Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Might & Magic X Gameplay Video + Developer Q&A

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

With each passing day, we manage to dig up more tidbits of information about Might & Magic X Legacy from out of the dark recesses of the Internet. This time, one of our users managed to find a low quality gameplay video, which was recorded at PAX East by the staff of the somewhat unoriginally named German website "PC Games".

It looks good! Ubisoft, y u no publicize this game more?

Update: The Might & Magic fansite Celestial Heavens has posted a short Q&A with the developers at Limbic Entertainment. It's the first in a series of Q&A sessions with Limbic and Ubisoft.

CH: What is the estimated release date?

Answer: The game will be released within the year.​

CH: Is there a multiplayer option and how will it work?

Answer: No. We will not have any multiplayer features. It's a straight forward single player game.​

CH: Will movement be tile based?

Answer: Yes, the movement is tile based. It's a WASD walk with QE turning you left and right. Holding the right mouse button enables you to use the "free-look" but when you move it snaps back to the default camera position.​

CH: Will there be an online aspect of the game?

Answer: No. Buy, download, play. Depending on a the distribution platform we probably have achievements. Aside from this Uplay is required like in all other Ubisoft titles. However, Uplay needs you to be online for a one time activation.​

CH: Can you arrange party formations?

Answer: No, not in terms of "melee in the front, casters in the back". What you can influence is the turn order of your party members like "who acts when". Aside from this we have certain abilities/skills which have an impact on the combat flow. Think of crowd-control, stun, aggro reset. etc.​

So it's more about what you decide to do with your characters instead of the formation: If you have a meat shield make him take the hits due to his abilities/skills.​

CH: Will the wizards have a magic book? How will learning of spells work?

Answer: Yes - casters have spellbooks. You need to raise your magic skills (aka. spell school) with skill points from level-ups. Then you have to find the right trainer to get access to a higher tier. Finally you need to locate the right person to buy new spells. Sounds complicated? Well, noone said it's easy to be a caster!​

CH: How is this RPG different from "Dark Messiah"?

Answer: Uhm, that's probably a long list... Please don't make me explain it in detail. "Might and Magic X: Legacy" is a turn-based, tile-based, 4-party, story-telling, non real time cRPG. "Dark Messiah" is "Dark Messiah" - an awesome game but really something different.​

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looking pretty good so far.

I find the tilebased movement (and facing) and what appears to be an "autoloot" system a bit unnecessary, but it's nothing really to sweat about.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Tilebased movement/facing is not 'classic'. It's passe. It doesn't make a game better. It makes it worse. Still, looks like it could be solid. Buf, fuck first eprson.

Gozma

Arcane
A big benefit of the tile-based turn-based is that it can play incredibly fast and responsively, one-input-for-one-move kinda stuff. It feels great to play M&M3-5 in DOSBox now because they play so incredibly quickly. It feels like a roguelike or even vaguely like a fighting game just because of the tight "instantaneousness" of the controls. But if they keep those super slow animations and tile transitions it would really waste a strength of the basic design.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Looks fine. I hope the apparent linearity is just because it is some initial tutorial zone, or some place made up just for showing to the press.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Are we ready to tag MMX threads with (hopeful) INCLINE yet?

No, Codex DEFCON is still at: CAUTIOUSLY FAPPING.

We need more specifics.

Well, I agree. As I said earlier I'm confused as to why they changed the attributes, and I'd like to know if non-combat skills are in.

Also, character portraits are generic and Grimrock-esque. I don't know if it's beyond their budget or whatever (I don't think so) but I wish they had the facial expressions, animations, and quips like the old M&M's.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Looks fine. I hope the apparent linearity is just because it is some initial tutorial zone, or some place made up just for showing to the press.

From the reddit source which you probably missed:

It will be totally non-linear after the initial area where it teaches you how to play. Kind of like 7, where you were confined to the island until you completed the first quest.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know if it's auto-loot or whether loot might just not be implemented yet.

Could be either way. Seems suspicious, though. There're pop-ups for gold and items in the left side of the screen after killing enemies and opening the chest.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I find the tilebased movement (and facing) and what appears to be an "autoloot" system a bit unnecessary
MM1-5 all had autoloot :smug:

I'm not going to start fapping furiously just yet, but I'm starting to have a hard time hiding my excitement.

Dorateen

Arcane
It strikes me that this will be a combination of tried and true RPG design, as well as compromises made for modern conveniences. The gameplay will be a struggle between good and evil for the soul of Might & Magic. I do think, in the end, the designers will have shown to remember their roots and the good will outweigh the bad.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grid-based movement out of combat is still retarded. However everything else looks really good. We just need some big-ass towns and a big landscape, and this will definetely swallow my september/october whole.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Grid-based movement out of combat is still retarded. However everything else looks really good. We just need some big-ass towns and a big landscape, and this will definetely swallow my september/october whole.
But you are always in combat, so to speak. It's like the MM3 combat out of melee range.

random_encounter

Educated
Visible foes, grid based movement, blob attacks -- it's like staring at an updated version of Terra/Xeen mixed with a little Mandate. And I'm liking that approach a lot.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But you are always in combat, so to speak. It's like the MM3 combat out of melee range.

I know, I'm saying they should have made the distinction :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I see. But they need to make those smooth movement animations optional.

The good thing about step-based movement is that you can move around at any pace you want instead of being limited by the game's movement speed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom