Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Diablo169

Arcane
Other media has followed and also posted a high res version of this pic:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Torm...irst-Official-In-Game-Screenshot-341896.shtml

Its more creative design wise than the P:E picture and brings across the Planescape:Torment mood nicely, but imho it lacks a bit of the level of detail that the P:E picture had. Therefore, its sadly not leaving quite the same strong impression on me like the P:E piece did.

Holy shit! High res! I like it, doesnt have the punch the Eternity one did though I agree.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hmm, very hard to tell if there's a 3D render behind this. Looks like a lot of it was painted.
Looks very nice I think, gives a good Torment vibe and they couldn't have pulled this organic stuff in 3D.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Torment-Tides-of-Numenera-Gets-First-Official-In-Game-Screenshot-2.jpg

How'd they get VG247's high res version?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Its more creative design wise than the P:E picture and brings across the Planescape:Torment mood nicely, but imho it lacks a bit of the level of detail that the P:E picture had. Therefore, its sadly not leaving quite the same strong impression on me like the P:E piece did.
This.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'm worried that Torment will not see such a huge increase in funding during the last days as P:E. If I remember correctly, most of the final day donations for P:E came from existing backers upping their pledges, and currently P:E has a lot more backers than Torment, like 25k more. Also I looked at the statistics and for P:E the daily pledges already started increasing to 50-100k from 30-40k at the begging of the final week.

I think that it will reach the MCA goal, but I doubt it will surpass P:E in funding. I hope I'm wrong though.

Eternity gained a lot of backers in the last week. So, no.

This will raise hugely 100% in the last days. If its as big as Eternity or even bigger is yet to be seen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The reason it's "not leaving as strong an impression" is because, unlike a high fantasy screenshot, you don't know what to expect. You don't know what to make of it.

In Project Eternity's screenshot, you could just imagine playing an Infinity Engine-like game in that area. You had expectations and the screenshot fulfilled them.

This screenshot is just weird. But this is a Torment game, so what did you expect? You would have said the same about any screenshot from the actual PS:T.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Why would there be an effect? Barely anybody has even seen it yet except for people actively scanning for Torment news on forums and comments sections.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm worried that Torment will not see such a huge increase in funding during the last days as P:E. If I remember correctly, most of the final day donations for P:E came from existing backers upping their pledges, and currently P:E has a lot more backers than Torment, like 25k more. Also I looked at the statistics and for P:E the daily pledges already started increasing to 50-100k from 30-40k at the begging of the final week.

I think that it will reach the MCA goal, but I doubt it will surpass P:E in funding. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think its already 3,5 with paypal and a total of $200.000 from Brian Fargo and Steve Dengler, but maybe they wont add that 200k to KS, I'm just guessing.

Fargo's and Dengler's donations won't count towards stretch goals - they are using it as insurance against canceled pledges and other stuff. Last time I've seen the PayPal amount was close to 60-70k, not sure. So we're not quite at MCA yet.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The reason it's "not leaving as strong an impression" is because, unlike a high fantasy screenshot, you don't know what to expect. You don't know what to make of it.

In Project Eternity's screenshot, you could just imagine playing an Infinity Engine-like game in that area. You had expectations and the screenshot fulfilled them.

This screenshot is just weird. But this is a Torment game, so what did you expect? You would have said the same about any screenshot from the actual PS:T.
The problem is not what to make of it, the problem is the lack of detail. Contrast the shrine thing, which has good amount of detail and looks really nice, with the rest of the picture.

Kirtai

Augur
Is it just me or do parts of it look blurry, like it's been upscaled?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

The problem is not what to make of it, the problem is the lack of detail. Contrast the shrine thing, which has good amount of detail and looks really nice, with the rest of the picture.

Detail of what? To me the image is plenty detailed. The reason you don't see "detail" is because you don't even understand what you're looking at. Because it's fucking weird, as it should be.

But anyway, I think there may be more to this than meets the eye. Brother None is being very evasive...

It's possible, although I tried upscaling VG247's smaller screenshot myself and it looks blurrier than that one.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The reason it's not leaving as strong an impression is because it's nothing but an atmospheric (i.e. PST-like) entrance to some glowing cave. The shot does a good job saying 'it's Planescape alright!' but hardly more than that, unfortunately.

As for Planescape shots, the game had quite a few visually interesting areas.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I don't know what that shrine in the middle of the picture is either, but I do know that it looks to me better than the rest of the picture.

Raapys

Arcane
Well, with the exception of the perspective( I'd prefer more top-down'ish for a party-RPG), I think it looks great. And they really did capture the style that I'd want for a new Planescape. But it also looks empty. Maybe they should have picked some other area to screenshot.

Duraframe300

Arcane
@the LC thing

@ Trister I'm upset because inXile proves that they are much more like a "classic" publisher than I expected them to be. As a backer I expect full honesty in everything connected with the campaign and being always the first one to be informed about new things. It doesn't matter if the press made a mistake or inXile is responsible for that due to bad communication. Backers first, press later, that's my opinion. Period. ;)

I honestly don't disagree. But, I don't think InXile could have known. Lots of very friendly e-mails to be sent now to avoid this in the future.

Kirtai

Augur
It's possible, although I tried upscaling VG247's smaller screenshot myself and it looks blurrier than that one.
Maybe not a straight upscale but some parts do look sharper than others. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's like it's filtered or it's the version before the final details go on.

I think the problem is the lighting, a lot of the surfaces are missing an organic glisten.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom