Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dialogue System

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
We are aware that dialogue trees have their shortcomings and there’s probably not a player out there who felt that any game *always* provided all the answers he or she would have come up with. But the sheer narrational potential of this mechanism prevented us from ever raising concerns about their final application in the game.
For Chaos Chronicles, we've developed our own dialogue system that includes a powerful and comfortable tree editor to provide our designers with a tool to quickly create and modify dialogues for the game:

CP_Dialogue_Editor_small.jpg

Apart from being good-looking it provides the power of lua-script that we already use to trigger stuff like levers, traps and secret doors. That means a designer can easily reward you with any object in a dialogue, or set an NPC’s faction to hostile if you insult him. Even better, the script allows for checks of the player character so certain dialogue options are only available if you char’s intelligence or charisma matches a certain minimum value, or only if he is an elf. They are even able to create easter eggs like, let’s say an NPC that only talks to you if your party consists entirely of dwarves.

CC_codex_dialogue_sneak_preview.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
speaking of dialogues, do you have any professional writers on board? I know Larian said they felt they were too far in development to hire anybody special for that.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
speaking of dialogues, do you have any professional writers on board? I know Larian said they felt they were too far in development to hire anybody special for that.
In total, we have four Game Writers working on dialogues, story elements, ingame documents, NPCs, item descriptions, dungeon puzzles/elements, journal entries and the lore.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
In total, we have four Game Writers working on dialogues, story elements, ingame documents, NPCs, item descriptions, dungeon puzzles/elements, journal entries and the lore.
kool.
will there be any story/quest samples in the future (or have I missed any?)

Flow(TheMetal)

Literate
kool.
will there be any story/quest samples in the future (or have I missed any?)
Since we are a German company, we write all of our texts in German. So you'll probably have to wait until the translations are done, sorry.
If you understand German, there is a small example of a dialogue above.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
So, perhaps it's the right time (& place) to ask if you plan other than english translations?They are many to ask if there will be a french one.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
So, perhaps it's the right time (& place) to ask if you plan other than english translations?They are many to ask if there will be a french one.
Currently, the English and German version is assured, but we haven't decided about additional languages as French, Spanish and Italian yet.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Currently, the English and German version is assured, but we haven't decided about additional languages as French, Spanish and Italian yet.
In case you won't translate it, will you allow (and eventually help) a community to do so?

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I'll personally sell this game to my gaming bros, but you'll have to release it in french... There are more people than you'd think who would not play a game in a foreign language. It's like the kickstarter thing : except for Larian, no one bothers translating/subtitling their pitch/updates, even if they offer localized versions of their games. I have friends who never pledge to anything because of that, despite the fact that they might be interested in the game in the first place. Not everyone can read English decently, surprisingly. Or won't bother learning a bit, even if they know they're missing out on nice things. People are just lazy, I guess.

Dorateen

Arcane
I take it any character in the party can initiate a conversation with an NPC... it won't be just one lead character doing all the talking? I'm thinking like how ToEE worked. Or in RoA, how you could switch party leader, ie, a rogue in city environments then a hunter in the wilderness. Just don't remember if this was explicitly confirmed for Chaos Chronicles.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any character can talk to NPCs, since this is a party-based game there's no 'leader'.
Are there any "forcibly initiated" dialogues (you know, you encounter a possible hostile group, the game freezes and the conversation begins a la BG) and if so which character from the party does the talking then?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does this "party leader" designation gave any other function, like giving bonuses, using his skills in other circumstances, having to be first in formation?

Flow(TheMetal)

Literate
Skills are used by all the characters, the 'leader' is only the selected party member who does the talking and leads the way

April

Educated
Any way you could give us the option of choosing who shall speak in those forced dialogues after they have started?

Say the characters meet a traveler when traveling across the road:

NPC : Hail travelers!
Player : Oh, that guy looks like a tree worshipper, I'll have my priest talk to him (presses button in UI, now the priest is the spokesperson)
Priest : Guys, let me handle this
Priest : Hello there etc.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nice game and writers you got there, it would be a shame if something happened to them :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom