Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioshock Infinite - the $200 million 6 hour literally on rails interactive movie with guns thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reading RPS's Alec Meer praise the ridiculous baseball scene made me want to grit my teeth. And as usual, Josh knows the score.

Josh Sawyer said:
it gives me second hand embarrassment that games press is so quick to hand out lavish praise to any game that has overlap with film cliche
film critics think the dark knight and the dark knight rises were amazing films so that's not so surprising.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Eh,who care about story,the game is fucking boring.They were so lazy that every spell so far have the same second use(laying it as a trap),you can carry 2 weapons with you,you get free ammo/money/health packs,upgrades are banal shit like +damage type,enemies are even more banal shit,it's corridor after corridor and they are tiny on top of that, respawning enemies and backtracking to extend the game length,same old audio logs...and the port is very unoptimized.This reviews..my God they need to be sued or at least investigated for some crime or something like that...is lying a crime,idk fuck this.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-24252-1331327230-31.gif

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, but I've seen some heinous shit so far. Private eye circa 1912 rides a boat to a capsule that launches him into the clouds, where he finds a city. Of course he's just "passing through" since this shit's just another walk in the park. No big deal. because giant Greek statues of the Ben Franklin are there to greet him with a friendly hello while gospel music plays. The most realistic part is how the first 50 people the protagonist meets is a religious zealot, since that's how towns work. Also, it's pretty cool how the devs saved money by using the same 5 character models for everyone. Truly I am awe stricken to the point of gross sobriety.

Criticizing it for lacking realism is pretty stupid. It isn't, in any way, trying to be realistic. It's a combination of theme park design that's fun to explore and exaggerated fantasy as social commentary.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That looks like that Francis guy who makes those stupid youtube videos on shitty games. Then again, all morbidly obese people tend to look the same.

DemonKing

Arcane
So apparently this game includes the same awful story-telling mechanic as Bioshock where everyone leaves their innermost thoughts lying around on tape recorders for the protagonist to pick up. So much for gameplay evolution...

Azarkon

Arcane
Reading RPS's Alec Meer praise the ridiculous baseball scene made me want to grit my teeth. And as usual, Josh knows the score.

Josh Sawyer said:
it gives me second hand embarrassment that games press is so quick to hand out lavish praise to any game that has overlap with film cliche
film critics think the dark knight and the dark knight rises were amazing films so that's not so surprising.

Must know Josh Sawyer's list of great films.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So apparently this game includes the same awful story-telling mechanic as Bioshock where everyone leaves their innermost thoughts lying around on tape recorders for the protagonist to pick up. So much for gameplay evolution...
Not to mention all the money and food everywhere. People of Columbia certainly live in abundance.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Probably, but I've been low on ammo only three or four times in 10 hours so far. You have vending machines and of course ammo scattered pretty much everywhere for you to find. Not in huge quantities mind you (most of the time you find only a couple of bullets) but if you search carefully you can get entire magazines in no time. I remember how I struggled in SS2 to keep ammunition on Impossible. :lol:

I should specify that I play with that 1999 mode, so I imagine there's even more ammo in lower difficulties.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The abundance of ammo is there for RPG reasons: do you shoot someone in the face with a shotgun or snipe them in the legs? Choices and consequences!

Multi-headed Cow

The abundance of ammo is there for RPG reasons: do you shoot someone in the face with a shotgun or snipe them in the legs? Choices and consequences!
There's also C&C in if you shoot civilians or not. I rolled up to an ice cream parlor with mai waifu Elizabeth and gunned all the happy ice cream eaters down. Elizabeth naturally gave zero fucks, but there was the consequence of... Uh... I had to stare at the ghost-children because all bullets magically passed through them. All their parents were dead of course, but the children were immune and stood there cowering.

BIOSHOCKED!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wait, this game has that "no killing children" spiel too? What the fuck, Kwa? Why is it OK to slaughter as many virtual people as you want, unless they're under a certain age?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

That is much less of a deal this time though, they're more rare and often public statements. The story is mostly told through character interaction, which is much more common.

Multi-headed Cow

Because in it you play a role.

Edit: Oh yeah. Still enjoying 1999 mode. It's getting easier and more entertaining as I get more infusions, vigors, weapons, and Elizabeth is now hurling health/mana/ammo at me. Getting some nicer arenas to fight in and some new enemies. Ken Levine's "You have to carefully make your build" probably refers to vigor and weapon upgrades which are pretty expensive in 1999 mode. I haven't upgraded ANY vigor beyond the first cheap tutorial upgrade, and I've only upgraded maybe 2 guns. I'm sitting on a stash of around $2,300, and a single vigor upgrade would run me, say, $1,400. Gun upgrades are around $200 to $800, depending. Each gun seems to have 2 to 4 upgrades too, and as mentioned each death costs around $100.

Definitely can't upgrade everything (Or even probably MOST everything) on this difficulty.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You have to ask non USA countries about that.

I thought it's only the US versions where you couldn't kill the kids, just like how in Fallout 2 they were completely removed from the game. Seems it's the other way around though, the Kwa is the sane one for once.

The kids were in fallout 2's US version. The Euro version didn't have kids.

I'm pretty sure that neither region would have the balls to tolerate killable children today though.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
They're technically still there, it's just that Black Isle removed their models from the game and thus basically made them invisible. Thus you'd run into the problem of text boxes popping out of nowhere and your items being pickpocketed by invisible assailants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom