally different and doesn't really require lighting reflexes. The game is more designed around the relatively simple blocking mechanic rather than dodging and parrying, which are more risky because they require precise timing but are much more rewarding. The pace is slow and tense, like how a survival horror game should be.

Dark Souls' minimalist storytelling style is also pretty good and refreshing if you're a storyfag. It's also one of those games where it's very easy to miss a lot of hidden cool stuff in your first playthrough and can be played in a very nonlinear way if you know what you're doing.

J1M

Arcane
Dire Roach

To be honest, all I was expecting going into it was a high difficulty and lots of stats. I had no idea the controls would be purposefully sabotaged in the vein of a classic Resident Evil game.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Dire Roach

To be honest, all I was expecting going into it was a high difficulty and lots of stats. I had no idea the controls would be purposefully sabotaged in the vein of a classic Resident Evil game.
I wouldn't really say the controls were sabotaged. Your character can be quite agile if you fight with light weapons and armor and your melee attacks vary depending on the specific weapon you're wielding. Regardless of your armor, however, you will always be vulnerable enough that if you get too careless, even the weakest enemies can end up killing you with a surprise backstab or riposte.

If you don't get sucked into exploring the world and level design in the first hour or two and you dislike the combat mechanics, I wouldn't bother continuing, personally. Though I would disagree on the controls; they are somewhat different from other action games, but I think they work reasonably well for the system.

Just curious J1M, how far did you get in a couple hours?

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
If you don't get sucked into exploring the world and level design in the first hour or two and you dislike the combat mechanics, I wouldn't bother continuing, personally. Though I would disagree on the controls; they are somewhat different from other action games, but I think they work reasonably well for the system.

Just curious J1M, how far did you get in a couple hours?

I agree that if you don't like the first few hours (say, until you get to the Undead Parish), you probably won't like the rest. My only caveat would be that if you're finding the game sucks b/c combat feels awkward or cheap, then playing it until the controls feel natural is probably a good idea. I found the demon souls controls were a bit odd at first b/c I was used to the standard action game - which led to a bit of frustration as muscle memory was working against me. As a sidenote, the control scheme seems odd at first, but once I got used to them, the use of the shoulder buttons for right and left hand gear made better sense.

One the other hand, if you just think the combat is slow and unfun, the game is not for you. The charm of DS combat (and the game in general) is cautious tension. You fight carefully to wait for an opening and you explore carefully to avoid hazards and ambushes. If you don't like that tension/frantic action balance, the game will probably won't ever get better for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom