Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Greatest RPG moments

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ah, cool. The Drowned Nation is probably one of the coolest areas I've seen in a game. It's also got a great name. Like I said above, the undead are my favorite bits and the idea of an undead society was pretty cool.

edit- It's Stale Mary in English

DemonKing

Arcane
1. Finally Killing Werdna at the bottom level of Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

2. The end sequence from Eye of the Beholder II.

3. Finishing the obscene battle at the end of the Curse of Azure Bonds and then getting fireworks.

4. Finding a spaceship at the end of Wizardry 6 and hopping in.

5. The end of Fallout.

6. Booting up Baldur's Gate for the first time and being awed by the production values and the way they "captured" the spirt of D&D.

7. The beauty and elegant simplicity of Icewind Dale.

8. Selling one of my followers into slavery in PST.

9. Getting Mission's Wookie friend to kill her in KOTOR.

10. 99 Beserkers, 99 Beserkers, 99 Beserkers, 99 Beserkers.

Bar Tec

Novice
Slylandro said:
What are the top, say, 10 gaming moments in RPG history? Story twists, endings, events, etc.

Great thread and great examples :lol:

- Guardian's "This world is mine, do you like what you see?" in UW2, and other Guardian appearances.

- Deus Ex was full of great moments, for example: conversation with parents of MJ12 soldier and... you suddenly realize that you have killed their son while escaping from the sewers.

- Attempt to seep in EoB2 in the lower level of Darkmoon where you cannot rest...

The first time I played through Fallout, when the overseer tells you to please fuck off at the end. I was almost screaming at the p.c. I went for the alien blaster and it wouldn't react..... then it did I got off one shot and cut the guy in half. Seeing him crawl away his entrails trailing behind him, I felt intense regret and satisfaction at once. I don't think i've had that level of visceral, pardon the pun, kick from any other game since.

Mr Happy

Scholar
In TES II, finding the city gates of Daggerfall closed at night, and climbing over the wall, and hearing the cry of "vengence!!". Also, arriving at a town and realizing that it was celebrating a holiday was really interesting.

I have always loved the Fallout intro as well.

I'll probably think of some more later.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Having your characters infected with an alien parasite and desperately trying to find an autodoc rates pretty high for me. Buck Rogers was filled with moments like that.

Realising that PS;T had a shitload more content than I realised during my second playthrough. The different dialogue's and actions in that dustman bar were great. There is just something about a game that lets you rip out your own eye.

Fallout had tons of great moments. What stuck with me were the first time I fired a smg (blood, chunks and gore, whee) and the encounter with the master. The intro was and still is one of the best in gameing history.

Seeing how npc's actually seemed to lead a life in Ultima 7 was great. Actually getting the game to run took me weeks and felt like an even greater victory when I finally succeeded.

Leaving the first town in Darklands and realising that the worldmap must be huge. Getting ambushed in the satanic hamlet and destroying my first robber knight were goodies as well.

suibhne

Erudite
Many RPG moments stuck with me, but FO's ending trumps them all. PS:T's ending ranks highly as well, mostly just because of the great music and ending cutscene (which might have been less meaningful if I hadn't dug and scratched for every story scrap buried in the game).

Cycloptis

Scholar
I guess one of the coolest moments was when one of my friends was going through Fallout, and he discovered a way to overcome the end of the Cathedral in a way I would have never guessed existed.

Watching people live in Ultima VII never gets old. The cook making cake and then serving it to Lord British is classic. :lol:

k_bits

Scholar
Well, seeing people are citing some non RPG's -

The first time I landed on a planet and mined it in Frontier (Elite II)

The end game of Another-World

The whole MacGuyverism of Shipwrecked

RPG wise

Reading books in Ultima 8, following the clues therein and finding the bitchin' "thunder" mace. Made that satisfying *boooooooom* sound every now and again when it ripped zombies apart.

Wandering around in Ultima 7 and realizing that was A-ok and that I wouldn't break the game.

EOB II and being unable to sleep in Darkmoon

Wandering misty, seemingly deserted streets in Lands Of Lore

Killing Sphinx zombie statues in Stone Prophet with Vampiric touch / Crushing Grasp because nothing else seemed to damage them

Act I of Diablo 2. I love rain.

Bartering in Teudogar

Discovering the gameworld wasn't a dull, life less backdrop in Nethergate.

Repeatedly hitting inanimate objects in Dink Smallwood

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Gaining entrance to the town in Gothic 2 for the first time and learning that I was to become an apprentence. It seemed the fufillment of what an open-ended game like Morrowind could have been, had your "options" been actually included in the gameplay rather than your imagination as a LARPer.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
In no particular order:
*Plot twist for your character in KOTOR
*Hearing "War Never Changes" over and over again when adjusting the sound in FO
*First gory death in FO series
*Mastering the controls for Gothic 2
*Seeing the vastness of Morrowind (biggest game I'd ever seen, and most detailed) and finding out how interactive the environment was (pick up anything seemed so neat at the tiem)
*Playing FF6 and thinking how cool these RPG games could be (god so long ago)
*Convincing the Master in FO about his mutants
*Playing through BG2 without cheats and kicking ass
*First time hearing and seeing the SS2 zombie "kiiiilllll meeeeee" (I practically fell out of my damn chair)
*Leading an army into battle in M&B while blasting my own epic music selection

Oh and some of the worst moments:
*Finding Oblivion to be such a gigantic disapointment
*Discovering that dogmeat could not be snuck through FO to the Master and being forced to shot him...I had to create a separate save game to convince myself to keep playing
*Beating BG2 and realizing there was no more to play
*Deleting my WoW account (Like a druggy trying to quit)
*Rise of MMO's
*Gothic II crashing during the end movie
*Square having the audacity to make FFXI an MMO
*Learning Zelda: The Mask of Zora would have a time limit (fuck that! My childhood love of the series died at that moment)
*Finding myself in world frozen in time in FF8 and learning I was drastically under prepared after saving...the boss was impossible and I had wasted 80 hours of my time...(did play it again years later and utterly kicked the crap out of everything)
*Losing my copy of Morrowind

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Cycloptis said:
I guess one of the coolest moments was when one of my friends was going through Fallout, and he discovered a way to overcome the end of the Cathedral in a way I would have never guessed existed.

What way was that? As for ultima, that was far better than an mmo, and the people much less annoying.

St. Toxic

Arcane
* Unlocking the last circle of Dakkon's Unbroken Circle of Zerthimon and finally helping Dakkon overcome his fear of Zerthimon's possible betrayal

That whole section grabbed me by the balls and still won't let go. PS:T has a ton of memorable dialogue, and were this a top 66 list, and had I been sleeping anything these last 48 hours, I'd compile a list primarily centered around PS:T. That is not the case, and besides -- we all know it's really something.

Always liked being told to put my gun away in Shady Sands.

First meeting with deathclaws, after hearing so much unfiltered bogus about them.

That extra toe you could grow just for laughs, and later have surgically removed.

Avatar saying "What -- I mean, WHO are the gargoyles?" not to mention "What is the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom?" or "Can you tell me the way to Paws?".

Etc, etc, etc.

EDIT: This ofcourse including the more valid suggestions you other folks have made about FO1/2, Arcanum and PS:T.

whatusername

Scholar
In no particular order:

• Killing Exodus in Ultima III
    Becoming the Avatar in Ultima IV
    Killing a Shadowlord in Ultima V
    Discovering about yourself in KOTOR
    Talking to Reekwind aboout names in PS:T
    Creating a house out of items on the floor in Ultima VII
    Creating your lightsaber in KOTOR II
    Fooling the gate-bandit-dude into giving me money and letting me pass through the bridge in Arcanum
    Defeating Diablo in Diablo 1
    Killing the Bandit Leader in Fallout 1

Yes, my list sucks.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Also in no particular order:

Finishing the ritual at the end of Magic Candle 1 to contain the demon. I was such a dork that I called Mindcraft Software to tell them how much I loved the game (I think I was around 15), and actually spoke to Ali Atabek himself (he was the creator). Believe it or not I actually had dates with girls at the time. And no, I wasn't paying for it.

Defeating Diablo for the first time in the original game

Playing Wasteland for the first time on my C64 and learning the game itself was WAY better than the crappy (even by C64 standards) graphics.

Firing up Baldur's Gate 1 for the first time with my speakers up louder than I thought. Despite its shortcomings, I just loved that game.

Playing Bard's Tale 1 and getting my ass positively handed to me in the beginning part of the game.

Bard's tale 1: gaining access to the Wine Cellar for the first time.

The opening sequence of FO 1. FO2's was not nearly as good.

Developing characters in Realms of Arkania. So many of the skills would not even be used, but the possibilities and number of stats gave the game a PnP feel.

Finding your first magic item, it was always a sword, in RoA and not knowing exactly what it did.

Finishing the entire RoA series with your original party from Blade of Destiny.

Playing Ultima III for the first time on my C64. The suspense as my C1541 floppy slowly churned out a character disk was intense. Within 5 minutes of generating my party we were killed by a roving band of goblins. I loved how the game just threw you into Sosaria and didn't give much in terms of where you should start or what you should do next.

Creating my party for ToEE and then playing a fairly true conversion of a PnP module I always wanted to have played during my D&D days.

Ultima 7: First CRPG I played after having consoles for years following the death of my C64. Being taken to the murder scene in the beginning validated all the time it took to get the damn game to run on Windows 95 ("A boot disk? What the hell is that...") with my hawt Pentium 75 MHz. I never would have seen such a gory sight on my cutesy SNES. It was nice to play a game not geared toward 12 year olds.

Worst moments:

BG1-- Turn in quest, suddenly you're betrayed by the quest giver and fight ensues

BG1-- Minsc

Ultima 3 -- Waiting for a pirate ship to come close enough to shore so the party can hijack it

Ultima 7 -- the crappy combat

Pool of Radiance 2-- this game was just a complete disaster

Curse of the Azure Bonds: tedious combat and sharpshooting chimpanzees.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Minsc a worst moment?! That was one of my favorite characters! Not much story too him (at all) in BG2, but I couldn't resist laughing the first times I heard his whackass comments.
"Go for the eyes Boo, the eyes!! Ragggh!"
My party never felt complete without that head trauma beserker.

Plus if you got him some good equipment he could really give your enemies the beat down.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Playing a low INT Half Ogre in Arcanum tops them all. Heck, the Quest Log, Journal entries are all in Dumbspeak(tm)

Add in spoken dialogues that are literally pissed with your char's apparent retardness makes the replay worth the LOLs.

Dumdum: DWARVES IN THE VOID DWARVES IN THE VOID!
Gill Bates: BY THE GODS GET AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK! HERE, SOME GOLD AND DON'T EVER COME BACK.

Necaradan666

Novice
Minsc was a damn fine companion throughout the BG series, I wouldn't want to go into battle without him. There was noone so stalwart, loyal and mighty as Minsc and Boo.

SkeleTony

Augur
The end of Natuk. Those who finished it will know of what I speak. Classic orcish RPG goodness!

The first time I heard the shamanic "chant" in Natuk("La LA la la la la..."). Priceless.

Nessie in Wizardry 8. She was fucking HUGE coming at me from that murky water!

The first time I saw the "Terrorantula" in EverQuest.

All I can remember right now.

crufty

Arcane
Good stuff all the way around. I don't have much to add but...

* Getting fireball in pool of radiance. For a game so geared to low level adventuring, getting fireball was a real achievement.

* "I wouldn't do that Avatar." etc etc in U7

* Getting my own castle in Clouds of Xeen

* Beating Dragon Wars with most of the party dead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom