Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me some good RTS games dammit

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Okay, I know I'm a total turn-based nerd but I have the sudden hankering for RTS action and I don't have my Kohan disks with me. I don't care what kind of game it is as long as it's real-time and it's strategy so serve me up some good 'uns, aight?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Have it. I probably should list all the ones I currently have:

Age of Empires 2 & 3
Kohan
Darwinia
Starcraft
Warcraft 2 & 3
Myth 1 & 2
All the EU engine games
Total Anihilation
Rise of Nations

Are the Earth 21whatever games any good? I think I have 2140 and 50 but I can't find them and don't remember much about them.

onerobot

Scholar
Are you looking for the action-y "click on things and watch them blow up" type or ones more along the lines of Europa Universalis and Rise of Nations?

ad hominem

Scholar
Age of Empires 2 (with the expansion). 3 felt just like two to me, except less fun. I dunno exactly why. Maybe it's because they didn't change much.

Command & Conquer (and C&C Generals)

any Warcraft

Starcraft

Heard Rise of Nations is good, but haven't played it.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Command & Conquer
Fuck you.

Thanks for the GC link, Baby Arm, though I hate working through fileplanet it's worth it. GC is a damn fine game.

Is Total Annihilation Kingdoms any good? I totally dig TA, 'specially with all the uber mods installed (props to KC), and TAK looks like it's more of the same but in a fantasy universe. Am I right? Wrong? Insane?

xemous

Arcane
Are the Earth 21whatever games any good? I think I have 2140 and 50 but I can't find them and don't remember much about them.

Earth2160 is a blast online. It's a bit clunkly to control though.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
Command & Conquer
Is Total Annihilation Kingdoms any good? I totally dig TA, 'specially with all the uber mods installed (props to KC), and TAK looks like it's more of the same but in a fantasy universe. Am I right? Wrong? Insane?
TAK isn't as good, but it has its good moments though, the retailversion had a big slow-up problem but it got fixed in a late patch. There is a demo as well as numerous other free files from Cavedog. I think it's better to play with the expansion (The Iron Plague) too. Campaign has a better story/setup than TA's but the AI isn't too bright. Same with skirmish. The four/(five with TIP) sides are quite different. I don't believe it has an equally big community/equal number of cool mods as TA has but there is definitely a hardcore fanbase of TAKkers.

I only thouroughly played Earth2140, which is just a blast if you liked KKnD1. Just a normal killemall rts. Doesn't work on XP anymore though.

Gonna ponder bit more about which other RTS's I could recommend... :)

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Blitzkrieg 2

Cossacks 2

Rush for Berlin

Of those three I strongly reccomend BK2, no RTS gamer should be without it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, as bryce said, a "good RTS" is dangerously close to being an oxymoron. But I had fun with Warcraft 2, Earth 2140 and an obscure post-apocalyptic (iirc) RTS called Tribal War that probably noone but me heard about - it may be worth an abandonware search.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Oh man, I forgot all about Dawn of War. I think Greatatlantic recommended it to me a while back and linked me up with the demo and it was a blast. Dunno why I never got around to getting the full game. Thanks, Surlent.

TAK is only 10 bucks on amazon so I'll pick that up, too.

Kraszu

Prophet
Z is fun (only first part). You have to take over zones, each zone have factory/turrets (it depends on factory which units you can produce there) the "stronger is unit you want to produce the longer it takes. Because of maps (the way zones are located and what they have) it is interesting, you have to decide what is best to take first what to produce and so on, kinda simple but still more strategy then most rts.

Gambler

Augur
Warcraft 2 & 3
Then I recommend Warcraft 1. IMO, it's much better strategy than the 2 & 3. But its controls suck.

Also, try Dungeon Keeper 2. It's not very strategical, but... well, just try it.

Get the BattleZone
Yes, the first Battle Zone is severely underrated.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Naked_Lunch said:
kingcomrade said:
Is Total Annihilation Kingdoms any good?
No.
Elaborate, texan scum
It's not any good at all. The combat is poorly implemented, as is the economic model. The entire game is clunky and just plain slow. Pathing issues were also a huge problem, even worse than in TA. If you've bought it, you'll understand when you play it, but I would say don't even waste your 10 dollars. It doesn't play anything like the original TA, which is definitely a bad thing in a game which is SUPPOSED to. It's like Warcraft 3 without any of the balance, smoothness, ease of control, anything, with a TA damage system (which makes no sense) and a TA economic model (only lamer).

Nedrah

Erudite
If you liked TA, you might like the OpenSource adaption, TA-Spring.

http://taspring.clan-sy.com/

You'll want to get the Absolute Annihilation 2.11 Mod, as that's the mod most people are playing. Additional maps can be optained from within the battle screen, they come at ~ 10MB a piece.

Also I'd suggest you listen to the comrade, TAK is crap. You might go for the Earte 21xx games, but I suggest you stay away from the latest one.

Rome: Total War (or Medieval: Total War) seems to be missing on your list, but if you've played Blitzkrieg I guess you propably didn't miss that one.

If you're looking for something along the quality standards of kohan or myth, (you DO know majesty, right?) or even wc3+tft... I think you're pretty much out of luck.

I lately tend to spend way more time looking for games that I haven't played to death yet and that don't suck than actually playing. Regarding current gaming industry standards, "doesn't suck" translates roughly to "doesn't make me want to mutilate random women with rusty spoons". Not that this would be a bad thing. Looking for a decent RTS is pretty similar to trying to find a rpg. You're going to find a bunch of games that might fit the genre/expectations, but at the end of the day there's nothing out right now that I feel the urge to think about while not in front of the pc. (<- yes, happened to me with the Fallouts, arcanum, wasteland and darklands - WC3tft and starcraft as well as TA, too)

(...also Final Fantasy 8, but I was stoned out of my mind at the time, so hopefully it doesn't count...)

Supreme Commander looks promising, though.

Edit:I forgot to second Dungeon Keeper 2. Great fun for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom