Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I want to be an Army dawg [Battlefield 4]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
http://www.computerandvideogames.com said:
It's here that the 'Battlefield formula' Gustavsson was talking about is brought to bear. The demo player could've opted to destroy the jeep with an RPG if he wished, we were later told. In Battlefield 4, there's been a concerted effort to hand the player more combat tools and refrain from boxing them into any pre-set conditions for success. In the demo, Recker highlighted the jeep and prompted his teammates to lay down a volley of suppressing fire as he flanked the vehicle. He then pumped two shotgun rounds into the driver and gunner and leapt into the drivers' seat.
Choices & consequences, BF4 is an RPG! With RPGs!!
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-aims-to-win-the-fps-war-but-on-its-own-terms

I play BF3 multiplayer

I have two questions for you to answer if you can :)

1) My PC is AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core 2,8 GHz; GeForce GTX 260 512 MB VRAM; 2 GB RAM. How would you estimate the performance? From my experience the official information can be detached from the reality.
2) are the DLCs mandatory to play online? How would the 'matchmaking' look for a vanilla player?

I'm considering buying a game like that to pew-pew online, seems more level-headed than COD, and I liked 1942, Vietnam and 2. Vanilla is cheap right now in Potato, but that's basically all I would prefer to invest for the time being.

bonescraper

My PC is AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core 2,8 GHz; GeForce GTX 260 512 MB VRAM; 2 GB RAM. How would you estimate the performance? From my experience the official information can be detached from the reality.
Don't bother.

Dexter

Arcane
Ah, you edited your post. You do understand the bare basics of Tribes, then: It's actually hard, which is the opposite of easy. That (and to be fair, the cost of gaming PCs) is why twelve-year-old children play BF and CoD, but not Tribes, UT, and so on. Now we're making progress.

Can someone please tell me, in a general sense, why Codexians are purchasing and apparently enjoying EA-published dudebro shooters developed primarily for consoles? Because they're "fun", is that the only reason? Last I checked, these games were the literal embodiment of decline. My goal here is less self-aggrandizement and more a desire to learn why and how this blasphemous doublethink exists.
Blaine, I just wanted to tell you that you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.

Battlefield was never anything like CoD, it was (especially in the past) a lot slower tactics-based shooter where people have to work together as a team and squad and play the objective(s).

And while Battlefield 3 was decline of the series in various ways (no commander mode, 3D spotting, regenerating health, a lot more small/infantry console maps, squad allspawn, fuckery with the weapons, DLC+++ etc.) and I think I'm pretty much done with it since I don't like where the series is heading and like much less where EA is heading, you seem to have a completely wrong idea about what Battlefield is or how it plays since you probably never played any in the series before.

I loved Tribes 2 and Tribes: Ascend is great (other than the possibility of 1-2 Doombringers and an engineer being able to lock down a flag almost entirely sometimes and the effectiveness of explosives) although I still think the best fast-paced Multiplayer shooter ever is Jedi Knight 2.

But you can do shit in Battlefield that you can't do in any other series and have loads of fun:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But you can do shit in Battlefield that you can't do in any other series and have loads of fun:

Heh, I've seen that one before. There was a video called "Shrike Zook" of a Tribes Shrike pilot doing the same thing with a grenade launcher—but I can see from my YouTube favorites list that the video has since been deleted, probably because the uploader quit playing Tribes or some such.

It was the perfect response, and... it was stolen from me. STOLEN! How demoralizing.

I freely admit that a fair portion of my dislike for the latest Battlefield games is that they've been consolized (to some extent, certainly), and are published by EA. I concede the point.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Looks like they're going to overspend on Marketing and lose profits - same old story from BF3.
When will they ever learn? Who the fuck asked for Rihanna to sing Battlefield 4 OST?

The worst part about Battlefield 3 is that it's not even that bad as a MP game. Sure, it lacks VOIP, and some (most?) maps have objectives clustered as fuck and there's no mod tools, but everything else? Seems pretty decent for a battlefield game. That is provided you tinker with the server settings. Remarkably, DICE left server owners a LOT of freedom in that regard. So you can disable things like 3d spotting (TERRIBLE STUFF, reduces the game to shoot-the-triangles, absolutely game breaking for me), you can increase spawn times to make it a bit more tactical and slower paced, increase or decrease health, enable squad spawn only on leader etc., etc. But here's where the game's problems begin: the community. For some retarded fucking reason, nearly every single server runs fast vehicle spawn, spawn-where-you-want, triangle-shooter mode. You spawn in a jet, you shoot down an enemy jet, another spawns RIGHT AWAY before your cannon has even reloaded and is already on your tail. Fuck you.

So you want to play on the best expansion maps, which are actually open and not-so-terrible, and avoid clusterfuck maps? Well, the number of servers drops down really quickly, and you'll never find one that has those right settings. In other words, DICE gave the community a way to fix some parts of the game, but the community actually managed to make it even worse.

Battlefield 4 looks like a BF3 mod (which is why we don't have the mod tools).

Brinko

Arcane

So from what I can tell from this video, Frostbite 3 is just Frostbite 2 with the shit filter turned off and slightly better textures. Fucking amazing progress.

bonescraper

A lot from that BF4 trailer won't be present in the final game. So it will look a lot more like BF3 anyway.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So from what I can tell from this video, Frostbite 3 is just Frostbite 2 with the shit filter turned off and slightly better textures. Fucking amazing progress.
Eh? BF4 has even more shit filter. BF3 had at least some colours and a fugly as fuck lighting, BF4 at times looks just downright black and white (sorry blue and white)

Brinko

Arcane
Eh? BF4 has even more shit filter. BF3 had at least some colours and a fugly as fuck lighting, BF4 at times looks just downright black and white (sorry blue and white)
Well granted I spent about 20 seconds watching that video and only noticed that I'm not being subjected to a JJ Abrams retinal scarring so I counted that as a major improvement when I can now see what the fuck is going on at certain times.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

I was thinking the same thing. It takes some effort to make your game look worse than BF3.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

They added a ton of particle effect, tessellated ocean wave and better facial animations.

Destroid

Arcane
I am very sad that they made BF4 before another scifi game in the vein of BF2142, but I suppose it's an awful lot cheaper to recycle all the assets they already have.

Dr Tomo

Learned
The problem with PunkBuster and the lack of good anti-cheat solutions

Just how bad is PunkBuster and why are major developers and publishers still using it? The answers really aren't all that complex. Let's start by dissecting PunkBuster's Terms of Service as an example. The following is an official statement taken from Even Balance, the developer behind PunkBuster:
"In order for games having PunkBuster integrated to be more secure, the part of PunkBuster that needs full access to the computer for scanning purposes now must run all the time at the system level."

This is truly frightening. I've spoken to many IT professionals over the years and none of them see why any anti-cheat device would have to persistently run in the background as a start-up program and scan local files let alone run at any time other than when a game is actually launched and being played.

Even worse, PunkBuster's ToS openly admits to scanning all parts of the user's operating system and hard-discs. While Even Balance claims that it does not collect personal information, the fact that it scans and has access to such files is hardly reassuring.

"Licensee understands and agrees that the information that may be inspected and reported by PunkBuster software includes, but is not limited to, devices and any files residing on the hard-drive and in the memory of the computer on which PunkBuster software is installed. Further, Licensee consents to allow PunkBuster software to transfer actual screenshots taken of Licensee’s computer during the operation of PunkBuster software for possible publication."

The really scary bit is at the end there. Since PunkBuster openly admits to running even when games are not being played, users are granting the software free reign to take screenshots at any point of system operation. This includes private e-mails, online banking statements, photos, classified company documents, and any other private and sensitive information a user may access while using their personal computer.

It's wild that a software developer would expect users to be compliant with what they openly describe as the "invasive nature" of their software. PunkBuster justifies this by asserting that gamers should care more about cheating countermeasures than they do system security.

"Licensee agrees that any harm or lack of privacy resulting from the installation and use of PunkBuster software is not as valuable to Licensee as the potential ability to play interactive online games with the benefits afforded by using PunkBuster software."

That's right, the ability to play a game where some percentage of cheaters are caught outweighs any user's personal privacy and security. In what world is this trade-off worth it? It's hard to imagine that most anyone who reads the ToS word-for-word wouldn't find this at least somewhat, if not totally, unsettling. Most invasive software applications get away with such reprehensible practices because they rely on the vast majority of users simply skipping over and agreeing to the ToS because they can't be bothered with the time it takes to get through all the technical and legal jargon.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Zora..._and_the_lack_of_good_anticheat_solutions.php

I am pretty sure that this is old news anyway and not really a big deal.

:necro:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So the winning move is not to play. Gotcha.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
In my 600 hours plus of playtime in bf3 I encountered maybe 3? Or 4 hackers/cheaters that were obvious and easily spotted. They got banned globally shortly after. Other not so obvious cheaters may have been in there, but the game gives you enough possibilities with vehicles etc to annoy and overpower someone who is using some infantry no gun spread hack etc. So all in all, I never had problemswith them or punkbuster.

bonescraper

Surf Solar, have you pre-ordered BF4? I did (along with premium), but Battlelog doesn't show me that i did. Amusingly, i was charged 1,25 euro for the whole deal :lol: It shows up in Origin though, and it's listed in my order history there.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So did you just came here to take a dump in the thread or do you actually have anything to say?

Surf Solar, have you pre-ordered BF4? I did (along with premium), but Battlelog doesn't show me that i did. Amusingly, i was charged 1,25 euro for the whole deal :lol: It shows up in Origin though, and it's listed in my order history there.

Either they will charge you the money on actual release date or you just lucked out big time. :P

And no, havent purchased BF4 yet. I need to upgrade my rig first and I also want to wait a bit till they patch out some of the inevitable bugs first.
Other than that, I played the beta and was extremely impressed by the balance changes and the new shaders etc. Shit's gonna be fun! I also loved to play as commander in BF2, this will be gud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom