Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Polygon reports on Might & Magic X Legacy at PAX East, game to be released in September

norolim

Arcane
25 hours to complete? That's like some freebie extra adventure you get if buy the gold edition or something, not a full ga
Actually, I wasn't expecting more than 25. Remember it's a test run with an indie budget. We are lucky we got more than 20 h.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I never heard of this Polygon site until recently, but... man, it's like Kotaku II. They cover interesting stuff, but can't write.
It's exactly like Kotaku 2. Founded by the same shitty writers.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I don't know what's worse: that shitty article or kiddies whining because the are RPGs where race and class can be the same.
Fucking kiddie-I-never-played-an-RPG-before-Dragon Age-codex...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
25 hours to complete? That's like some freebie extra adventure you get if buy the gold edition or something, not a full game.

Of course, you're not alone: You control a four-member party chosen from 12 typical fantasy classes like elves, dwarves, orcs and mages, and you can switch between them on the fly — even within a turn — to attack foes in multiple ways. The first time Le Breton came across a group of enemies in the world, he started off by hurling a few fireballs from his mage. Then he crept closer to the group so his dwarf, a melee-focused character, could hit them directly. Then he finished them off with a lightning bolt from the mage.

That's sounds to me like there is only one active character while the rest wait in your backpack. Like if you get in melee, you take a timeout and put your mage wait on a bench while the dwarf gets playtime.
2012 newfags are not into reading comprehension. Also I would kill for a 25 hours long RPG if the game is good.

random_encounter

Educated
You move through the world one pace at a time, and with each step, something may or may not happen — an enemy might attack, or a character might give you a quest. Everything takes place from a first-person view.
I guess the author is trying to describe random encounters? I wonder if that means they've gone back to using unseen randoms rather than visible ones. All the trailer seemed to show was combat after 80% of it was wasted on fluff.

Of course, you're not alone: You control a four-member party chosen from 12 typical fantasy classes like elves, dwarves, orcs and mages, and you can switch between them on the fly — even within a turn — to attack foes in multiple ways.
I'm venturing to guess that the switching refers to just clicking on a character portrait and initiating some kind of action if they're ready (rather than mashing the attack icon, er, button of awesome).

The entire article reads like it was written by someone who has never played an RPG Might & Magic in his life, so we may just be reading his confusion instead of actual new information.
Corrected. But I agree with the sentiment -- sounds like the person had never seen an older CRPG before this one. 25 hours also seems a bit short. Still, I'm interested to see where this goes.

Mortmal

Arcane
25 hours to complete? That's like some freebie extra adventure you get if buy the gold edition or something, not a full ga
Actually, I wasn't expecting more than 25. Remember it's a test run with an indie budget. We are lucky we got more than 20 h.

What a test run this will be ...With short life span , smal budget and not the most experienced guys on board, if it fails and sale arent good they will say again its cause of a lack of interest into traditional rpgs.

I don't mind if the game is indeed 25 hours. In fact, i think i'd prefer shorter games.
I usually get bored with those "epic length" and stop playing.
You've seen all the monsters, have all the spells, and things start to feel dragged out. Years later i find myself starting a new game.
But maybe 25 is too short. To be honest i've never really paid any attention to how long i've played a game.

Of couse the price has to reflect the lenth and content...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wonder what they mean by "with each step, something may or may not happen". Is it a random thing, like a roguelike?

Sounds like MM1 and 2. But I can't imagine them going that far back to the roots.

Poor uninformative article, there zero news info into that , "Might and Magic X Legacy is being developed with an "actively involved" community" id like to know what is that community , as far as i know none asked us our opinions, and theres no info on rpgwatch, nor on any abandonware forums .

Isn't Celestial Heaven the main Might&Magic community? I wonder if that is the "actively involved community"? I'm not a member and I only read it very irregularly, but I know Luzur is a regular there.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Isn't Celestial Heaven the main Might&Magic community? I wonder if that is the "actively involved community"? I'm not a member and I only read it very irregularly, but I know Luzur is a regular there.

I'm not seeing any discussions at all from the Devs making it there. They seem to be surprised about this announcement as we are.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
...classes like elves...
Yeah, right. ;)

As if elves had any class :codexisfor:
images

norolim

Arcane
What a test run this will be ...With short life span , smal budget and not the most experienced guys on board, if it fails and sale arent good they will say again its cause of a lack of interest into traditional rpgs.
Isn't that what we should expect from Ubisoft? They'll have an inexperienced team develop it for peanuts, with no advertising, horrible DRM and streamline it into oblivion and then, when the game flops for all the obvious reasons, they'll fail to recognise them and state that there is no market for classic RPGs.

Mortmal

Arcane
Isn't that what we should expect from Ubisoft? They'll have an inexperienced team develop it for peanuts, with no advertising, horrible DRM and streamline it into oblivion and then, when the game flops for all the obvious reasons, they'll fail to recognise them and state that there is no market for classic RPGs.
Likely yes and thats what i should expect , but i was getting all nostalgic and fuzzy inside when i saw the trailer and heard sheltem voice, i thought something different may happen this time.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
i'm gonna remain positive on this...but goddammit if my decline sense isn't tingling like crazy.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Le Breton noted that involving fans is a double-edged sword, because while they have a deep knowledge of the games themselves, they often don't know what they want unless it's put in front of them. They tend to be much better at commenting on something that's presented to them than at coming up with ideas themselves.

Idiot. Instead of creating these VIP forums they should post their ideas here on the codex and see if we don't know what we want and are incable of having original thoughts.

Gelbvieh

Educated
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Are there even any RPG journos at PAX?

I figured the Polygon article might have been a victim of convention syndrome, one guy being sent to all the booths ending up with promo-speech regurg. He only wrote 3 things that day, though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Why did he put elves, drarves and mages into one pot?"

That's OLD SKOOL.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I predicted this thread would be full of people complaining about the potential length of a game they don't even know if they'll enjoy and I was right as always. Knights of the Chalice was about 25 hours and even then it wore out its welcome by the end.

It's a downloadable-only title so I'm confident they're not charging anywhere near $50.

Giskard

Augur
With the estimated gameplay, I reckon they are keeping thier toes in both camps, a) Old Skooler's...like us:martini:, and b) trying not to alienate any potential newbies who might be interested in this game by making it popamole length.

I must have spent probably 1500 hours in total over the entire M&M series, and I do not regret a minute of it...except maybe the time on M&M9, which was minimal anyway.

I am looking forward to this, but some extra info and screenies would be nice. I have the urge to pull out my 6,7 and 8 discs and see if I can get then running on Win 7 Box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom