Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What idiots

User was nabbed fit

That said, I'm sure Bethesda has recognized that the Fallout series contains its own formula for success, that the series has a very rabid fan-base which are very resistant to change and that they are going to have to address a great number of skeptics (not just the fans).

Bethesda hears ya', but Beth don't give a fuck, as you see, they might just end up relying on their own fans, who probably outnumber the 'hardcore' Fallout fans anyway. If you want max profits, you're going to want to appeal to the biggest audience.

Stop assuming that they went out and bought the Fallout license with the intention of running the franchise into the ground.

I doubt anyone ever assumed that. No, of course not, Bethesda isn't going to run the franchise into the ground (in terms of its 'popularity'), it's going to transvestite it for maximum profit from their dumbass audience... it'll gain a whole new following, even if it'll lose 90% of the old one in the process... but it doesn't matter, at the end of the day the new audience will largely outnumber the old one == max profits! Weee!

stop with the "Oh, woe is me; an award-winning game developer is finally making the game I've waited almost a decade for but I know in my heart-of-hearts that it will be terrible" charade.

Hey, you know what, he can shove a stick up his ass and twirl. Apparently he doesn't understand that Bethesda is "REVOLUTIONARY" and have their own goals, mainly making their games as fucking mainstream as possible, so that they can rake in as much cash as they can. They don't give a fuck about what anyone thought was good in the first games (in terms of what really made the games special -- not hookers and drugs :roll:), probably because gamers with the attention span of gold fish wouldn't be interested by any of it... they want a fast action, hand-holding game... and that's probably what they'll get.

But hey, I'm being pessimistic today. I'm not outruling the possibility of a decent sequel, I'm just saying it's doubtful... So if it does turn out to be decent, I think that Beth would win a little bit of respect from me.

Norfleet

All I have to say is that a pessimist is never disappointed. A pessimist looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. An optimist gets run over.

User was nabbed fit

Claw said:
Do you believe it does make alot of sense, replying to a post on an offsite message board here?

Just thought I'd bring up some points against him (thus my intention wasn't to 'respond' to him), even though they've probably been said a 100 times before. And I was bored.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Norfleet said:
All I have to say is that a pessimist is never disappointed. A pessimist looks both ways before crossing a one-way street. An optimist gets run over.
True, and I would love Bethesda to prove my pessimistic views on Fallout 3 wrong. Who knows? Mabye it will be good.

Kendar

Novice
NoisyKillerHPB said:
Mr Happy said:
Who knows? Mabye it will be good.
:shock:
"Good" in the sense of "simple and immediate fun", I guess. But I still don't trust this game. In term of generic-heroic-fantasy-fake-RPG-where-you-wander-power-up-and-do-quests, I am more confident for The White Council, because at least, in the plots, I know I will have the impression of following a goal. I replayed OB recently (after a pause of severall months), and it is incredible how I never have the impression of doing something meaningful.

So, unless a radical change to the developement team (i.e. firing everyone and reassembling Troika), Fallout 3 will be a huge piece of Elder-Scrolls-game.

Let's hope it will be moddable so we can have a graphical and technical ressource to mod two remakes.

Micmu

Magister
Damn, I hate this overly abused word FUN more than epic, next gen, immersive and redefined.
This so-called FUN is very subjective. Some people just don't consider generic, soulless, storyless, brainless action games fun. They find H&S games like Dungeon Siege/Lords, Fable, Oblivion, Titan Quest, etc.. extremely un-fun.

St. Toxic

Arcane
It's PoS2; just ignore it, let them fuck about, and hopefully a greater force ( like terrorists, or perhaps faith ) will be the ones to judge them.

psycojester

Arbiter
If thats the worse thing to come out of the game spot/faq boards consider yourself lucky.
Consider this gem from their mageknight forum

When I play a rpg I like to be the coolest thing ever. A half-naked vampire, a powerful looking dragon mage with wings!!, a mechized dwarf with guns, a melee crazy amazon, or the paladin like elf warrior. These characters might be the strongest aspect of the game.

St. Toxic

Arcane
He'll wake up a year or two from now, realize he's into cosplay and furrybanging, and drop "rpg's" for the sake of sexual fetishes. Give the kid a break, he's just trying to find himself in an unforgiving society.

glasnost

Augur
I think it would be interesting to see Michael Kirkbride's take on a post-apocalyptic story, operating within a design framework and systems mechanics defined by Tim and the rest. Certainly any cults in the gameworld would be fully realized.

But...Kirkbride doesn't work at Bethesda anymore...and the Troika guys never will...so nevermind.

It's too bad that the creative decisions of that studio are in Todd's, rather than Kirkbride's hands. Think of what Oblivion would have been like! Completely incomprehensible, and wonderful.

Zomg

Arbiter
Egah, I don't think I'd be too interested that. Kirkbride has one trick, writing in squid ink. It works as an encompassing theme, as in Morrowind, but he'd be crappo for Fallout, which is basically about making a standing wave out of the feeling in the Fallout 1 intro and outro. He'd at least care, though, I suspect.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The problem, i think, it's not so much that Bethesda only cares about maxing out sales or what not, but the fact they are honestly incapable of making a good game. As simple as that.

Even in the crazy event they might decide to make a proper Fallout sequel by giving it all their best, they'd still fail, miserably at that.

It's a matter of fact, i'm going out of a limb here and guess they propably don't even know why their games are so successful in the first place. It was only by sheer luck that they stumbled upon a winning formula and all they can do is blindly follow the same path without a clear idea of where they are going, the only sure thing being that folks like purty graphics...

glasnost

Augur
Zomg said:
He'd at least care, though, I suspect.
I think so too, which is why I'd be curious.

I don't think his material is just there to obfuscate something mundane--it's just that some of the concepts he likes to write about lose whatever value they might have by reducing them to something more easily digestible. I agree that what he's doing doesn't really gel with fallout. I could see him coming up with an NPC like The Master pretty easily, but the framework would be esotericism, and not retro-science.

The thing is, I think it's pretty much a given that Bethesda will be manipulating Fallout into a different direction. I'd rather it be his than some of the more likely alternatives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom