Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Game Ever by PC Gamer

Excrément

Arbiter
in their top 100 Games Ever, PC Gamer gave Oblivion rank n°1.
I just saw this on the ESF homepage.

interesting.

User was nabbed fit

At last, some gamers who can truly appreciate the chef d'oeuvre that is Oblivion!

retardoz0.gif

Oarfish

Prophet
Critical and commercial success. EA is so going to try to get on the bandwagon.

We could be in for an RPG renaissance.

User was nabbed fit

Oarfish said:
We could be in for an RPG renaissance.

Personally, I'd rather not have any new RPGs than simply more "Action-Adventure games labelled RPGs" like Oblivion, but that's just me. Or maybe you meant that a few smaller developers could get in on the hype (and be able to actually make a profit) and create a few 'model' RPGs. I guess that's a possibility.

ixg

Erudite
I think he just means that everyone is going to announce that they're making RPGs. Of course, most will just end up being crap and barely RPGs.

Zomg

Arbiter
Wow, I really thought Oblivion was going to get the harsh Black & White "overrated" treatment when people of taste in the gaming media turned on it. I guess the hype reactor hit critical mass and has become self-sustaining.

Castanova

Prophet
The fact that Oblivion isn't an RPG is not what kills me. The label is on the expansive side these days. What kills me is that it's a flat out terrible game, whatever the genre. It's one of the great mysteries of the world that people actually enjoy it. I think, between Oblivion and Prey, I spent $100 for about 4 hours of gameplay.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Castanova said:
The fact that Oblivion isn't an RPG is not what kills me. The label is on the expansive side these days. What kills me is that it's a flat out terrible game, whatever the genre. It's one of the great mysteries of the world that people actually enjoy it. I think, between Oblivion and Prey, I spent $100 for about 4 hours of gameplay.

You bought them, and that's all that counts.

Castanova

Prophet
Not when you're trying to build a brand as opposed to destroying it. And Bethesda charging $2 for assinine mods was equivalent to getting down on their knees and begging me never to buy one of their products again.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pong was a better game. Pong is still fun. Pong will be fun in fifty years. Same goes for Tetris. How can you even include a game in such a list as recent as Oblivion? In my rusty, nostalgia-driven mind, great games are those that stand up the test of time. I am still playing Turrican. I am still playing Tetris. I am still playing Terror from the Deep. Who will play Oblivion in fifteen years?

This is my question.

Castanova

Prophet
Jasede said:
Pong was a better game. Pong is still fun. Pong will be fun in fifty years. Same goes for Tetris.

Bingo. This highlights how railroading, hand-holding games are really at odds with what video games have to offer (user interaction). Hence why simple games that focus on replayability are better than tech-demos like Oblivion. That's also why, I think, that RPGs are possibly the only complex form of games that still play to the strengths of the medium.

Bradylama

Arcane
Why people enjoy Oblivion isn't a mystery. It's got a lot to do, and people enjoy a nice-looking time waster. You may not actually accomplish anything, but there's plenty to do.

I myself enjoyed playing it for awhile. I began with the best the game had to offer, though, being the dungeon crawls and the Dark Brotherhood quests.

Number one game, though. That's horseshit. What happened to Half-Life 2?

Castanova

Prophet
I understand that people like pretty time-wasters but I don't understand how people can stomach Oblivion. Let's compare it to an MMORPG which is the epitome of time-wasting.

MMORPGs have a psychologically rewarding leveling system. Oblivion doesn't.
MMORPGs have loot. Oblivion doesn't.
MMORPGs have social interaction. Oblivion doesn't.
MMORPGs have semi-meaningful quest rewards. Oblivion doesn't.
MMORPGs have monsters that can kill you. Oblivion doesn't.

I am the first to admit to being guilty of wasting hundreds of hours on WoW and DAOC. But I couldn't waste time with Oblivion if I wanted to.

The closest thing I can compare Oblivion to is data-entry.

Bradylama said:
What happened to Half-Life 2?

I'm going to assume this is a joke. :)

Twinfalls

Erudite
Zomg said:
I guess the hype reactor hit critical mass and has become self-sustaining.

- in social terms a potentially far more devastating weapon than the humble fission bomb....

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm gonna go with the Mr. Show explanation, Bethesda gives the best blowjobs.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
To quote the line of 'dialogue' most often used in the third CD of Final Fantasy IX: "..."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom