Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with cool failure states

copx

!Copx went away forever for almost a week
After playing the Age of Decadence demo, I realized something: For all the talk of C&C, AoD was shit on failure. You can succeed in various ways, partially succeed some more, but fuck up and you're either dead, locked out of a quest-line, or you just didn't get anything. That's it. Your C&C dead end.

So I want to know, can anyone think of some glorious moments in RPGs where you not only fucked up but actually had to suffer through some serious new shit for it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Getting caught in Blackthorn's castle in Ultima V is the ultimate example, I think.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In Exile 3: The Ruined World if you took your time addressing the monster plagues, the world would become more dangerous and cities and forts would be overrun and turned into ruins.

Gozma

Arcane
Darklands has some cool if minor shit for getting in trouble in cities. Escaping the city in various ways, getting thrown in jail, getting asylum in a monastery. It's cool to call a law-related saint to argue for leniency with a judge, etc.

copx

!Copx went away forever for almost a week
Dragon Age: Origins almost managed this, but then they had to ruin it by making failure almost guaranteed. In the Rescue the Queen quest, if you lose the fight to Cauthrien, you get a new quest (Captured!) where your character is in prison and you get to choose - either your main character breaks out or you play as your other party members rescuing your char.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Dragon Age: Origins almost managed this, but then they had to ruin it by making failure almost guaranteed. In the Rescue the Queen quest, if you lose the fight to Cauthrien, you get a new quest (Captured!) where your character is in prison and you get to choose - either your main character breaks out or you play as your other party members rescuing your char.
The same as KOTOR.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
We do some cool stuff with this in Barkley 2. I don't want to give too much away, but failing several quests in one area can get you permanently exiled. Thinking about having fucking up terribly getting you thrown into the mines to do labor, which you'd have to escape from. Also, there's no reload.

granit

Scholar
RPGs of today need more possibilities for the character to fail such as critical miss. Let's say you try to swing at a monster with a very low stat in your weapon proficiency. Roll a sufficiently low number and you will instead hit yourself, possibly crippling your limbs making you unable to run/swing weapon/talk/see.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem with making your character fail all the time when using a non-proficient weapon is that nobody can actually be THAT clumsy or stupid to screw up so consistently. Using a gun or even a sword isn't that hard, and even the dumbest fool knows which end to hold and which to use against the enemy. And even the clumsiest don't cut themselves 10 times in a row. Regular failure with low-proficiency weapons usually feels like playing a goddamn emo.

But you want to give a noticeable benefit to weapon mastery. And since the only way to measure it after some point is to pitch you against enemies who also mastered the weapon, then a low-leveled skill is best represented in you missing under most circumstances. If you can still cut up fools regularly with a pitiful 10 in Long Blades, why would you invest in it?

Gulnar

Scholar
How will you...?

It probably means tha has a roguelike save/reload method - with just a single slot for saving game and enforced saves on exiting the game. Like the old good diablo2.

Annnnd Devil Survivor 1/2 has interesting effects when you fail to do a certain mission in a certain time, like the permanent loss of party members, or being locked in one or another ending.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But you want to give a noticeable benefit to weapon mastery. And since the only way to measure it after some point is to pitch you against enemies who also mastered the weapon, then a low-leveled skill is best represented in you missing under most circumstances. If you can still cut up fools regularly with a pitiful 10 in Long Blades, why would you invest in it?
Because you want to be even better at cutting things?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion.

If you give up, you are spared the experience of a shit game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think JarlFrank is fine with missing at lower levels, it's the critical miss = self harm that he doesn't like.

Here's my advice, just pretend it's an abstraction that's modeling missing so badly you open yourself up to attack and that's where the damage is coming from.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't know if this counts, but wandering into the mutant base early on, in Fallout, you'll get thrown in a cell and have a really difficult time escaping.

This blew my mind when it happened to me, one of the best moments in RPG history.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
True.

This thread really is not describing cool "failure states" though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom