Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Data4

Arcane
Ah, someone finally asks. Odd that no one there has asked me about that. I've got a little pet project involving an online store, and that page is yet another project based on some study I've been doing on psychology in advertising.

You didn't mention what my tagline actually says, which is an integral part of the whole thing. It says "The mere prospect of sex can control you.", which is then proven to the individual when they click the link. They're being enticed by sex without any promises or offers of sexual content being made. I used the ESF as a proving ground for this because the place is full of mid to late teenaged males who sport wood by looking at female Oblivion characters. Needless to say, I get a shit load of hits to the store. No sales, but that's okay. The store's disposable, so it's no big deal. Anyway, my tagline used to link directly to the store itself, but I started learning more about emotional tugging in advertising and added the entrypage thingy. The idea is to appeal to certain emotional states elicited by things like Christmas or a sense of giving.

Basically, it's one big experiment being done via manipulation of the idiot masses. However, I'd ask that people here refrain from clicking the link unless you really are interested in seeing pseudo-psychobabble and a generic online storefront. Of course, if you see something you like, let me know and I'll give it to you at cost plus shipping... but really, I don't come here to farm sales from you guys. I respect the Codex as a whole too much for that. The ESF is fair game.

-D4

LlamaGod

Cipher
reading is hard

takes too much concentration and time

i can just get the same shit from a movie

denizsi

Arcane
If you could ask the Devs one question/make one request

Have fun!

-D4

In another thread that has come up with the exact title some months before the release of Oblivion, I've posted as well. Foreseeing the dark future, I demanded open source so at least some people like me could completely change the core rules and make something good.

Totally agreed. I don't see how plain text can give a character any 'personality' at all. They all looked alike to me...

Holy shit, it's almost like Fahrenheit 451! I bet Beth would make a record with a mod where your quest is to hunt down each and every single book in the game and have them burnt, and then a sequel the that mod, where you hunt down and burn all NPCs who talk too much!

Data4

Arcane
Well, I suppose it's the culmination of everything we've talked about regarding this game over the last... hell, I dunno... since I registered at least.

Oblivion FPS!

Yeah, it's depressing, and I wrestled with the idea of sharing, but it's really par for the course.

-D4

ad hominem

Scholar
I would make some smarmy post about how stupid that entire thread was, but that new green they have as the background now makes my head explode. How can anyone stare at that for more than twenty seconds?

EDIT: okay, here's one.

Stupid musician joke!!

I hope this thread doesn't get flammed too bad... that kind of stuff never helps.
Well, at least it would be better than getting paradiddled!!1!1

whatusername

Scholar
Dreams

I had a dream last night about the dark brotherhood, it was awesome! But it is kind of embarrising, [did I spell that write?] so, if you have had any dreams about oblivion or anything you want to share, do it here, ps. I need ideas for a story for summer school i english, so plz help by telling me your dreams. LOL i sound like some sort of psychologist don't I, lol!!!!!!

Late

Novice
What’s with all this bashing? They may be ignorant, but then so is eighty percent of the Earth’s population (which you and I are probable included in). If you have something to say, then join up and fight the good fight. If you think you’re so enlighten then educate them.

Data4

Arcane
Late said:
What’s with all this bashing? They may be ignorant, but then so is eighty percent of the Earth’s population (which you and I are probable included in). If you have something to say, then join up and fight the good fight. If you think you’re so enlighten then educate them.

You can't. All attempts at educating them end up in some top-heavy discipline action by the forum dictators over there. Merely mentioning the Codex by name in those forums is a bannable offense, so it's not like you can invite anyone over for debate. So, as a form of catharsis, we highlight noteworthy posts over there so we may point and snicker while lamenting the decline of western civilization..

-D4

whatusername

Scholar
All of them are too stupid to be educated, all attempts at educating them will end up with something like "oblivion iz teh best gaym evar! LOL! so piss of1"

ad hominem

Scholar
(did I spell that write?)
Man, if the color hadn't made me already gouge my eyes out, that statement would have.

Could be worse, though. My wife visits the Sims 2 boards sometimes....every 12-year-old in America with AOL is on there. The incredible amount of sophistication and wit on that place is almost too much for any one person to bear.

7th Circle

Scholar
Late said:

Too many of them are fanatics and arguing with fanatics of any persuasion is difficult not to mention irritating. Let me give you a condensed example of how threads there often go.

Poster A: There isn't enough role playing in Oblivion. It's a pretty poor RPG. It's more of an action game and I'd prefer this wasn't the case.
Poster B: The problem is that you lack imagination. I can pretend that I am a pixie fairy (even without levitation). You suck at role-playing.
Poster C: This is the Oblivion forum. Why are you posting here if you don't like the game?
Poster D: Compare Oblivion to FF. Oblivion rocks as a hardcore RPG.
Poster A: Pretending isn't role-playing. Where are the consequences? Why can't I join the necromancers? Why can't I choose to decline quests because they clash with morality and still progress through the Guild? Why can't I deal with situation without combat? Why are things like lockpicking and persuasion based on my character skill?
Poster B: Such a game would be cool but no game is like that. Oblivion is better than all the rest this way.
Poster E: Ever heard of mods?
Poster D: You can become head of the all Guilds. That's role-playing.
Poster F: I bet you suck at CS. That's why you dislike the combat and the minigame. Get some skill, noob.
Poster A: I shouldn't need mods to fix fundamental problems with the game with mods. RPGs should be more character skill based than player skill based. At low skill level, even if I could do the task easily, my character shouldn't be able to. What about Fallout or Daggerfall? Games like that had those features I mentioned earlier. They were real RPGs.
Poster B: Then go play your precious Fallout and Daggerfall. Why do you spam these forums?
Poster C: You owned him, poster B. lol
Poster E: You go develop a better game then and only then can you go and talk about fundamental flaws.
Poster D: Yeah. It would be just like The Sims.
Poster F: Why would you want to play a game if your skills didn't matter? You are the one playing the game not your character. wtf is wrong with these people?

Having gone through this several times, it can get a bit demoralising not to mention become an inglorious time sink...

Late

Novice
No wonder you guys don’t like them. Don’t let the ignorant members discourage you. If you hang around long enough, you’ll realise that there are people there willing to listen to you if you have a concrete argument backed up by evidences. People like Arwen, Zero, Dorian_ertymexx, the vrrc, and others have brought almost everyone to a consensus. You seem to be ignoring Poster G, H, I, J, and K. From what I’ve seen there are people that will side with you on those arguements.

-Link 1-
-Link 2-
-Link 3-
-Link 4-
-Link 5-
-Link 6-

There are a lot more, but they get lost/buried fast. There was a really good one a few months ago, but they delete old topics regularly so it’s probable not there anymore.

Bradylama

Arcane
ESF apologists do no help. It's like trying to convince a Christian that there is no God or vice-versa. The ignorant cretins are unstoppable, and it doesn't matter how many handfuls of people on the ESF think they're retards as well, there's no convincing them, and no progress is ever made.

Rina

Scholar
whatusername said:
No, they're all Nazis. Codexers are like Jews in ESF.

Isn't it rather other way around? Codexers are the ones preaching for Purity, Unity and the New World Order (tm), while TES-fans are jewish sheeps who stubborninly refuse to give up their beliefs of what is "right" and quote Pete and Toddling as their god(s). The fundamental problem here is that ESF is a jewish temple and thus a very bad place to argue about such matters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom