Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
heh yeah I was going to reply with HOLY SHIT! Good luck on Pools of Darkness. :salute:

THAT game is brutal...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was a solid game but it suffers a bit too much from 'last game in the series' syndrome so you face crazy, over-the-top groups of opponents. As early as the Dragon's Aerie there's a fight against a dozen or so ancient dragons of assorted colors.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Spigot The Bear takes a sip from Drinking Glass.
Tastes like there might be Super Hairgrownium Port Hairgrownium Half and Half Lemonade Cherry Juice Very-High-Fructose Corn Syrup Cola BOOrbon Ectoplasm Chicken Soup Space-Soybean Oil Monosodium Glutamate Nicotine ???? Grog in this.
Yow! Sour!
That tasted amazing!
Ugh! Eating that was a terrible idea!
You feel more piratey! Arr!
Hair bursts forth from every follicle on your head!
You blink, and suddenly you're somewhere else!
You begin to recover.

Ah, Space Station 13.

DeepOcean

Arcane
And now I'm getting reamed in AOW2 in Fire1 by Yaka's goddamned Manticores. Fucking flying units, man, they're the bane of my existence. Should've just bum-rushed Yaka by spamming Swordmen, Elven Longbows, Nymphs and Cavalry like crazy. Wish I could Double Gravity these shits, but I can't. FUCK MANTICORES!

My strategy was always to rush Yaka and take at least 2 of his cities ASAP, this works in all AOW2 campaign missions. In all missions you are outnumbered and the enemy has a ridiculous number of cities but the AI cities don't have alot of high level units defending them at the beginning, every time I tried to turtle, it wasn't long before a doomstack came and RAEP me.

circ

Arcane
I HATE vault 34. It ate all my rad aid's and that was whilst wearing an advanced rad suit. Of course I had to go sneaking.

Of course I was unaware the armory had goodies like the All American and an early riot shotgun so I dropped by again. Boone stole my All American and I didn't notice at first and was really disappointed. GIMME.

It really shouldn't have involved a quest but just been optional for goodies. Yeah like I'm leaving a single ghoul alive after that shit, no wai.

Data4

Arcane
GTA4. I blew through Sleeping Dogs and discovered I needed MOAR open world sandbox. Besides, I never did check out the Episodes and Steam had a bundle for 30 quid.

Humppaleka

Cipher
GTA IV as well. I have no idea what it has against me but I have had a really hard time getting it to work, but when it does oh man it's the best thing ever.

Also Deus Ex: Human Revolution second playthrough continues, not far from the end.

Quilty

Magister
Silent Hunter 5. Been spending unhealthy amounts of time under the Atlantic recently. With mods and modder-made patches the game is heavan. Currently thinking of resuming my let's play, but it's so hard to survive...

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Titan Quest. Pretty meh, they fucked up the mythology once more.

Heresiarch

Prophet
DoomRL and TOME4 both got updated. Just did YAVP in DoomRL with the new master trait Gunrunner. Well, it turn out to be a sucky trait :| during the whole course of the game I think I've benefitted from if in, like, 5 times? In the majority of cases, shooting behind corners were much more effective.

Anyway that run was lucky. Assembled a tactical shotgun quite early on, which was pretty nice to use combined with Gunrunner, though not exactly gamechanging. Then got lucky and assembled a powered red armour, and then with a plasma rifle with Agility mod along with Eagle Eye +2 to kill tougher enemies, my game was set. The luck didn't stop there: I got a Thermonuclear Bomb, then got the Environboots, and then got the Lava Pits.:eek: So I had unbreakable armor, good weapons to deal with anything, and everything required to win the spiderdemon without shooting a single bullet.

In Dis, used the Thermobomb + Lava Element combo and destroyed everything. Then I realized that it was my first time having a chance to face John Carmack in the secret level. Fighting him was not exactly that difficult - his rockets barely scratch me, while me with my plasma rifle with +7 accuracy just stood there and fire volleys after volleys...unfortunately, I only got him down to Heavily Wounded before my energy cells ran out. :( Switched to my tactical shotgun to blast him...but apparently it can't deal much damage to him. In the end I got surrounded by the constantly spawning Hell Knights and it spelt Game Over to me :( BTW even just standing there letting the Knights kill me took a good while...powered red armor is really incredible.

Gonna install TOME4's update and try it out again. Hmmm I still have the stupid Bioshock Infinite to finish...

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
GvlOZ8Z.png

wABW5zr.png

I am still playing Victoria 2: A House Divided, this time as Worst BEST TURK! Behold its corrupting influence!

After years of fawning before the mighty and brutally subjugating the weak, Mega-Kebab is now a force to be reckoned with, having finally reached parity with the West in terms of army technology.

Best of all, it is not even 1900 yet, so there is plenty of time left to tackle the major powers and further spread the decline. Crimea next!

Edit: Oh, and filthy Persia managed to civilise before I could establish a protectorate, messing up the borders! Also, conquer CB is too expensive for Useless Greece and Worst Serbia. Might have to settle for puppeting them instead. Finally, stupid Spain snatched Crete. Need to rectify! So much left to do!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
why do we even have this thread? i thought for showing what we are playing atm is the screenshot thread

oscar

Arcane
I am still playing Victoria 2: A House Divided

Make sure you use the Pop Demand Mod. Fixes a lot of the stupidity and brokenness of vanilla. A House Divergent is also cool if you want an alternate history set-up (and one where Europeans are less dominant).

Stabwound

Arcane
Might & Magic 6 and Ultima 5 with a dash of Bioshock Infinite. I'm starting to wish the latter would just end.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
S&S Underworld Gold and Dominions 3 multiplayer (asynchronous). Alliances and non-aggression pacts have already taken place. Up next: backstabbing and betrayals, in a couple turns more :smug:

EmoBunny

Savant
Since Unreal World RPG went free to play, I've been delving into that delightful survival roguelike.

circ

Arcane
Continued with FONV and finished it. Eeeh.

Had an evil char too but fucked up and saved over it. Not that it seemed to matter because evil is screwed in this game, as usual. Maybe even more so. You get to kill innocent people woohoo and generally to be a dick in a few select quests. Why do developers always, or sometimes atleast complain about evil just being evil-dick, and then just doing it again? And. That's about. It. There's no real interaction with the Legion except being their little butt-boy. Also, evil groupmates, where are they? A few are ok with evil actions but it's not like they're in any way evil, more like robots or too insane to give a shit.

So yeah, that's the whole concept of the game. Be everyone's little butt-boy. Go do this, go do that - which is just about almost every quest in almost every game. Except in NV that's all you do. Being buddy buddy with factions of your choice.

Or you can kill everyone or not and just take over - which is about as satisfying as scratching your dick. Ok the former is actually pretty satisfying. Going the faction route just gives you WAY too much shit to do, and doing it your own way leaves you with nothing to do at all really. Huh.

Oh yeah, and there's not really much room for personality in the factions either. Essentially your faction determines your NPC personality. With some exceptions like - screwing over your faction for personal gain. But that's about it for variations. And well you have HOMSEXUALS NCR DYKES DISGUSTING UGH PLEASE WITH U DO IN MY GAM? But that's not a personality trait either. Ok the only character that really goes against the pubic hair stubble is Veronica, but she's got some kind of brain damage I'm pretty sure. Or is just annoying as fuck. Cass I like - but she's so cliche it pours out of her pores.

EDITO: Made some sammiches and thought some more on the plots. Overreliance on book/movie-like storytelling. Like for instance this NCR character who gets raped by some Fiend gang member named Cook-Cook I think. This guy also burns some hooker-pimp in NV slums. And then he just turns out to be another guy with a flamethrower who goes down with one headshot. And NCR trooper just has you do a short quest that involves walking around and talking. Yeah great storytelling guys. Also, a similar story happens with the Legion/NCR, where one outpost gets wiped out and one female trooper (again?) gets abused, except she gets enslaved and is made to fight in the Legion arena. Again nice concept but I didn't really give a shit the way it was presented.

EDITO some mo: Caesar's Legion. Wow, great idea. No, not really. The genius who takes over a bunch of savages for his own gain and recreates a historical faction as a grand cultural experiment is about as old as fiction. I could have maybe understood recreating The Jocks - dressed in eggball equipment and abusing steroids or something, with a lot of Roadwarrior thrown in. But a bunch of hicks in tents talking about eugenics and doing push-ups and enslaving weaklings. WHAT THE FUUUCK. THIS IS RETARDED. And nothing in their ideology made it clear how their own brand of psycho took over an entire state from some tribals. Probably the most immersion breaking piece of shit concept I've seen since - Knight Rider 2000. Well, I must confess to eagerly awaiting the Legion assassins so I COULD FUCKING CAP THEIR FACES EVERY TIME. What a waste of game resources.

Well, it was a better game than FO3 by far, but shit - try something different.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Playing Bioshock 2 again after finishing Infinite. Purely on gameplay it is the best of the series... it has the dual-wielding of Infinite but with the larger and more nonlinear maps of the original. Plasmids are more interesting and it has not only the roaming bosses in Big Daddies but also at your discretion wave-based survival with the little sister adam gathering quests.

Sadly it probably has the worst story and atmosphere of the series with poorly designed clubs, stores and the like and a generally been there done that feel.

Worth a playthrough though if gameplay is your priority and the best of the first and third games combined appeals to you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's why I've never understood people here praising NV. While I don't blame Obsidian since they had that shitty engine and resources to work with I'm not going to praise them, either, because while there are plenty of choices the consequences are pretty shallow. Hell you can kill everyone in the Legion camp before the end of the game but somehow there's still enough of a force to fit into the shoehorned ending of the Battle of Hoover Dam. I'm sure someone will argue that was Bethesda's doing but, again, I'm not going to praise Obsidian for the game they could have hypothetically made with Bethesda's interference .

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Legion is a really shitty and unbelievable concept, the retard Sawyer trying to show off his history degree. This reminds me, I'm glad Van Buren was cancelled, it wouldn't have been any less ridiculous than New Vegas. Didn't like the direction Black Isle was taking Fallout, not one bit. I actually enjoyed Fallout 2 and didn't mind the humor and world design (except for the really obviously retarded stuff like the Hubologists), but the game had obvious signs of decline. Like the whole 'IN REALITY THE VAULTS WERE A GRAND SOCIAL EXPERIMENT AND EVERY VAULT HAD ITS UNIQUE QUIRK' bullshit tweeest. It was just a few sentences in the game and easy enough to ignore, but I'm sure they would have expanded on that crap in Van Buren.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom