Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Richard Garriott: Game designers suck (except me and a couple of my buddies)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Richard Garriott

The buddies in question being Chris Roberts, Will Wright and Peter Molyneux, in case you're curious. So says Richard Garriott de Cayeux, now in the middle of his 'totally not a derivative social MMO with microtransactions' Kickstarter campaign, in his interview with PC Gamer. Have a snippet:

“You know, I go back to the day when I was the programmer, I was the artist, I was the text writer, etcetera,” said Garriott. “Every artist we’ve ever hired ever is infinitely better at art than I ever was. I was never a good artist, or audio engineer, or composer. I was a pretty good programmer, but now all of our programmers are better than I am—but if I’d stayed in programming I could probably keep up.

“But other than a few exceptions, like Chris Roberts, I’ve met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am. I’m not saying that because I think I’m so brilliant. What I’m saying is, I think most game designers really just suck, and I think there’s a reason why.”

Chris Roberts, who worked with Garriott back when Origin Systems was producing both Ultima and Wing Commander, isn’t Garriott’s only exception—he also identified Will Wright and Peter Molyneux as examples of quality game designers. The majority, however, become designers because they lack other skills, according to Garriott’s analysis.

“If you like games, you eventually get to the point where you’d like to make one,” said Garriott. “But if you had this magic art talent as a youth, you can refine your skills and show a portfolio and say, ‘I’m a good artist, go hire me’ If you’re nerdy enough to hack into a computer, programming on your own, you can go to school and learn proper structure, make code samples and go ‘Look, I’m a good programmer, hire me.’

“But if you’re not a good artist and not a good programmer, but you still like games, you become a designer, if you follow me. You get into Q&A and often design.

“And the most valuable part of creating a game is the design, which the programmers are technically executing. And they’d be happy to just execute some of them. But in my mind, most artists and programmers are just as much of gamers as the designers, and I usually find in my history that the artists and programmers are, in fact, as good of designers as the designers. They’re often better, because they understand the technology or the art.

“So we’re leaning on a lot of designers who get that job because they’re not qualified for the other jobs, rather than that they are really strongly qualified as a designer. It’s really hard to go to school to be a good designer.”​

That may be a valid point, Richard, and you may have been a good designer once. But are you still one?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Stabwound

Arcane
Of course bloggers are playing it up for hits, but Garriott's words are his words. It's not like they're misquoting him. I think he's just a very out-of-touch guy living back in the 90s and trying to clutch onto his former glory. It's no coincidence that every interview he does begins with him going over his history and how his classic games were such masterpieces of innovation.

Not that they aren't, but still.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Jonathan Blow ‏@Jonathan_Blow2h
To everyone mad about the @RichardGarriott comments: You're being played by integrity-less bloggers for ad hits. Again. Don't be a sucker.
Retweeted by The Ultima Codex

lol Kenneth

I don't get it, what is Jonathan Blow trying to say here?

Even if you interpret him as charitably as possible, Garriott is still being a mega-arrogant douchebag here.

Jonathan Blow is a Molyneux/Gariott in the making, so it kinda fits.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I’ve met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am

Granted, taking this out of context makes it look a whole lot worse than it is. Still, the choice of words is disturbing.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
“And the most valuable part of creating a game is the design, which the programmers are technically executing. And they’d be happy to just execute some of them. But in my mind, most artists and programmers are just as much of gamers as the designers, and I usually find in my history that the artists and programmers are, in fact, as good of designers as the designers. They’re often better, because they understand the technology or the art.
So we’re leaning on a lot of designers who get that job because they’re not qualified for the other jobs, rather than that they are really strongly qualified as a designer. It’s really hard to go to school to be a good designer.”

I definitely agree with him on this point (in the general gaming industry).

xilo3z

Educated
Yeah I don't see a problem with what he said...Well beside the whole fellating himself and his bros part. I believe Sandy Peterson on MattChat essentially said the same thing as Garriott when asked how to get into game design/what makes good designers.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jonathan Blow ‏@Jonathan_Blow2h
To everyone mad about the @RichardGarriott comments: You're being played by integrity-less bloggers for ad hits. Again. Don't be a sucker.
Retweeted by The Ultima Codex
sez9MpV.gif

Stabwound

Arcane
If nothing else, this controversy is doing well for the campaign. The last few days have been the best performing for the KS since the first few days.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Actually the daily income by day is outdoing Torment at the moment.

But Torment has 2.75 M so far.

Diablo169

Arcane
I hope tomorrows Torment update stirs things up a bit, we can't have Richard Garriott de Cuntlord outdoing Fargo with that piece of shit game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In fact I think the un-intended publicity from that interview might make his game more exposed than it normally would have, and is how it is bringing in more revenue currently.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But the interview only really went viral today and that chart shows a spike starting two days ago. Couldn't it be due to Tracy Hickman + the game finally reaching its funding goal?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom